Cheapest PCI-E GFX card for HD Audio bitstreaming / 1080p hardware acceleration
I'm upgrading from my Creative DDTS-100 to a Yamaha RX-V379 receiver. That means that I finally say good bye to spdif/optical audio and need HDMI for HD Audio bitstreaming.
Sadly my Asus EN8400GS card only has DVI out and therefore I would like to upgrade my GFX card aswell. No need for 4k acceleration as I only have a FullHD capable TV which I don't plan to replace yet. ( Most of the time I watch videos @ 720p )

Can you guys please recommend a passive cooled Nvidia GFX card for my needs ? I will buy it probably used so it may be an older model. The cheaper the better.

So far my best guess would be a Zotac GeForce GT 430 Zone Edition.

Thank You for helping !
The GIGABYTE GeForce GT 610 should do the job. Low profile option (if you need that). Cheap too Smile
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814125427
Googling asus en8400gs shows up some different pictures.
If you happen to have one with a white internal spdif input, then you can connect a cable from your motherboard to it and use a dvi-hdmi adapter. You won't get so called "HD sound", but that's OK as you won't hear any difference in sound quality.

Something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pin-2-Pin-Video...xy0QtR-L4D
(2015-12-13, 01:30)Steveb Wrote: The GIGABYTE GeForce GT 610 should do the job. Low profile option (if you need that). Cheap too Smile
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814125427

Thanks but the Zotac 430 seems to be still a bit cheaper and accourding the specs found on Nvidias site it can bitstream HD Audio.

(2015-12-13, 09:13)Soli Wrote: Googling asus en8400gs shows up some different pictures.
If you happen to have one with a white internal spdif input, then you can connect a cable from your motherboard to it and use a dvi-hdmi adapter. You won't get so called "HD sound", but that's OK as you won't hear any difference in sound quality.

Something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pin-2-Pin-Video...xy0QtR-L4D

Thanks but I really would hate the Idea that I invest money to enjoy streams like DTS-HD Master but then bottleneck it with spdif. How does it work exactly ? I know that with spdif+optical you can't pass HD Audio but with the adapter you suggest it would pass trough spdif+DVI ?
It would pass dvi with spdif, and with a dvi to hdmi adapter, it would effectively become hdmi with normal 2 channel audio, which supports bitstreaming of non-HD audio like AC3 and DTS.
If you then play DTS HD MA, you will only get to hear the DTS core at 1,5Mbit. You won't hear any difference but feel free to waste your money just to light up DTS HD MA on the display.
(2015-12-13, 10:23)Soli Wrote: It would pass dvi with spdif, and with a dvi to hdmi adapter, it would effectively become hdmi with normal 2 channel audio, which supports bitstreaming of non-HD audio like AC3 and DTS.
If you then play DTS HD MA, you will only get to hear the DTS core at 1,5Mbit. You won't hear any difference but feel free to waste your money just to light up DTS HD MA on the display.

I already can hear the DTS core at 1,5Mbit with spdif+optical. And if its a waste of money to upgrade to HD Audio well then a 20$ card won't hurt that much after a 300$ receiver.
If "not having HD audio" is going to keep you up at night, then I would agree that 20usd is a low price to pay for not losing your sleep.
(2015-12-13, 10:23)Soli Wrote: It would pass dvi with spdif, and with a dvi to hdmi adapter, it would effectively become hdmi with normal 2 channel audio, which supports bitstreaming of non-HD audio like AC3 and DTS.

What about 7.1 audio - are you saying you can't hear the difference between a 5.1 DTS/DD stream and a 7.1 DTS HD-MA/Dolby True HD stream?
I am only saying what I am saying. The RX-V379 has 5.1 outputs.
I've ever seen is the Powercolor SCS3 R9 270, the fastest off-the-shelf fan less video card

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheapest PCI-E GFX card for HD Audio bitstreaming / 1080p hardware acceleration0