DIY NAS?
Hi guys. Right now i have a synology NAS and at some point i'll run out of space on it and since i dont want to bother with buying a new NAS i was thinking if its possible to build a NAS on my own? (in order to have more slots for harddrives). Or build a case with alot of harddrives hooked up to my media center? Can it be done and if so what hardware would i need for it? In the perfect world i would build have a case with some harddrives in it hooked into my chromebox (running openelec) and then let the chromebox upload all my content to a cloud backup but dont know if its possible (without being crazy expensive) to do any of these ideas?
I would go for a central server and mount the drives via network on Kodi frontends. Personally I use a standard desktop with an additional RAID card (lots of harddrives hooked up) and openmediavault software. Easily extandable and modular. It does the job for me.
Synology sell expansion units for extra hard drives, how about that? Or bigger hard drives in your existing NAS
(2015-12-10, 14:55)pappaganush Wrote: I would go for a central server and mount the drives via network on Kodi frontends. Personally I use a standard desktop with an additional RAID card (lots of harddrives hooked up) and openmediavault software. Easily extandable and modular. It does the job for me.
I would like with as low power comsumption as possible to be honest Tongue
(2015-12-10, 15:40)dave77 Wrote: Synology sell expansion units for extra hard drives, how about that? Or bigger hard drives in your existing NAS
I already have a DS213+ and harddrives worth of 7tb space but i know its gonna run out at some point. Is it possible to build something where i can put my synology harddrives into it and not lose my content?
You can definitely build one on your own - but it requires some advanced knowledge. I just built one similar to this - https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?thr...tos.35694/. It's not cheap but should last a long time.

If you used the special synology RAID, you might be out of luck - but if you used one of the basic RAID levels like 5,6,10 you might be able to pop those drives into a regular Linux software raid and preserve the data.
Also you can try Nas4Free
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
Or FreeNAS.
(2015-12-10, 14:49)famulor Wrote: In the perfect world i would build have a case with some harddrives in it hooked into my chromebox (running openelec) and then let the chromebox upload all my content to a cloud backup but dont know if its possible (without being crazy expensive) to do any of these ideas?
But then what happens when it comes time to replace the chromebox? Are you going to reconfigure everything?
(2015-12-10, 15:57)famulor Wrote: I already have a DS213+ and harddrives worth of 7tb space but i know its gonna run out at some point.
When is some point? Larger capacity drives are released often. If "some point" is in 2-3 years, you'll probably be able to double your hard drive capacity relativity cheaply. You can also try cleaning out your media once in awhile and only keeping the stuff you'll watch.

If you are stuck on building your own NAS, then freenas is a popular option.
(2015-12-10, 14:49)famulor Wrote: Hi guys. Right now i have a synology NAS and at some point i'll run out of space on it and since i dont want to bother with buying a new NAS i was thinking if its possible to build a NAS on my own? (in order to have more slots for harddrives). Or build a case with alot of harddrives hooked up to my media center? Can it be done and if so what hardware would i need for it? In the perfect world i would build have a case with some harddrives in it hooked into my chromebox (running openelec) and then let the chromebox upload all my content to a cloud backup but dont know if its possible (without being crazy expensive) to do any of these ideas?

Please, Please, Please consider building yourself an UNRAID rig. You will have to buy a software license that is $59 but it is worth every penny. Since there version 6 release you can do some awesome things with the UNRAID platform. I have used UNRAID for almost 9 years now and it has been really easy to grow my array and even change hardware all while taking care of my data. In fairness I have never used Freenas but I found a decent discussion about the differences here on Reddit. Good luck!
I have used unRAID for almost 5 years.

It's what I recommend to anybody who asks me about getting a NAS. It's just too good...
I will be checking out the unRAID solution, thanks for the suggestion!
You could check also the option of HP microserver gen8 along with openmediavault as OS.
(2015-12-10, 15:57)famulor Wrote:
(2015-12-10, 15:40)dave77 Wrote: Synology sell expansion units for extra hard drives, how about that? Or bigger hard drives in your existing NAS
I already have a DS213+ and harddrives worth of 7tb space but i know its gonna run out at some point. Is it possible to build something where i can put my synology harddrives into it and not lose my content?

I don't think so, I believe you will need to format your hard drives or put them into a bigger Synology unit.

This is what I meant by expansion units......
http://www.storagereview.com/synology_ex...its_review
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Synology-DX513-D...B009ABM3TQ
Synology diss are EXT4 format

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/faq/579
I would recommended OpenMediaVault to anybody wanting to roll their own NAS. I have been using it successfully for over a year now.

http://www.openmediavault.org/

Very straightforward to use and will run very well on modest hardware. Also the plugins are fantastic and really expand functionality.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DIY NAS?0