• 4(current)
VidOn XBMC - GPL discussion & compliance analysis.
delete
OK lets move this conversation back to Media Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
Done.

Re: VidOn, wrxtasy will try to evaluate their APK before drawing a conclusion on GPL or trademark violation based on what Wolly has shared here so far. To me, it looks like VidOn is now in the clear, but curious to know what he uncovers from the APK, if anything.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
The External player test for AMLogic devices with VidOn software would be something like:
  • Attach a keyboard and hit the Info "i" button - does the info screen popup ?
  • Press the "O" button to bring up the OSD Codec Display panel - does it appear ?
  • If the OSD Codec panel does appear and you have the VidOn Core activated and decoding video, what appears in the codec window ?
    am-h264, am-mpeg2, am-h264mvc (for 3D)

If none of that works then VidOn are GPL2 compliant as they are using their own externally coded video player and not modified XBMC / Kodi AML code to call standard AMLogic API's for video playback.

However if those three steps above do work and give you the normal Kodi feedback, well then life will get interesting indeed from this Post onwards.

BTW > MINIX are my next GPL2 enquiry target with their custom GPL licensed XBMC versions they have on their Android devices when sold. Where is their GitHub containing this modified XBMC code ?

They too have been a closed fortified shop for far too long now and need to display the values a Kodi Open Source community expects from a Diamond Kodi Sponsor.

(2016-01-05, 01:36)wrxtasy Wrote: The External player test for AMLogic devices with VidOn software would be something like:
  • Attach a keyboard and hit the Info "i" button - does the info screen popup ?
  • Press the "O" button to bring up the OSD Codec Display panel - does it appear ?
  • If the OSD Codec panel does appear and you have the VidOn Core activated and decoding video, what appears in the codec window ?
    am-h264, am-mpeg2, am-h264mvc (for 3D)

Are you saying that an external player can't use the same OSD-style and same keyboard shortcuts as Kodi's internal player? I'm not sure this is a particularly definitive test.

Devils advocating, if I were Vidon and producing an external player for use by the Kodi app, I'd do my best to make it invisible, so would emulate the controls and the on-screen display as closely as possible.
Minix repo is at https://github.com/MINIX-NEO/xbmc/tree/minix-isengard (was already pointed out before)
Never seen that one Koying ever, you pointed me last time to your own Repo.

Thanks for the link. Smile

The whole point of this exercise is to get other developers actually contributing to the Kodi Android code and possibly ease some of the burden from guys like Koying who may or may not still be with team Kodi.

Openness, collaboration and teamwork will move this Kodi project forward and help everybody.

(2016-01-05, 02:27)wrxtasy Wrote: Never seen that one Koying ever, you pointed me last time to your own Repo.

Thanks for the link. Smile

The whole point of this exercise is to get other developers actually contributing to the Kodi Android code and possibly ease some of the burden from guys like Koying who may or may not still be with team Kodi.Huh

Openness, collaboration and teamwork will move this Kodi project forward and help everybody.

Huh
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
@movie78, saddest news I've seen in a while for mainline Android Kodi users.
You will understand why I have been pushing this GPL2 issue hard once you read this thread.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=254431

discussions on that topic to continue in that thread please.

In the words of Yoda... "No ...there is another"
That being SPMC.

(2016-01-05, 02:42)wrxtasy Wrote: @movie78, saddest news I've seen in a while for Android Kodi users.
You will understand why I have been pushing this GPL2 issue hard once you read this thread.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=254431

discussions on that topic to continue in that thread please.

Holy MolySad
Koying resigning as Android dev for Kodi is sad indeed... as I said in that forum, even w/Android's flaws, it's the now+future for home theater as far as I can see (unless something unexpected comes along), not Linux or other OS.

Re: GPL, what's the verdict on VidOn? Seems like they're in the clear... using an external player w/their custom Kodi (basically some UI changes and Kodi player wrapper) & GPL code now shared.
My HT
Thank god ! Smile

I will change the thread title then if this is the case.

So whilst on the subject what limitations do you see when using an External Player like the VidOn one:
- subtitles ?
- info ?
etc....

btw: I see a playercorefactory.xml in the VidOn log to confirm this external player as well.

Good for them, but w/half-res 3D output as wesk05 has said, not much of a celebration. But, better than nothing I suppose.
My HT
(2016-01-05, 02:57)hdmkv Wrote: Good for them, but w/half-res 3D output as wesk05 has said, not much of a celebration. But, better than nothing I suppose.

i think thats just a bug in the newest version, install vidon xbmc 13.2 and check the 3d output, when i used it on an s802 box i got full 3d output, well i thought i did, i can tell the difference because with sbs and tab stuff i get different 3D tv options, when i play a full 3D there are less 3d tv options(RPi, bluray player), you might have to double check because its been a while but im pretty sure
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
btw wrxtasy, the title of this thread is still pretty misleading, your making it sound like they somehow became compliant here within the time frame of this thread, when in reality nothings changed except now you understand it yourself a bit more. you were told before you made this thread that Vidon was probably GPL compliant, and it was explained they used their own player to do the 3D MVC and HD audio stuff. Its easy to forget stuff or make mistakes but at least make it right, delete this thread.
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VidOn XBMC - GPL discussion & compliance analysis.4