v15 Unreliable HD playback
Before anybody drops on me like a ton of bricks - yes - I have read the "before you post please read this" etc

I believe my issue to be a very unusual one and I will supply, to the best of my ability, any information that could be pertinent to solving the issue.

My issue is ....

All I do (or ever want to do) is stream HD movies, ripped from BluRay discs, over my network. I'm running KODI 15.2 and for the most part it runs flawlessly - smooth video, navigation etc etc - perfect. Until that is, after a couple of different movie selections, I select a movie that's previously played fine - but now, for some unknown reason, it does NOT - it's totally unwatchable - the video is extremely garbled to the point that you can only just about tell what it is. From this point on, if I go back to movies I've just played, they are totally garbled too. A reboot of the system does NOT fix this - several reboots do not fix this !! By shear trial and error, I have found that one particular bluray rip ALWAYS plays fine, and if I play this particular rip and then play any of the other "unplayables" immmediately after, they play just fine !! Until that is I switch movies about 4 times and then I'm back to square one - totally unwatchable has "locked" back in. When a movie is playing properly, it can be watched all night long, navigated perfectly, not a hint of judder/buffering. The issue isn't network related as I can repeat the exact behaviour perfectly from an attached USB drive.

I'm running KODI 15.2 with the basic Confluence skin on a 4 yr old dedicated, not a cheap and cheerless Ebay knockoff. I have not downloaded any fancy add-ons.

As I've said above, I have a fix for my issue - but it's clearly messy having to play my "Golden Rip" before proceeding with a nights entertainment, but I'd really like to know if anyone has the slightest clue what's going on and how to fix this annoyance ? None of the rips have ever failed to play on another network player I have (which is not running KODI)

Thanks Wink
No Debug Log no issue.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Fritsch, you are clearly some kind of grand master. I am not, and from your reply, the impression I get is that I am unworthy to be using your software. I accept this as fact. However, I also understand from your curt reply that a Debug Log will throw some light on my issue. I humbly accept the challenge to supply same. At what point to start recording such a log and how to achieve it etc, at this point in time, are akin to asking me to juggle soot. But I will try.
Meanwhile, thankyou for your support - minimal as it is, it's better than nothing
Just read the link: Debug Log post what it wants and we can help you.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Good Morning Fritsch and thanks - as it turns out, I'm much better at juggling soot than I thought....

http://xbmclogs.com/p2tut59yc

I believe my issue may lie in lines 7 & 8 of the log ?
Hi - VDPAU is used fine in your log - it's okayish :-)

Though the mesa version OE 6.0 is running is not good at all on the amd rigs -> can you retry with the builds Milhouse provide just here in this linux forum, pinned at the top? latest version is at the end of this thread.
Thanks for your reply Fritsch. So you are saying OpenElec 6.0 is giving problems when running on an AMD rig such as mine ?
I think I can find the Milhouse build you are talking about, however this is a build of what exactly- KODI? - sorry but I am WAY out of my depth here - I don't believe I could even retry with the Milhouse build - I simply wouldn't know where to start - I bought my player from a retailer who is willing to help if I could give him the correct information.
What I said is: nobody tests OE on AMD hardware ...

Here is an OpenELEC build: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2173125
(2015-11-30, 13:58)fritsch Wrote: Though the mesa version OE 6.0 is running is not good at all on the amd rigs

Now I'm really confused. From the above quote I understood somebody did test OE on AMD platforms - otherwise how could you make the statement above ?!
By following the OE bugtracker :-) full of AMD bugs ... I did development for amd / vdpau in another life not too far away ... though that it does not work reliable for you proofs what I say - right?
OK - Now I understand what you are saying - Which is basically if I'm running OE on an AMD platform, then I can expect problems - even if all I want to do is stream HD movies over my network - correct?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unreliable HD playback0