Android Kodi for Nvidia Shield TV: no way to see files on Synology DiskStation
I just connected a Nvidia Shield TV to my SONY television.
I downloaded KODI to watch videos on my Synology DiskStation DS214.
I have a folder called "video" on diskstation that I can access from any PC on my LAN.
However I have problems to see it from Kodi.

Please, note that I am NOT interested to any media service that pretends to classify and group videos by genres or by using an external metadata base. I just want to browse folders and select the file to see because they are all my own videos that I grouped by folders according to my own criteria. So, forget any suggestion to use mediaservers like Synology Media Server or Plex, please.

Kodi allows to see servers on network in many different ways.
For example, by NFS, SAMBA (smb://), WebDEV, UnPn.
I tried all of them, with different results.

UnPn: this is the only one that really works, but if I add folders or files to DiskStation, there is no way to update the Kodi library. No refresh, no update. So, it is not really a file browsing. It upload the list of files once and never update changes.

Samba: it does not see the diskstation, even if the Windows (Samba) service is enabled.

WebDEV: it does not see the diskstation, even if the WebDEV service is enabled.

NFS: it accesses the diskstation but it does not see any change to file system. It looks like Kodi make a snapshot of the file system once that is never updated when files or folders are added.

Is there any way to see by Kodi the REAL files that you actually have on a diskstation?
Calm down with the red text section sunshine. It's like you're attacking people before they have said anything.

FYI, there are two big Shield threads - http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=220297 & http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=228158

As you can, you should be using NFS. You may have a permission issue with that folder. Is it the default Video folder?

Are you setting a scrapper?

Always a good video to watch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAn3rX_Km_Q
Using Kodi just fine on my 16GB and 500GB Shield TV units and Synology 1812+. Via SMB.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
debug_log (wiki) might shine some light on why its not working as well
(2015-12-18, 14:44)Hiphopopotamus Wrote: Calm down with the red text section sunshine. It's like you're attacking people before they have said anything.

It was not an attack no offense was intended. Simply I highlighted it to prevent that kind of reply.
(2015-12-18, 14:44)Hiphopopotamus Wrote: As you can, you should be using NFS. You may have a permission issue with that folder. Is it the default Video folder?

I tried to use NFS but it does not work. Please, note that access to folders is protected by password (it has to be). It is NOT the default video folder, but various folders with different types of videos.
(2015-12-18, 14:44)Hiphopopotamus Wrote: Are you setting a scrapper?

What a scrapper isHuh
(2015-12-18, 15:13)hdmkv Wrote: Using Kodi just fine on my 16GB and 500GB Shield TV units and Synology 1812+. Via SMB.

How? Can you share more info? If I browse smb:// it does NOT see the diskstation.
Scrapper should have read scraper for scraping metadata. I assume you also put in the ip address of your didkstation after the smb://
(2015-12-18, 19:06)dejudicibus Wrote:
(2015-12-18, 14:44)Hiphopopotamus Wrote: As you can, you should be using NFS. You may have a permission issue with that folder. Is it the default Video folder?

I tried to use NFS but it does not work. Please, note that access to folders is protected by password (it has to be). It is NOT the default video folder, but various folders with different types of videos.

Something is wrong, as I suggested, i would think it is a permission issue. NFS is the ideal connection, it uses less overhead than SMB, so whenever you have it available, use it.
I have a Synology DS415+, I connect to the default Video folder, but more importantly I connect to other folders that actually have my media in via NFS.

I suggest you read this about file sharing from the Kodi Wiki- http://kodi.wiki/view/File_sharing#

Network File System, or NFS, is a way to share folders over a network, and was added to XBMC in v11 (Eden). The main benefits of using NFS instead of SMB are its low protocol overhead (which allows it to send data across a network more quickly) and its use of simple UID's to authenticate users rather than username/password combinations. This part bears repeating, as many people are confused on this point and try to create usernames and passwords to get Kodi to work with NFS: NFS does not use usernames or passwords as logins; it uses a UNIX-based "userID" (UID) alone.

Until a few days ago I couldn't aces the default Video folder as the NFS permissions were not set, I changed it to as per screen shot below, and now I can browse to it from Kodi.

NFS Permission screen shot - http://i.imgur.com/Sj77CNG.jpg

And yes, I meant scraper, not scrapper, as per the video I posted.
(2015-12-19, 05:58)Hiphopopotamus Wrote: NFS does not use usernames or passwords as logins; it uses a UNIX-based "userID" (UID) alone.[/i]
Until a few days ago I couldn't aces the default Video folder as the NFS permissions were not set, I changed it to as per screen shot below, and now I can browse to it from Kodi.
NFS Permission screen shot - http://i.imgur.com/Sj77CNG.jpg

Well, my diskstation is protected by password and my folders are too, because I do not want to share all of them in LAN. My understanding is that if I use NFS, anybody can access those file with read/write granted as an admin. That is not a great idea...
(2015-12-20, 11:34)dejudicibus Wrote: My understanding is that if I use NFS, anybody can access those file with read/write granted as an admin. That is not a great idea...
That's not the case.
NFS uses per client access permissions, so if your Shield for example has IP 192.168.0.2, you can setup NFS to only allow access for that IP.
You can also set how the user will be matched. Default is that both systems have the same user ids (which does not work with android).

So you can set up NFS on your NAS to allow read access only for the IP of your Shield and no one else.
(2015-12-18, 19:07)dejudicibus Wrote:
(2015-12-18, 15:13)hdmkv Wrote: Using Kodi just fine on my 16GB and 500GB Shield TV units and Synology 1812+. Via SMB.

How? Can you share more info? If I browse smb:// it does NOT see the diskstation.
Nothing special... in Kodi, I add files, choose SMB, find my Synology shares and add them. That's it.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2015-12-21, 02:54)hdmkv Wrote:
(2015-12-18, 19:07)dejudicibus Wrote:

Nothing special... in Kodi, I add files, choose SMB, find my Synology shares and add them. That's it.

That's the point. If I select smb:// I do not see my Synology disk and shares. Any idea why?
(2015-12-20, 21:42)wweich Wrote:
(2015-12-20, 11:34)dejudicibus Wrote: My understanding is that if I use NFS, anybody can access those file with read/write granted as an admin. That is not a great idea...
That's not the case.
NFS uses per client access permissions, so if your Shield for example has IP 192.168.0.2, you can setup NFS to only allow access for that IP.
You can also set how the user will be matched. Default is that both systems have the same user ids (which does not work with android).

So you can set up NFS on your NAS to allow read access only for the IP of your Shield and no one else.

My Shield IP address changes. It is based on DHCP.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi for Nvidia Shield TV: no way to see files on Synology DiskStation0