• 105(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2017-04-26, 16:31)JamesGrey Wrote:
(2017-04-23, 19:33)JamesGrey Wrote: I have a Minix NEO X8-H Plus which I purchased last year. I was new too this Kodi idea, and I researched and seemed like Minix was the best unit on the market.

I am not happy because new Kodi v17.1 is available and apparently the Minix box can't run this software.
I can't even find anyone on the user forum or from the company itself to explain a proper way to boot into a USB stick. Very frustrating to say the least.

Could you provide the link to the custom Rom? Can't seem to find the one for the plus.

Cheers

Install Instructions for LibreELEC on a USB with a MINIX X8-H Plus

Looks like you may need a microSDHC card for the initial install / setup.
All LE support questions belong in that MINIX thread.

(2017-04-26, 13:43)wrxtasy Wrote: BUT HDR output from Kodi may not actually be sending the required HDR Metadata for proper HDR10 video playback when using LibreELEC anyway.
@wesk05 would be the man to confirm this.
It certainly sends the ST 2084 flag which triggers the HDR mode on the TV. Since these builds do not yet support Deep Color, the color space is BT.709 and is limited to 8-bit color depth. In other words, HDR playback doesn't work correctly Wink
Thx. mate for the confirmation.

Yes there is that Deep Color Settings option available when using HDR capable Android Hardware. I believe Deep Color is not Automatically detected tho, which is another issue.

I did some AML LibreELEC Deep Color google searching, and this turn up too [BUG] S905X - BT.2020 video issue

Then you have this HDR Intel Mess

(2017-04-27, 06:27)wrxtasy Wrote: I did some AML LibreELEC Deep Color google searching, and this turn up too [BUG] S905X - BT.2020 video issue
It used to set the color space correctly to BT.2020 for 4K60. It doesn't seem to do that anymore. I checked 8.0.1.h kszaq build on Mini M8SII. Not sure which build broke it. (It was always limited to 8-bit color).
Can you actually use LibreElec on the Vero 4K?
@pameijer - Looking at the Libreelec website, Vero is not supported.
https://libreelec.tv/downloads/
(2017-04-27, 17:56)pameijer Wrote: Can you actually use LibreElec on the Vero 4K?
I actually suspect you can - flash a S905X Krypton image by @kszaq to a SD card, find the correct dtb.img (device tree) and save to the SD card as well, Hold down the Reset button while you power up the device. Same method as all those other AMLogic S905(x) LibreELEC Boxes.

I just ordered a Odroid C2 Smile
About the Odroid C2, will I feel any big performance difference between Micro-SD and eMMC? I have a few SD-cards at home, didn't order any eMMC.
(2017-04-27, 17:56)pameijer Wrote: Can you actually use LibreElec on the Vero 4K?

Are there negative reason's to using OSMC ?
No none - OSMC on the Vero 4K shares a lot of the common AMLogic S905 v3.14 Linux Kernel and Kodi Krypton patches with AMLogic S905 LibreELEC Kodi Krypton. The two of them are Linux based.
OSMC is actually a bit more of an Open platform than LibreELEC.

Both OSMC and LibreELEC are classified as Just Enough Operating System(s) designed to run an optimised Kodi Krypton at speed on a stable, relatively bug free platform.

You would be happy with either OS. Both receive great support. Smile

After weigh'n a lot of options form $30.00 Android 6.0 boxes with S905/S905x chips, to $600.00 Intel i5 7th gen Nuc's, reading all the "stay away" post about Android, I finally decided and pulled the trigger today on the box that keeps popping to the top as a reliable work horse the Minix Neo U1 with A2 Lite remote, shipped from a US re-seller with US power Supply.and free shipping.
I promptly followed up with an order for a 16g Samsung Evo... to be used for other OS's.

There are post on a couple OS sites with instuctions to get the U1 running on OS's that support Krypton, although few post with actual indorsements saying it's supported.

One of the negatives was on the Minix site saying it would not be getting an Android 6.0 upgrade, but I'll happily jump to another OS if needed.

Waiting game now according to the site estimated delivery by 5/4.

Thanks to all who have replied to my many questions, especially wrxtasy and your many post....I tend to over analyze stuff like this.
I've been reading through this thread (and many others) for awhile. Am I correct in saying there exists no combination of Kodi/hardware that supports:
- 10bit HEVC (4K)
- HDR10 metadata
- Auto-resolution switching (so the TV upscales 1080p content)

I currently have an NVIDIA Shield, an ODROID C2, and a Khadas VIM (had a Mi box but returned it after finding out it doesn't support casting from HBO GO).
Is my best course of action to have a dedicated 1080p Kodi device and keep the Shield set to 4K? I'd have to split up my library, but that's far less annoying than having to manually resolution switch the Shield for 4K vs non-4K content.
(2017-05-02, 22:14)narenh Wrote: I've been reading through this thread (and many others) for awhile. Am I correct in saying there exists no combination of Kodi/hardware that supports:
- 10bit HEVC (4K)
- HDR10 metadata
- Auto-resolution switching (so the TV upscales 1080p content)

I currently have an NVIDIA Shield, an ODROID C2, and a Khadas VIM (had a Mi box but returned it after finding out it doesn't support casting from HBO GO).
Is my best course of action to have a dedicated 1080p Kodi device and keep the Shield set to 4K? I'd have to split up my library, but that's far less annoying than having to manually resolution switch the Shield for 4K vs non-4K content.

I would like to know this as well. I am about to just buy a Nvidia Shield and live with the poor upscaling. How livable would you say it is currently? I was also looking at the Vero 4k...
Hi,

look what I found Smile, DVB-C/T/T2 dongle that officially support NVidia Shield, Xiaomi Mi TV Box and Amazon Fire TV

https://dvblogic.com/en/tvbutler/tvbutle...c-android/

too bad it's very expensive (for a dongle).
  • 105(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28