Nvidia Feature Set Differences?
Hey all,

I am planning on running an HTPC in a Linux virtual machine on an ESXi server, by direct forwarding an Nvidia GPU.

Originally my plan had been to use a low power GeForce GT 720, which is on VP5 / VDPAU Feature set D.

Turns out, modern consumer Nvidia GPU's can't be passed through in ESXi. Instead I need a higher end Quadro card.

The best one I can find that fits my budget is a used Quadro 2000, which seems based on the same chip as the GTS 450.

This card is VP4, or VDPAU feature set C.

My question is, do I give up much by going VDPAU Feature Set C instead of VDPAU feature set D?

Neither have HEVC, so this might be an issue in the future, but is OK for now.

Display output is planned to be 1080p only.

Appreciate any thoughts.

--Matt
Livingroom: 65" Panasonic Plasma, Denon AVR-x3300w, Parasound A31, Fronts: RBH SX-6300 Towers, Center: RBH 441-se, Surrounds: RBH 41-se Sub: Dual SVS PC13-Ultra, Source: Custom Kodi Box
Desk: DAC: Schiit Modi Multibit,Headphones: Schiit Jotunheim -> Sennheiser HD650 & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Speakers: Parasound 275v2-> RBH 41-se & SVS SB12-NSD
See wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Pur...ature_Sets

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDPAU#Nvid...ature_Sets
Looks like Feature Set C cards like the quadro 2000 will handle h264 at up to 1080p. Looks like Feature set D adds support for h264 at 4k. So if you aren't worried about 4k support then the quadro 2000 should handle HTPC duties quite easily.
Thanks for your input guys!
Livingroom: 65" Panasonic Plasma, Denon AVR-x3300w, Parasound A31, Fronts: RBH SX-6300 Towers, Center: RBH 441-se, Surrounds: RBH 41-se Sub: Dual SVS PC13-Ultra, Source: Custom Kodi Box
Desk: DAC: Schiit Modi Multibit,Headphones: Schiit Jotunheim -> Sennheiser HD650 & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Speakers: Parasound 275v2-> RBH 41-se & SVS SB12-NSD
If anyone is interested, I am documenting my project here.
If you are really only interested in 4k h264 - go for a cheap GT720
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-01-17, 21:40)fritsch Wrote: If you are really only interested in 4k h264 - go for a cheap GT720

The GT 720's were actually my first choice. Low power, Feature Set D, PCIe x8 meant no modification to fit into my server, single slot width.

Unfortunately these are going into a virtual environment, requiring passthrough. Nvidia did some trickery to block passthough on their consumer video cards, and even most low end Quadro's. This meant that I had to go for the Quadro 2000's, as they were the cheapest I could find used on eBay that actually supported pass-though,

I would have Gone with AMD GPU's as they all support passthrough, but I have had unsatisfactory Linux video acceleration with them in the past, just like I have with Intel IGP's Frequent crashing, freezing etc. Not when I am using Kodi to play local media files, but for some reason, only when using Kodi to play MythTV content through the MythTV plugin.

For whatever reason, these issues go away completely when using an Nvidia GPU and VDPAU. I can't explain why...

I'm done fighting with Intel and AMD graphics, I'm just going to go with VDPAU on Nvidias closed source drivers.
intel works flawless in the meantime, amd also does a good job.

I'd be very careful with binary blobs.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-01-18, 15:19)fritsch Wrote: intel works flawless in the meantime, amd also does a good job.

I'd be very careful with binary blobs.

I agree with the sentiment. I'd prefer if it were all open source.

That being said, in almist 20 years of using Linux, Nvidia's binary blobs are the only graphics drivers I've been happy with, open or closed source.

I've just had naggin issues with every other driver out there.

Intel and AMD have come a long way, but they still have stutter and freezing issues when I use the myhttv plugin. I'd blame the plugin, but those issues vanish when used on a system with Nvidias binary drivers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia Feature Set Differences?0