AMD HEVC decoding in Windows?
So I recently bought an AMD R9 390X for my workstation, which is advertised to support HEVC decoding. I don't use this machine as a Kodi box but I was curious to test out the HEVC decoding in Kodi. ...Notta. Nothing. It's decoding HEVC with the CPU only. I went Googling for information and found info relevant to using this card's HEVC features in Ubuntu, but not Windows. I'm wondering if there's a support issue with Kodi or Windows driver issue? Can anyone give me any more info on this?
Version 16 is needed for HEVC 8 bit
Experimental build by afedching is needed for HEVC 10 bit
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-11-29, 19:30)fritsch Wrote: Version 16 is needed for HEVC 8 bit
Experimental build by afedching is needed for HEVC 10 bit

Ah, got it, thank you very much. Smile
I believe, only GCN1.2 (Tonga and Carrizo) have the new and improved video decode engine. This is a Hawaii, GCN1.1 card. Nice it also does HVEC in hardware...

However, UVD 6, updated scaler, VCE 3.1, TrueAudio 2, hdmi2.0, directx12, win10 and 10-bit HEVC makes AMD Carrizo (or Tonga and up for dGPU) great for Windows HTPC.
Yeah, Goolging, it seems this card won't support HEVC. I mean, I didn't buy it for video decoding but I'm still a tad surprised.
That in deed sucks. Cause you can throw it the very moment 4k UHD gets the standard :-( buying hw at this very moment is most of the time a bad idea anyways :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-11-30, 12:23)fritsch Wrote: That in deed sucks. Cause you can throw it the very moment 4k UHD gets the standard :-( buying hw at this very moment is most of the time a bad idea anyways :-)

Well, not entirely. Tongue Firstly, this wasn't bought as an HTPC card though it'll eventually find itself hand-me-downed into my livingroom HTPC/Steam Machine. However, with my workstation being an i7 4930K, the living room HTPC being an i7 3770K, and the bedroom HTPC/Server being an i5 4590, they can all do 30hz 4K HEVC on the CPU. Smile 60hz still presents an issue however and will not work out unless FFMPEG improves it's decoding efficiency though that could very well happen.
Strongene PC OpenCL HEVC/H.265 Decoder should still be an option for AMD HD 5000 and above discrete GPUs, and AMD APUs (like Richland and Kaveri).
GPU assisted hevc 10 bit decoders don't scale at all - as tests showed on doom9 forum - you can just throw them away. Decoding 4k hevc 10 bit on CPU / gpu assisted decoding is a complete no go for now. 800% load for a 24p sample will be the result :-) not sure that one would want this.

Integrated hw instead eats that stuff for breakfast.
Bummer... I assume you run the Crimson driver? Fiji supports HEVC_VLD_Main but currently only for Win 7 and 8. The 15.11 Beta driver update AMD added support for HEVC_VLD_main for Win10. 1% CPU utilization during playback of 4k HEVC video seems great. Catalyst 15.20 is WHQL version.

You can always check supported decoders with DXVA checker.
HEVC_VLD_MAIN runs perfectly on a simple 60 euro braswell ...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD HEVC decoding in Windows?0