Linux HDMI Audio Issue
My setup is Kodi 15 running on a NUC running Ubuntu with Intel HDMI output to a Samsung HW-H750 soundbar and then HDMI on to TV.

The soundbar has the annoying ‘feature’ that it turns off after 15 minutes with no audio signal and this feature cannot be disabled. When the soundbar is switched back on there is no sound on kodi music playback. I understand from reading many other posts on this forum that this is a common (almost viral) issue which is usually associated with suspend/resume and is likely to be hardware related rather than anything to do with kodi.

I can workaround this problem by either rebooting the NUC every time the soundbar goes to sleep or else using Fritsch’s kodi-xrandr method to toggle the HDMI port off and on again. Both work but both are a bit clumsy

I have recently discovered that the problem described above does not exist if I play video on kodi rather than music. There is no problem with video playback. Furthermore, after playing a short video snippet, the sound is magically restored for music as well.

Questions:

1) Doesn’t this imply that there is a problem with kodi music playback if the problem does not exist for video? Why are they different?
2) Is there a way to use this trick to somehow reset the music playback problem without explicitly playing a video snippet each time?

Thanks for your help.
Avr audio guard should do it
Edit sorry didn't see it was ubuntu
As you run intel hardware, you could maybe dump the edid.

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...#tab=Intel

This is how you should do it for OpenELEC. I guess it's nearly the same for Ubuntu.

So after this, Kodi 'thinks' there is always something attached at the HDMI, even if it's not.
@David1977 - Thanks for the suggestion.

I have taken a look at your link but it looks a bit too convoluted for me - was hoping for a simpler solution. If I mess up my HDMI connection, it's not clear to me how I can go back if something goes wrong!
Since Kodi 16 i have hdmi handshake problem between chromebox and denon avr

tried that guide but i get stuck at this line

Add to the end of the APPEND line:
initrd=/edid.cpio drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=HDMI-A-1:edid/edid.bin

i will try another time with putty instead of mobile ssh

if no success i'm thinking about to buy an hardware solution like dr hdmi
Good that kodi 16 has absolutely nothing changed in that regard ... don't confuse OpenELEC issues with kodi issues.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
oh yes you are right

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI Audio Issue0