Frame skipping
I've noticed that when viewing bluray rips I see a lot of frame skipping. I've been able to stop this by setting "Adjust Display Refresh Rate" and "Sync Playback To Display" both to Off. I'm really just trying to understand why I'm having to disable these settings. I'm guessing that this problem is related to the refresh rate used by the blurays, but I don't know enough about the subject to know exactly what these settings are doing and what problems I may have by disabling them.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
A little update: after doing a little more digging it appears that the problem isn't actually dropped frames. If I open the video processor info (press o), skipped and dropped both show zero. There is awful juddering though. It's especially obvious during scrolling credits. The text jumps all over the screen.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
If you are watching BluRays they will likely have a frame rate of 23.976fps.

Starting with Intel Haswell microarchitecture, a 24p bug was finally fixed to provide for perfect 23.976 video output.
However this will only work on a Haswell Mac when you run Linux or Windows.

"Adjust Display Refresh Rate" should be turned off and a Hard select of either 50Hz or 60 Hz video output set (if you can) in the Kodi Video Output settings.

If its 50Hz you have selected, then Sync Playback to Display should be selected and this may lessen the judder.
If you have chosen 60Hz then turn Sync Playback to Display off and put up with the 3:2 pulldown judder.

I cannot get satisfactory smooth video output from my Sandy Bridge iMac using either method. My modded ATV1 is far superior for smooth video output.

More info on this is HERE

The only Apple gear that will give you perfectly smooth 23.976 video output are the previously mentioned Haswell Macs running Linux or Windows, output to a 24p display or early MacMinis and the ATV1 both which have been modded to use the Crystal HD video card.

I know the two examples of Kodi for the Apple TV4 are both in the very early stages, but what are the thoughts as to how well such a system would do with regards to auto adjusting frame rates?

Also could you translate Haswell, Sandy Bridge, etc. to Mac mini year of release? E.g. 2014, 2012, etc.
(2016-02-03, 17:35)jelockwood Wrote: Also could you translate Haswell, Sandy Bridge, etc. to Mac mini year of release? E.g. 2014, 2012, etc.

Here's a very good website for that- http://www.everymac.com/index.html

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frame skipping0