Advice to Avoid Headaches Down the Road
I recently had a DVR purchased from my TV provider go bellyup and lost a lot of recordings. Soon thereafter, I purchased a PVR and began to transfer my DVR'd content to my PC, since I had lost trust in my set top box/DVR. My captures are in .TS format and run as large as 8-10 GB each.

I have always wanted to dabble with a HTPC setup, and in a moment of weakness, I made an impulse purchase this weekend, a Dell Inspiron i3050, with the intent of making a HTPC out of it. The Dell was bought online, and has not arrived yet. It comes with a small SSD, so my plan is to install Kodi on it and connect my media library to it via an external HDD.

Am I headed towards a cliff? Any of you veterans who have fought the late night wars against technology see any flaws in my newly conceived idea? My hope is to avoid as much heartache down the road as possible.

If you have made it this far, thanks! I appreciate any and all thoughts you are willing to offer this greenhorn.
Welcome. I am beta testing the new SiliconDust HDHomeRun PVR and am very happy. You can install the service on a NAS (I use a qnap) and have mcebuddy monitor my recording folder to remux and remove commercials. I can add remove recording rules with the SiliconDust HDHomeRun kodi add-on. Depending on your cable provider I highly recommend this service. Any questions please ask.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Hello bry. Thanks for the reply, and thanks for the tip on mcebuddy. I wasn't familiar with it, and it looks to be very useful.
And I highly recommend mythtv coupled with a hdhomerun. Mythbuntu is the easiest to set up.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
If you're installing on Windows 10, use the DirectX11 build of Isengard or the latest build of Jarvis. Quite a few of us had problems running versions that implemented the old DirectX interface with W10. I'd stick with the Confluence skin until you are happy everything's working OK - you don't want skin problems clouding issues for you. Otherwise, you should be fine. Best of luck.
Thank you Andy. I had planned on using Linux but the Dell box comes with Windows 10, so I think I am at least going to give it a chance. Therefore DirectX11 build, it will be!...if UPS will ever get it here.
TVHeadend and Linux will be a better bet.

It all comes setup if you install openelec. No linux knowledge needed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advice to Avoid Headaches Down the Road0