Kodi on Mac to CHROMECAST? How to do it
Thanks everyone for all the great help and suggestions. My head is spinning and I am a little frustrated that there is no easy simple way to play Kodi on my TV. Bummer. To the Koi people, you really should put something in your software to sent the signal Upnp or to chromecast, or apple TV or any other devices that you know people use on their TV. I would be willing to pay for those add ons if it made my life easier to cast the Kodi stuff to my TV.
yes as frustrating it might be - you have no clue what you are talking about - if there was an obvious and easy way of providing the feature you are looking for - it would be there already. Neither apple (appletv), nor google (chromecast), nor those tv manufacturers want 3rd party software to stream stuff to them. (so they make it hard by encrypting the stuff and what not)

Also upnp streaming is supported by kodi. Its just that miss information that chromecast wants to receive upnp that makes this sound like an easy task.

Last but not least - connecting a macbook to a tv is as easy as connecting any other device to a tv (like a blue ray player or what not).

not to myself - start ignoring the newcomers...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
A much more elegant solution is to use a dedicated device to run Kodi on and connect that device to the TV. Although Kodi is capable of acting as a upnp server it is a much better experience to run it directly on the display you want to watch on.

A Raspberry Pi 2, Fire TV, Wetek Box or a Nexus Player are some good choices.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
new appletv Smile
Your laptop has a dail-up modem jack on it. It is old. Newer laptops can use AirPlay mirroring or Chromecast mirroring to send Kodi to those devices, because the OS handles it. They also have HDMI ports on them, or at least mini-display port that can easily connect to a TV.

TR;DR - your laptop being old is the reason why this is hard.
(2015-12-07, 22:28)Memphiz Wrote: yes as frustrating it might be - you have no clue what you are talking about - if there was an obvious and easy way of providing the feature you are looking for - it would be there already. Neither apple (appletv), nor google (chromecast), nor those tv manufacturers want 3rd party software to stream stuff to them. (so they make it hard by encrypting the stuff and what not)

Also upnp streaming is supported by kodi. Its just that miss information that chromecast wants to receive upnp that makes this sound like an easy task.

Last but not least - connecting a macbook to a tv is as easy as connecting any other device to a tv (like a blue ray player or what not).

not to myself - start ignoring the newcomers...

NOTE to myself... Start ignoring the grumpy old forum rat! Come on, no need to be nasty here. Forum are there for people needing help! People that know everything do not need the forums. Not sure why you got so upset, if forum upset you so much don't reply, stay in your mom's basement and play all alone. You see... not very fun when people put you down for no reason at all. I asked for help, I didn't kill anybody!
(2015-12-08, 14:31)Ned Scott Wrote: Your laptop has a dail-up modem jack on it. It is old. Newer laptops can use AirPlay mirroring or Chromecast mirroring to send Kodi to those devices, because the OS handles it. They also have HDMI ports on them, or at least mini-display port that can easily connect to a TV.

TR;DR - your laptop being old is the reason why this is hard.

Yeah, laptop is old. I first tried on my computer but when it didn't work, I grabbed the old laptop and figured it might be easier and at worst I can connect the laptop to the TV if it's possible. But, I see your point. So, if I had a newer mac laptop I could do it?
(2015-12-07, 23:26)Dangelus Wrote: A much more elegant solution is to use a dedicated device to run Kodi on and connect that device to the TV. Although Kodi is capable of acting as a upnp server it is a much better experience to run it directly on the display you want to watch on.

A Raspberry Pi 2, Fire TV, Wetek Box or a Nexus Player are some good choices.

Thank you for your great info. I will look into those devices and hopefully it's something simple I can setup. Thanks! PS: My husband looked at my weird when i told him we needed a RASPBERRY PIe...lol
IMYB I have the same challenge and just ordered the Amazon firestick so hope that works for me. Did you figure it out?
I used air parrot software. It is a mirror. Works fine. Cast to my Chromecast.

Air Parrot

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi on Mac to CHROMECAST? How to do it0