Android Kodi for Nvidia Shield TV: no way to see files on Synology DiskStation
(2015-12-23, 19:40)dejudicibus Wrote:
(2015-12-20, 21:42)wweich Wrote:
(2015-12-20, 11:34)dejudicibus Wrote: My understanding is that if I use NFS, anybody can access those file with read/write granted as an admin. That is not a great idea...
That's not the case.
NFS uses per client access permissions, so if your Shield for example has IP 192.168.0.2, you can setup NFS to only allow access for that IP.
You can also set how the user will be matched. Default is that both systems have the same user ids (which does not work with android).

So you can set up NFS on your NAS to allow read access only for the IP of your Shield and no one else.

My Shield IP address changes. It is based on DHCP.

So make it static or set a range in nfs.
Did the OP get it sorted out?

Just commenting as I've had a similar problem accessing files from my Synology DS from Kodi on my new Shield TV.

When trying to add the folders via smb it just gives me a message saying unable to access. Until now I've been using OpenElec, and when adding the paths on that it immediately gave me the option to enter user credentials to access the DS. For some reason it didn't on the Shield Kodi, but when I tried to access one of my Windows PCs via smb it did bring up the login credentials box, so maybe it's not seeing the DS as smb?

Anyway, after seeing this thread and having a google and I decided to try NFS instead. Using the image from HipHopopotamus and this article I changed the NFS permissions and straight away I got access to the shares and Kodi on my Shield TV has picked up all the files fine.

On the issue of security, can you not just set the permissions for read only and specify the IP address of the device?

And as mentioned above, either set a static IP address in your device or assign a static one in your router?

I assign all my devices an IP address as 1) I can then easily access them from other devices as I know their addresses, and 2) I can easily see if someone had managed to get on my system as they're likely to have a DHCP address in the limited rage I have set for DHCP. It certainly makes it easier to identify family and friend's devices when they're visiting!
I have almost the same config. No problem.
First make sure that Synology located in the same work group and same IP address range . It means you have to be connected wired to the same router or at least connected over Wifi from same router .Check Ip before.
Than on Kodi.
If you start Video -Files - Add video.

add video source - Browse - Add network location
Protocol - Windows SMB
Server name: you can type exactly name (Synology) or ip address 192.168.0(1) ... Or use Browse button
Username
Password.
Everything must work. Dont listen advisers re NFS and another connections. Samba - best solution.
(2015-12-23, 19:38)dejudicibus Wrote:
(2015-12-21, 02:54)hdmkv Wrote:
(2015-12-18, 19:07)dejudicibus Wrote: How? Can you share more info? If I browse smb:// it does NOT see the diskstation.
Nothing special... in Kodi, I add files, choose SMB, find my Synology shares and add them. That's it.

That's the point. If I select smb:// I do not see my Synology disk and shares. Any idea why?

I had the same issue with my music files on my WHS. The fix for me which should hopefully work for you:

Files >> Add xxx >> Browse >> Browse For New Share >> at the very bottom of the list which makes it easy to miss select ADD NETWORK LOCATION and in the next screen fill in the data. Use your Admin credentials and you should be fine. I used smb:// and it works like a charm.

Hope this helps you

EDIT: Z gave you the same answer as mine only his typing was much faster. Smile

Smile
I know it a response long time after, but I had same problems with Synology and Kodi/Android and perhaps other people should encounter the same problem.
The cause is that for security, I changed Samba version protocol from 1 (unsecured) to level 2 minimum.
But Android 7 is not compatible yet. It supports only Samba 1!!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi for Nvidia Shield TV: no way to see files on Synology DiskStation0