Fire TV or Nvidia Shield
Guys-
I am currently using a gbox mx2 and planning to buy a new device. I have received feedback for Fire TV Box and Nvidia Shield. Any recommendation which one works better with Kodi ?

Thanks.
(2015-11-29, 15:14)mikas0 Wrote: Guys-
I am currently using a gbox mx2 and planning to buy a new device. I have received feedback for Fire TV Box and Nvidia Shield. Any recommendation which one works better with Kodi ?

Thanks.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you replacing the MX2? I always heard it was a great box.

For xmas, Santa is bringing me an Apple TV 4, Fire TV and a Shield. (Lots of TVs in the house.) I'll be able to give you my opinion later in the day on Dec. 25th. Smile

I vote Shield. On the Fire TV, you'll have to side load Kodi and since it's not an approved app and you'll need to dig a little deeper in the menus to get to it. On the Shield, Kodi is in the Google play store as an approved app so installing and launching it on the Shield is easier.
Shield will have better compatibility down the line.
Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub
Switched from a fire TV to a shield recently and I'm very happy.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
The only reason you would buy a FireTV2 is if you were embedded into the Amazon ecosystem and a Amazon Prime member.
Its a closed Firmware DRM streaming device from a company openly Hostile to Open Source Software such as Kodi that threatens Amazon's business model. Plus no Kodi developer interest is now shown in the device.

There are too many limitations to use Kodi properly on the FireTV2 such as this example just to name one:
Quote: Android - FireTV and Nexus Player - Jerky video playback (not as trivial as you think)
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=246809

Here is a CNX-Software comparo as well:
http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/10/01/n...lopment%29

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fire TV or Nvidia Shield0