Create strm file that starts the corresponding streaming app
Hey guys,

I'd like to know if it's possible to create a strm file, scrape it and then use it to start the corresponding streaming app. For example I want to have Rules Of Engagement in my KODI library - I'd create a file named "Rules Of Engagement S01E01.strm" that would launch the Netflix app. I know it's possible to create such strm files for KODI addons, but I haven't found anything concerning Android apps. I reckon it should be possible since it is possible to start the apps right ouf of Kodi, but I don't know how to use that in strm files.
Possibly via external player (wiki) rules, as a way to fling the app-specific URL to the right place. I couldn't get it to work, though, so I think some other things in Kodi are needed.
I'll give it a try once my shield arrives. Thx for the link!
I've created this file
Code:
StartAndroidActivity("com.netflix.ninja")

and named it "Person Of Interest S01E01.strm". Kodi scraped it correctly, but gives me the "Playlist - can't find a next item to play" error upon trying to load the episode. The log says this:

Quote:21:43:10 T:1116903680 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: Opening: /storage/emulated/0/Serien/Person Of Interest/StartAndroidActivity("com.netflix.ninja")
21:43:10 T:1116903680 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(player):Tongueut MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED
21:43:10 T:2091599232 NOTICE: Thread DVDPlayer start, auto delete: false
21:43:10 T:2091599232 NOTICE: Creating InputStream
21:43:10 T:2091599232 ERROR: CDVDPlayer::OpenInputStream - error opening [/storage/emulated/0/Serien/Person Of Interest/StartAndroidActivity("com.netflix.ninja")]
21:43:10 T:2091599232 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit()
21:43:10 T:1116903680 ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 0, path [/storage/emulated/0/Serien/Person Of Interest/StartAndroidActivity("com.netflix.ninja")]
21:43:10 T:1116903680 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::CloseFile()
21:43:10 T:1116903680 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: waiting for threads to exit
21:43:10 T:1116903680 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: finished waiting
21:43:10 T:1116903680 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::CloseFile()
21:43:10 T:1116903680 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: waiting for threads to exit
21:43:10 T:1116903680 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: finished waiting

So I guess the log tells me Kodi doesn't understand how to open that stream. I guess that's where your external player comes in.

EDIT: I think all we need is a way for us to tell Kodi to start that android app. This is the file for the episode created by the NetfliXBMC addon:

Code:
plugin://plugin.video.netflix/?mode=play_video&url=70296223

So I think we would need something like

Code:
Androidapp://com.netflix.ninja

How can we get a developer to take a look at this?
It doesnt work like that. Read http://kodi.wiki/view/Internet_video_and_audio_streams

and maybe use it with http://kodi.wiki/view/External_player

I dunno if they will help, but from a strm file it doesnt look like you can say launch this app

Cheers!
Yeah, you need to make an external player rule to make it open another app, and then the STRM file will have a URL that the other app will hopefully understand. However, I haven't gotten this to work either.
If would be enough for now if I could get Kodi to start the app. Getting the apps to start the corresponding episode/movie right out of Kodi would only be the next step. Have you at least been able to get the app running as an external player, Ned?
Any updates to this?
Here is my hilariously hacky solution until I switch to Kodi 18 (which has Netflix and Amazon addons that work).

I made short dummy video files of a particular length and put them into appropriate folders with appropriate naming.  Then when they are played back, I check for the first part of the length (they are really short, so no real file will ever match) and if it matches, I launch the app.

Yes, this is really dumb.  It works though  - only launches the app of course but that is fine for me until Kodi 18 hits RC - I only use it for 'shows' so they are right there in continue watching.

service.py:

python:
import xbmc
class XBMCPlayer( xbmc.Player ):
    def __init__( self, *args ):
        pass

def onPlayBackStarted( self ):
        # Will be called when xbmc starts playing a file
        xbmc.log( "Testing duration for Netflix/Amazon dummy match: " + str(self.getTotalTime(self)) )
        if str(self.getTotalTime(self)).startswith("5.504"):
            self.seekTime(float(5)) # This seeking stuff plus delay makes sure it gets marked watched
            self.seekTime(float(0))
            self.seekTime(float(5))
            xbmc.sleep(1000)
            xbmc.executebuiltin('StartAndroidActivity("com.netflix.ninja")')
        elif str(self.getTotalTime(self)).startswith("4.424"):
            self.seekTime(float(5))
            self.seekTime(float(0))
            self.seekTime(float(5)) 
            xbmc.sleep(1000)
            xbmc.executebuiltin('StartAndroidActivity("com.amazon.amazonvideo.livingroom.nvidia")')

player = XBMCPlayer()

while not xbmc.abortRequested:
    xbmc.sleep(1000)
Has anyone been able to get this to work with "deep linking"?  I tried to add a playercorefactory.xml in Android to handle .strm files but this approach does not work.  It doesn't even try to launch Netflix.  Would a plugin have to be created for this purpose?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Create strm file that starts the corresponding streaming app0