Universal Media Library Live Search Function in Home Screen Menu e.g. Desktop Search?
The skin can have an edit control in place of the "Filter" button. This gives _exactly_ what you want. Just because some skins (most in fact) don't do it doesn't mean it's not possible. I'm sure if you implement it nicely in a particular skin that they'll be happy to take it on. Simply change the button control to an editcontrol.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:The skin can have an edit control in place of the "Filter" button. This gives _exactly_ what you want.

and the search is then conducted progressively? meaning, with each letter you type, the list is condensed? or just when you finished entering the entire search string and confirm with enter, the search is conducted?

because it would be nice if typing letters would directly result in a progressive search...
Correct - it is on the fly.

You might want to check out the on-the-fly search in the music library as well Wink
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

damn, why havent i discovered that before Tongue any hint what skin supports it? the standard one doesnt (as we probably by now all found out Wink)
Unfortunately Confluence doesn't, yeah. It isn't really a good fit in the left menu there, so I haven't hassled Jezz_X too much about it.

Try PM3.HD - that has a bit more room there, so that may have it.

You can edit the skin yourself - it's just a matter of changing type="button" to type="edit" pretty much.

Obviously there's still room for improvement - having it in a separate dialog that can be modal or modeless makes sense (eg hit /, it pops up then type). Hit enter or move "off" the dialog and the dialog changes to modeless. Hit / again (or click with the mouse/touchscreen) and it become modal etc.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Smile 
will try PM3.HD, thx for the hint!

one idea could also be that even if the list with the movies is focussed, when the user starts typing, automatically the "On-the-fly-filter" is applied with what the user is typing. So, there is no need anymore to select the "filter input-field" by hand anymore.

Obviously, there are people who will not want this, but want that when you type you jump to the item that matches the inputted letters, but without condensing the list.

To solve this problem, the following things could be implemented:

1. In the settings, there is an option "Typing activates the On-the-fly Filter". When activated, the list is condensed, when not, one jumps through the list.

2. Furthermore, a hotkey could be defined, so that if the option above is deactivated, people could still use the on-the-fly Filter by triggering it with the hotkey. Thus, the on the fly filter becomes active after its activation through hotkey and until the user 1. opens a movie, 2. clicks Escape or 3. clicks enter

but that, i guess, would not be anymore simply adjusting the skin. Wink
2 is the best solution - most apps use /

personally, i think implementing both options would make sense. when i skip through lists and I start typing, then i do so because i already know what file / movie i am looking for. thus, the list should get automatically condensed as i never would use "normal" typing.

for jumping through the lists without condensing them, i use page up and page down.

certainly, this is a question of personal taste- thats why i suggest the option to switch auto-condensing on or off in the settings.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Universal Media Library Live Search Function in Home Screen Menu e.g. Desktop Search?2