Win Feature Request for Errors
When one of the plug-ins fail, if Kodi does anything it only displays a simple message saying to check the logs.

I am a software developer. I understand it is bad to display exception messages because these sometimes show the underlying code or a database connection string with user and password information or whatever.

But, this is just TV on a media PC. These are not bank records or sensitive information.

I was recently getting a Kodi message whenever I tried to watch anything on Live TV. I would click a channel and I would either be told "the tuner is no longer available" (*see comment about this below) or "unable to complete request. See the logs for details."

It is so frustrating to see a useless message like this.

I did not really have time to go in and figure out what Kodi was bitching about, so this continued on for almost a week with all of my recordings failing. I would go into the logs, but there are hundreds of lines dumped into those and I don't know what I'm looking for.

One evening, I really wanted to watch the news, so I went straight into NextPVR's interface to watch it.

When I selected a channel, it told me it was unable to play because the hard drive had insufficient space. Sure enough, the recorded TV had managed to fill the C:\ to 99.8% capacity, so there was no way to start up Live TV, which required a bit of buffer space. I deleted a few monster files, and now Live TV works - in NextPVR and in Kodi.

My gripe here is that something could have displayed a more helpful message. We don't really have banking account transactions going on in the media PC, so give us the option to see the exact error message instead of, "Huh, something isn't right. Now, go figure it out."

Occasionally, errors occur on Windows (stop laughing - they happen, and I've seen them). When they do, they occasionally give extra information in a pop-up. Is it possible to configure this plug-in to display a dialog box when the Error Level is above X, where X can be configured in the settings? I would like to see important errors right when they happen, but you may need to include a checkbox to disable or reset the settings on the fly in that dialog - in case there is a thread looping hundreds of times a second and serving messages faster than I can click the OK button.

Thanks,
Joe

* Message "the tuner is no longer available": On this, I get it often. Usually, it is because one of the Over The Air signals is too weak. Kodi seems to lock up for a while before giving me the message, after which time I go to another channel. The message stays on screen, though, while I am watching another channel. That's kind of dumb to tell me the tuner is not available when I am actually watching TV with the tuner, wouldn't you think? Could there be a shorter timeout to attempt a connection? Is that connection time configurable?
I sympathize with you, but there is a serious space limitation on those pop-up messages. I do Kodi add-on development, and you have maybe a total of 100 characters between the title and the body to use. That's less than a tweet, and no matter how hard I try I can never make an intelligible error message that doesn't basically still require you to go look at the logs.
NextPVR has all the info about failures, and you'll get good info in it's own UI (and this is very definitely my priority). Unfortunately much of that info is lost in the various layers things have to go through to get Kodi though. I've also got limited ability to display error information in Kodi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Feature Request for Errors0