Sigh, Ugh, and done.
Rolleyes
So, i'm giving up on kodi after almost 10 years of having xbmc or kodi in my living room. I started in 2006 on my old school X box just after adding a fantastic Xecuter X3 modchip and face plate (still have it!). Since then, its been more work than being able to enjoy anything. Downlload this - "Playback Failed". Update that - Locked up screen. Check this addon out - Total wipe of everything and now I have a skin that sucks butt. Kodi itself is reall pretty, and does some stuff thats fairly neat. The idea that some hobbiests made it really intreagues me and has kept me patient. I'm way into that.
My days have been like this for ten years. I come home from my job where I have worked with software and hardware all day long. I am able to design, repair, and debug electronics from everything from an F-18 to the tracking systems on city buses. Then I turn on my TV and media box. The TV works, but the media box is buggy, inconsistent, and unreliable. So, I start reading posts. drewling on myself while starring blankly at a log file, updateing, uninstalling, reinstalling, etc. until I realize that 6 hours have gone by and I need to change my diaper because I've fallen into the timeless digital vortex of "i pooped myself, again". I go to bed, wake up and do it again. Why am I doing this? I want a media box that works consistently, correctly, is reliable, and will allow me to not rebuild, update, and fall back into the vortex every 3 or 4 days when everything goes buggy, again.
More than most, I sympathise with those that have to update code because the variables changed. That sucks butt wicked hard. New hardware, new capabilities, new software structures, and new ways of applying new stuff to other new stuff all sound great, right? Everytime something new needs a design adjustment, new build, a new patch, someone writing code pulls another hand full of hair out and a demon angel gets its wings Sad . So, I appreciate all of the hard work, now back to the salt mines!
As a result, I am going to watch the over the air TV, buy some khakis, and get a 1993 Senata like the rest of the lame world for a while. I am hoping that when I come back, whenerver that may be, I won't need to rebuild my media center because of a weekly update to the system, or buggy functionality that draws me in to attempt to do more than I am capable. Again, I appreciate the work, but would like to see the dust settle a bit more before I pull my teeth out in frustration.
At this point, I'm not sure if I am having issues with barely capable hardware, the addons, Kodi itself, or the guy that lives in the tiny house in my head burning the toast. But, its driving me insane because it looks so good, but something aint jiving.
Advice is welcome. But, I may not get to piddling with it right away.
Some background:
Hardware -
OTT BOX M8 (wost name ever, if that's the name?)
Platform -
Kodi Jarvis 16.? Couldn't ever figure out what the last version I loaded. I tried some addons that would provide that info, but they - of freakin' course - didn't work.
Biggest Issue (s) -
Live TV. Using the Simple Client that comes with Kodi, it sometimes works. About half of the time, it locks up during start up. When I go to Live TV, the wonderful message tells me to wait because the PVR manager hasn't started. It must be waiting on glacial melt because it can stay like that for a very long time. Usually stays like that until I reboot.
Recording is something I would like to do. It would be nice to have a DVR.
Someone as capable as you are should be able to provide a debug log (wiki) if you are not using any piracy add-ons you will be helped. Unfortunately it sounds like you are using the typical m3u that fails more than it works. You should probably take a look at the hdhomerun kodi add-on and get an ota antenna.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Funny, i am a simple sysadmin and my experience with Kodi, LiveTV and quality addons are completely the opposite. I don't think i have seen solution that offers the same with so little tinkering. Exactly why i moved to Kodi.

You state all kinds of 'general annoyances' but i couldn't quite extract what the issue is for you.

Anyway, hope you have a better experience with a different solution!

Regards,
Atreyu
At the risk of giving advice you won't love, get a box that we actually all mostly use. If you need Android, get a Shield or Nexus Player or Minix or Wetek (though honestly we mostly run OpenELEC on the Minix/Wetek side, I think. Otherwise get a real PC or a RPi2 or something

I had to look up your hardware, and that's usually a pretty good sign that it's going to break a lot and use a weird, janky build of Kodi.
I don't really understand the point of the post, as you haven't mentioned any specific problem other than Live TV not being reliable. I have the same experience with Live TV but I couldn't be happier with Kodi in general. It's amazing, and its free. It does everything I expected and so much that I never thought possible.

