New to this need some advice...
I am posting this here in hopes it is the right forum. Everyone keeps talking about these android boxes and how you will never need to pay for cable again. I am looking for some information on this. I did some internet research and that’s how I found out about kodi. I am thinking about downloading it to my computer to try it out. I need to know about the following though. Is it worth it to buy an android box with all this software on it if my computer has an HDMI port? Is it safer if I use an android box vs. my windows laptop? What is a repository and why do people say to get everything out of kodi I need to install this or these? I have also seen some people discussing using a VPN. Is this necessary because of legality issues and people are trying to protect themselves? I am not the most tech savvy person out there some I'm trying to read as much as I can regarding this, but I will be honest I find myself totally lost at points. Thanks for any advice you can give.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Free_content
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Its a learning curve to begin with but once you get it, you will love it.

In answer to some of your question and to get you going, Kodi can be run on various operating systems. You can install a Windows version, Android version or an Linux version + a few others. You should of course install Kodi
on your Windows laptop at least to try it out.

To get a better understanding, try to look at it like this: Once installed, imagine Kodi is your operating system just as Windows is. One of the first things you will want to do now is install various different repositories. These repositories will contain different add ons categorized as Video, Program, Music plus others. Choose as many different ones you want and enable them. There are many Youtube videos showing you how to do this in great detail. Once these add ons are installed, you will find that some simply do not work, do not work all the time or other issues. You can Google various topics on which add ons are reliable, kept up to date and which are not.

I used to have an Android box which came pre bundled but finally got myself a mini PC (Zotac) which sits right under my TV. WiFi is an option many people use but for stability, I hard wire straight to my router so I get no buffering (very rarely) even when watching 1080dp movies through (the add ons) It has 4GB ram with an SSD drive and does everything I need it to do.

VPN might be worth while depending where you are geographically and what your countries laws, restrictions are. If you do need to use VPN, I personally found Kodi on Android to be the easiest to set up as there is VPN software you can install through Google play store. TorGuard comes to mind......

Currently, I have Kodi installed on OpenElec (Linux based OS) and setting up VPN is definitely more involved. OpenElec is simply yet another way to install and run Kodi.

So, as you can see, there are various ways you can do this.Hope this has helped a little at least..

Here's some advice:
If you intend to run Kodi for free content that you would otherwise pay for, think of something else.
For your own private collection and genuinely free content, Kodi is what you want.

Just my 2 cts.
The old saying 'nothing is free', and that is very true with respect to free television.

Quote:Everyone keeps talking about these android boxes
Yup and they'll be talking about that android box in the closest for years to come. If you have a capable PC or laptop, use it.

Quote:VPN. Is this necessary because of legality issues and people are trying to protect themselves
Most likely. It's a bit premature to say that television is now being delivered by the internet, but for some Kodi fills their entertainment needs.
Also read http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=119117 and http://kodi.wiki/view/Banned_Add-ons

Piracy addons are banned from dicussion, and "free" movies ustually means piracy.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New to this need some advice...0