S905 Boxes and Android 5.1.1
(2016-01-08, 05:11)wrxtasy Wrote: I have this device as a development Board and the amount of Shit and Illegal Stuff that is included straight out of the factory with this device is alarming. This is the very common standard of Pirate crap coming out of Generic Asian Android box sellers.

30 minutes at least it spent updating and downloading illegal addons....
Wiped that rubbish immediately.

As Ned said, if you can find Firmware you may get the device running semi-ok, maybe.
The commercial Firmware I have for the K1 Plus board cannot be released to joe public, so please do not ask me.

Good luck in your hunt !

according to cnx, the box can be rooted...is it of any help for installing a vanilla version of Kodi?
Had the exact writable problem with the Tronsmart s905 telos. If the the box is rooted, one can fix the writable issue by modding the permission xml
Instruction is here: http://forum.tronsmart.com/forum/vega-s9...qeB6SorLjY
Do you guys still suggest buying it? I like that it can be used for DVB-T as well and it's pretty cheap at geekbuying.
I picked up a MXQ Pro 4K model from Am@zon for $30. The add-ons included were all banned from this forum, so I uninstalled the version of Kodi that came with it and did a fresh install of 16.1. The box lasted about 24 hours before it started locking up. I guess it's true... you get what you pay for!

These are like e-cigs in a way. There are so many 'clones' you never know what you're going to get. The one I received was not even the one I ordered! Close, but from a different supplier. The packaging said OTTTV Box, but the unit had leelbox branding. The updates don't work. The version of Android installed lists an email address in China. nuf said?

So, it's back to my Raspberry Pi 3. (bulletproof)
I think if you look at the posts above it has been pointed out that the S905 versions of KODI were probably custom for the S905 SOC. You may be better off uninstalling the newest version of KODI, digging into the android folders on the box and finding/re-installing the version of KODI it came with if it was a custom build. You can still get rid of the offending plug-ins... Just a thought. Best of Luck!
As far as I know, the only issue with some S905 hardware out there was on the firmware side of things. Kodi v16.1 should run well on the hardware, so long as the firmware has the latest fixes from Amlogic. The only exception to this is audio passthrough, but SPMC (wiki) has some v16-based work arounds for that.

However, I am not 100% sure on that. There are multiple revisions to S905 and a technically newer processor called S905X, or something like that. Some issues could possibly be specific to a revision, IIRC.
I've been using the MX-Pro S905 boxes for a while with almost no problems except for minor things with fairly easy workarounds. The very first thing I do with them is uninstall all the BS bloatware and the pre-installed Kodi (they're always outdated anyway). A clean Jarvis install works great. The ONLY complaint I have is the Android 5.1 write permission block to external SD or USB storage. I've been looking for a way to backup my settings out of the box. I can back them up to local. I've then tried to move or copy to external, but no success at all. Anybody know how I can do this? Setting the xbmc backup storage path to external drive gives message like "your selected storage may not be writable, do you want to continue?" If I back up to local then try to use something like ES Browser to copy or move to external drive, I get errors with either attempt.

Wow, sorry, I quickly found that ES can easily set shared location on LAN. That made me think of trying to set the backup path in xbmc backup to SMB, and voila - it worked. So, the backing up to external storage is actually pretty easily solved as well.
have any of you flash OpenELEC? It works fairly well on MXQ Pro 4K, only issue it has is freezing. If you browse you library with the Wall view it sometimes freezes when you scroll quickly, if you press the down arrow vs holding it is enough that it will not freeze.

I'm actually trying to build an updated image that includes DTS HD and True HD as well as the power off fix but running into trouble for my board revision.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=280734
(2016-06-26, 18:16)silvanet Wrote: I've been using the MX-Pro S905 boxes for a while with almost no problems except for minor things with fairly easy workarounds. The very first thing I do with them is uninstall all the BS bloatware and the pre-installed Kodi (they're always outdated anyway). A clean Jarvis install works great. The ONLY complaint I have is the Android 5.1 write permission block to external SD or USB storage. I've been looking for a way to backup my settings out of the box. I can back them up to local. I've then tried to move or copy to external, but no success at all. Anybody know how I can do this? Setting the xbmc backup storage path to external drive gives message like "your selected storage may not be writable, do you want to continue?" If I back up to local then try to use something like ES Browser to copy or move to external drive, I get errors with either attempt.

Wow, sorry, I quickly found that ES can easily set shared location on LAN. That made me think of trying to set the backup path in xbmc backup to SMB, and voila - it worked. So, the backing up to external storage is actually pretty easily solved as well.

ES can write to external storage because it was properly compiled with changes in Android > 5.1 so it knows how to ask for permissions to use external storage. KODI is not properly made to ask permissions for Android > 5.1 and can't write to external storage. The "fix" that used to work for kitkat by modifying permissions.xml does not work on Android 5.1. So this is something that needs to be adressed in KODI.

And the "issue of storage" is not solved easily - it is solved for YOUR CASE but in essence, KODI does not work with new android permissions. I am making plugin that needs to write to USB flash disk where I have the data (pictures) and beacuse of this, I can't. Works well under windows.....

D>
tell us exactly what needs changing and it will get done.
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
(2016-06-28, 14:39)MrMC Wrote: tell us exactly what needs changing and it will get done.

preferably in code Smile
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Well, I'm not the developer of Kodi.... but anyone with google shouldn't have a problem to find this info, especially if he is developng for Android....

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34382...-is-denied

https://developer.android.com/training/p...sting.html
Anybody know where to get the Kodi .apk for these boxes? I upgraded to 16.1 and thus lost my quad processor support. Sad I need to go back to the one that came with it.
(2016-07-18, 01:30)tommymsw Wrote: Anybody know where to get the Kodi .apk for these boxes? I upgraded to 16.1 and thus lost my quad processor support. Sad I need to go back to the one that came with it.

Then ask your manufacturer or flash the stock firmware back.
You can't loose quad-core CPU support.
(2016-07-18, 01:30)tommymsw Wrote: Anybody know where to get the Kodi .apk for these boxes? I upgraded to 16.1 and thus lost my quad processor support. Sad I need to go back to the one that came with it.
What is going on is the CPU Governor in most Android boxes are using a mode called HotPlug, whereby CPU's are actually shutdown down during low CPU loads to conserve power and lower generated heat.
This is a hangover of the Android OS on smartphones to save battery power.

Personally I use the Interactive governor mode as a minimum, and for AMLogic boxes running LibreELEC, you can up that to Performance mode. Especially on properly engineered (fanless) devices like the ODROID C2 or WeTek Hub that have a dirty great Heat Sinks to dissipate thermal energy. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
S905 Boxes and Android 5.1.10