I would recommend running the Windows version on a mini PC. I rarely have any issues.
Devices
- NAS: Synology DS212, 6TB, MySQL
- HTPC: Intel NUC N2830, 2.4ghz, 4GB RAM, SSD, Win 7 & OpenElec (dual boot) / Kodi 15.2
- PC: Lenovo M92P, 3.2ghz, 12GB RAM, Win 10 / Kodi 17.4
- Laptop: Acer 5750G, 2.9ghz, 8GB RAM, SSD, Windows 10 / Kodi 15.2

How are you using the Simple Client for live tv, if it is for accessing streams from some network tv tuner like a hdhomerun? or is it using playlists to access internet streams? if the latter, then as bry has already mentioned, that is most likely your problem as these internet streams will likely be illegal and thus of variable quality and reliability.
(2015-12-08, 04:53)toot toot Wrote: I am able to design, repair, and debug electronics from everything from an F-18 to the tracking systems on city buses.

I'm calling TROLL on this one Sad
not what I wanted to see, I'm looking to use kodi because I could post just about the same as that on the mediaportal forum in regard to my experience with that, hoping kodi is better. I will be running it on a normal PC so hopefully that makes the difference.
(2015-12-09, 12:29)mrkaras Wrote: not what I wanted to see, I'm looking to use kodi because I could post just about the same as that on the mediaportal forum in regard to my experience with that, hoping kodi is better. I will be running it on a normal PC so hopefully that makes the difference.
I wouldn't take this post serious. It's their first and only one. Too much pride based on their astronaut credentials to ask for help imo.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
I think you're a victim of your own making, curiosity has claimed another in the Kodi trap, you see everyone has Kodi doing everything, except washing dishes. You want to try it all, don't leave a stone unturned. Sadly this open sourced software has rank amateurs mixed in with comprehensive programmers, and for most is a learning tool, but there are casualties. Without a close liaison to the forum users, it's hard to tell the difference between the skilled, and what might pass for improvements.

Speaking generally, the software in the forum and the official repository should play well together and sticking to the 'stable' versions has kept me out of trouble with a more or less simple set-up. I do play around with the graphic end of things a bit, but rarely investigate code, I do want to stay sane.

Quote:As a result, I am going to watch the over the air TV, buy some khakis, and get a 1993 Senata
Bullshit

Your hardware "OTT BOX M8" might have been good for a previous Kodi build, but the cutting edge beta... LOL and "Live TV" well we know Kodi is for the home theatre enthusiasts... everything else is 'everything else', optional stuff comes with some development, and in that area there are challenges, dig in if you have the skills. 8 million users will thank-you

suspect - TROLL
(2015-12-09, 13:16)bry- Wrote: I wouldn't take this post serious. It's their first and only one. Too much pride based on their astronaut credentials to ask for help imo.

Now that was funny Big Grin
My Madnox Mods | Nox Version Guide
---------------------------------------------------------------
Movie Logo Requests | Studio Logo Requests
Logo's Made So Far:
My issues with Kodi so far:
Live TV would have minor issues. So minor, I can't actually remember them and being able to use Kodi was worth it.
Kodi locking up on Windows which happens every now and then.

Otherwise,
Kodi + Sonarr + CouchPotato is great.

I come home, fireup Kodi, watch the latest episode/movie.

I just don't think OP really knows what he is doing. I've seen a LOT of people in the tech industry have 0 idea of how to use things like Kodi.

What's sad is, this is OP's first post. So instead of getting help any of the times he had issues, or even asking for advice on hardware. He comes now, when he's already done? I honestly don't get the reasoning/logic people use to make decisions sometimes.
That's why op being called out as troll.
Hasn't been locked, and I'm a rank beginner, sorry if I'm feeding. Apart from the OP sounding depressed, perhaps in general, the other thought I had was why is the OP referring Jarvis? Go Isengard which is the stable version. I've even got the system to play Bluray disks and so far I've only spent a few hours with Kodi. In addition, my kid, not even a teenager, installed Kodi on the Android phone and loves it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sigh, Ugh, and done.0