[WIP] DroidTV - Inspired by Android TV and Leanback Launcher
(2015-12-22, 23:59)digitalhigh Wrote:
(2015-12-22, 22:11)ProsjektX Wrote: Just want to say that this is just beautiful. And your ideas around usability first is spot on, just what a skin needs, enough of that "eyecandy"... Been using Eminence for a long time now but I this will blend beautifully on my Shield TV..! Btw, are you planning on PVR support?

I know it's a popular request and I'd love to ensure it's supported, but I currently don't have any PVR hardware or setup to test against. I'd either need someone with a PVR and the skinning chops to help me with it, or someone nice enough to donate me some kind of device I could do a poor man's PVR with. Wink

if you want there's a fake addon to simulate pvr and let skinners use pvr even without tuners:
https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.demo
Amazing work Wink
So guys...

A little bad news.

I bought myself a Shield TV for Xmas to replace my windows box that I'd been using as a HTPC.

Meaning...I don't really use Kodi anymore. Sad

I hate to be the guy to get everybody's hopes up again, so I will at least release what I have so far to github in the hopes that maybe someone else will pick it up and continue where I started. This is far from finished. There's a lot I wanted to do, and a lot I imagined it doing, but as was the case the last time I did Kodi skinning - what I *want* to do and what the skin engine *lets* me do are two greatly different things.

Perhaps I will pick this up again somewhere down the road, but as it is now, I've just got too many other spinning plates at the moment to give this the time it needs.

https://github.com/d8ahazard/DroidTV
Hi sorry to see you go as this was looking promising, also being in the market for a new box and looking at the shield myself can iask why kodi doesn't fit your use case any more
I have three Shield TVs hat home. It adds the usage of Apps and Games to the media player and thereby compeletes the experience. 4k/60HZ and stuff seems quiet future-proof.I lalso like the simple and sneak bluetooth remote with its voice control feature the and the plug making every headphone wireless. And all together its small, cheap and powerfull. That is why I - personally - think that Adnroid devices overall will become the perfect platform for Kodi (besides it is already integrated in some SmartTVs). However, there are still some flaws with SHield TV, e.g. CEC volume control not working, internal memory cannot be expanded to SD-card or USB-Stick (and some apps like Kodi have to be installed to internal memory) etc. Everybody is deperately waiting for Update 3.0 of the firmware to hopefully solve those issues and by the way bring Android 6.0 Marshmallow.

Now my question is: Using Shield TV does still mean using Kodi as a Media Player, doesn't it? That is the best or even only software for the box (and all Android devices) capable of media handling. And especially on the Shield TV it would make sense to have droid skin for Kodi, so the Android launchaer and the Kodi skin would look and feel the same, like being integral parts of each other. That is at least the reason why I was following this thread with great interest.

If you can't or won't continue then hopefully somebody else will pick up. Anyway, thanks for all your hard work.
Ah damn that sucks...
Still gonna test it tonight though Tongue
Thanks for all the work you put into this!
(2016-02-11, 22:21)flipside101 Wrote: Hi sorry to see you go as this was looking promising, also being in the market for a new box and looking at the shield myself can iask why kodi doesn't fit your use case any more

(2016-02-12, 08:47)fantasticn Wrote: I have three Shield TVs hat home. It adds the usage of Apps and Games to the media player and thereby compeletes the experience. 4k/60HZ and stuff seems quiet future-proof.I lalso like the simple and sneak bluetooth remote with its voice control feature the and the plug making every headphone wireless. And all together its small, cheap and powerfull. That is why I - personally - think that Adnroid devices overall will become the perfect platform for Kodi (besides it is already integrated in some SmartTVs). However, there are still some flaws with SHield TV, e.g. CEC volume control not working, internal memory cannot be expanded to SD-card or USB-Stick (and some apps like Kodi have to be installed to internal memory) etc. Everybody is deperately waiting for Update 3.0 of the firmware to hopefully solve those issues and by the way bring Android 6.0 Marshmallow.

Now my question is: Using Shield TV does still mean using Kodi as a Media Player, doesn't it? That is the best or even only software for the box (and all Android devices) capable of media handling. And especially on the Shield TV it would make sense to have droid skin for Kodi, so the Android launchaer and the Kodi skin would look and feel the same, like being integral parts of each other. That is at least the reason why I was following this thread with great interest.

If you can't or won't continue then hopefully somebody else will pick up. Anyway, thanks for all your hard work.

Basically - it's because I use Plex. I really enjoy having a centralized, synchronized source of my media that I can access across all my devices. I want to watch at work, I pop into the webpage and stream from there. I want to watch on a car ride, the airport, I can stream or sync to my mobile or laptop. I'm going to my parents and I want them to be able to watch the new copy of ... - Just bring over a chromecast and my phone.

Also, I've had a longstanding issue with Kodi and the way I manage my media library...I use a program called Media Center Master (and Couchpotato and Sonarr) to auto-move my new media to my library and rename it. For some reason, the Kodi scraper always detects a new movie as a second copy, instead of an updated, higher-quality version of the same movie. I've posted about it in the forums here before, but never come to a resolution. It wasn't a dealbreaker - just an annoyance.

Additionally - some of the features you can get with PlexBMC are not as robust as with Plex for Leanback. It's like all the available infowidgets and addons had a sweet, sweet baby, and they all just work together without a ton of required hacking.

I guess - in a nutshell - while Kodi is very very powerful for a lot of stuff, there are a few limitations to the skin engine and plugin system that could possibly be overcome - but not with the knowledge and skillset I alone currently possess. I'd have to spend months learning the python backend and apis for KODI, with an already very full plate. I've reached out to some of the devs for some of the plugins I'm trying to incorporate and gotten limited responses back, which is OK...I get everybody has a life.

So, maybe some time down the road I'll revisit this, see if the skinning stuff has been updated more yet. But in the meanwhile, I just can't afford the time. Sad
Hi there. I'm studying skinning techniques for Kodi. I want to study using this skin and maybe continue this project. Am I allowed to do this? If so, I want to. I'm using an Android TV box with kitkat version and most AndroidTV boxes I know come with Android 4.4. My main goal is to make a skin compatible for Kodi 16, too, because it runs on Android 4.4. Leanback launcher doesn't work properly for this device.
Great news!!!
But why you prefer Kodi 16?
Would Kodi 17 not much better because you need also some time to develop and than is Kodi 16 maybe an old version.
Not sure. But my Android Build is 4.4.2 and I can't install Kodi 17, that's why I want to update it for Kodi 16 first.
You need definitely a newer Android Build Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIP] DroidTV - Inspired by Android TV and Leanback Launcher4