Questions about the XBMC auto-discovering other XBMC's
I bought my landlady a modded Xbox with XBMC for Christmas. When I plugged it into her tv, it auto-detected my XBMC and asked if I'd like to connect and browse the other Xbox's files. It didn't help much, as all my movies are on my fileserver and all my shows are on my MythTV box, but it got me to thinking... How does this work, and can it be reproduced outside of XBMC?

What I'd love to do is set up my server to, for lack of a better term, "broadcast" its media shares to all the XBMCs in my house, so setting up the XBMC would be truly plug and play - Just hook it to the network and go! Is there a way to get the server to do what the XBMC is doing? What exactly is it doing anyways? Upnp?

The server is Windows 2003, but I'm probably moving to FreeNAS in the near future. If somebody could explain how to duplicate this behavior outside of XBMC I'd be a happy camper!
Maybe not exactly what you want, but you could try the UPNP support in XBMC and something like windows Media Connect
Or use SaMBa on the server and connect by local domain, or DAAP (not iTunes 7.x) for music... In any case, i think is asking for specifications about the autodiscover XBMC protocoll (and i'm courious too Wink )
I'm already using Samba to connect to my Windows server and mythbox - I don't have a problem connecting from XBMC. It's just a pain in the butt to set up on each xbox, when in theory if I could mimic the XBMC's auto discover behavior on a server, all I'd have to do is tell the server to pretend to be an xbox and share stuff out that way. Kind of a "push" rather than a "pull" scenario.
Have a look here: http://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/x...iew=markup

XboxAutoDetection and XboxAutoDetectionPing contain anything you need.
Just copy the sources.xml from the xbox they are already setup on to the rest of them.
I don't know what any of that code means or what to do with it - I'm not a coder. I'm looking for something that will make my server be autodetected by an xbox media center.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Questions about the XBMC auto-discovering other XBMC's0