• 28(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Funnily, the discussion between noggin and wrxtasy on the merits of C2 vs RPi3 is quite informative as to which horse better suits your course...
(2016-04-27, 12:36)JustAnotherUser Wrote: Funnily, the discussion between noggin and wrxtasy on the merits of C2 vs RPi3 is quite informative as to which horse better suits your course...

Yep - and wrxtasy and I have a lot of time for each other (well I certainly respect his efforts working to develop the AMLogic platforms).

We have different requirements and different sources - so probably don't agree on our 'best' box - but I hope we both provide useful advice to others, who may have similar requirements to one or other of us.
Hi again.

I opted to get a Raspberry Pi in the end, despite it being over budget. I've just realsied though, the device has no on/off switch. I imagine you can power down from within Kodi, but how do you switch it back on? Surely it can't be a matter of plugging the micro USB in and out? I intend to have a 1TB HDD permanently attached to this so I want this powered on and off correctly, I don't want to risk damaging it.

I can't believe this is even an issue!

I appreciate any help.
(2016-04-28, 12:37)Sharpey Wrote: Hi again.

I opted to get a Raspberry Pi in the end, despite it being over budget. I've just realsied though, the device has no on/off switch. I imagine you can power down from within Kodi, but how do you switch it back on? Surely it can't be a matter of plugging the micro USB in and out? I intend to have a 1TB HDD permanently attached to this so I want this powered on and off correctly, I don't want to risk damaging it.

I can't believe this is even an issue!

I appreciate any help.

Yep - you can power down from within Kodi, but as you say you have to power cycle to start up again. That's why most people just leave it powered 24/7. There are in-line power cables you can get which allow you to power cycle without physically removing the Micro USB port if you do shut down the Pi but I've never really found it an issue and leave mine on most of the time. The current draw is so low it's close to negligible.

This isn't just a Pi thing - it's common across almost all the SBC boards like the ODroids etc.

If you are worried about the HDD then I'd 'safely eject' that and power that down separately. (It's a context menu option in Kodi) However most powered HDDs I have don't have power switches either. (Or are you using a 2.5" bus powered drive?)
I am using a USB powered 2.5" drive, it doesn't have a power switch. I don't think my sister and her family will want to leave the HDD on constantly.
If its a modern type HDD, like a Green one. Chances are it will Spin down and Hibernate itself when not in use anyway.

I have a cheap 3.5" vanilla Western Digital HDD, attached to a C1 / OpenELEC / TvHeadend server and it does just that when not in use. Uses very little power.

It's an Intenso one, only bought in the last couple of years. I think it does spin down on its own.

Turning the system off is easy enough from within Kodi, and it's played the files I've tested so far well. Turning it on is the only real issue at the moment as plugging the cable in and out is a little cumbersome. I know you can leave it on but I know what my sister/brother in law are like, it will seem alien to them and they will moan about i.

Is there an easy to install on/off switch anyone can recommend?
(2016-04-28, 14:09)Sharpey Wrote: It's an Intenso one, only bought in the last couple of years. I think it does spin down on its own.

Turning the system off is easy enough from within Kodi, and it's played the files I've tested so far well. Turning it on is the only real issue at the moment as plugging the cable in and out is a little cumbersome. I know you can leave it on but I know what my sister/brother in law are like, it will seem alien to them and they will moan about i.

Here is an on/off switch with a remote control for $10 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Woods-32555-Weathe...1_2&sr=8-2
Thanks for the suggestion mate, not really what I'm looking for though.

I've seen something called the RemotePi board, but that with the case it needs is almost as much as a Pi itself.

Is there a way to make the Pi go to sleep and wake up via an app? Would Kore do that?
(2016-04-28, 19:37)Sharpey Wrote: Thanks for the suggestion mate, not really what I'm looking for though.

I've seen something called the RemotePi board, but that with the case it needs is almost as much as a Pi itself.

Is there a way to make the Pi go to sleep and wake up via an app? Would Kore do that?

The Pi doesn't have PC-style sleep/hibernate options AIUI - it's on or off. It's like any other consumer piece of kit these days in reality - usually the only difference between on and standby is an LED...
Hi I am new to the forum so please be gentle. At the moment I have Kodi on a firestick in my bedroom which I run off the wifi downstairs. I have purchased the following for £45.00 but have been told by people this is a rubbish box etc etc. My question is what do the experts think. I only want to run kodi on it and watch movies etc. I don't want to play games or anything else. Admin please delete if I posted in the wrong section or violated any rules I'm a 60 year old women who doesn't know much about kodi technical side of things.

Easytone Q-Box

Product Description

Colour Name:Q-Box 2GB/16GB

Hardware Specifications:
- CPU: Amlogic S905 quad-core cortex-A53 frequency £º£².£°G
- GPU: Mali-450 5-Core GPU
- FLASH: 16GB EMMC
- SDRAM: 2GB DDR3

Main Features:
- CaseTonguelastic material (Private model )
- KODI: 16.0
- WIFI: 2.4GHz/5GHz Dual Band Wi-Fi
- Bluetooth 4.0: Built-in
- 3D: Hardward 3D graphics acceleration
- Support Decoder format: HD MPEG1/2/4,H.264, HD AVC/VC-1,RM/RMVB,Xvid/DivX3/4/5/6 ,RealVideo8/9/10
- Support Media format: Avi/Rm/Rmvb/Ts/Vob/Mkv/Mov/ISO/wmv/asf/flv/dat/mpg/mpeg
- Support Music format: MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV/OGG/AC3/DDP/TrueHD/DTS/DTS/HD/FLAC/APE
- Support Photo format: HD JPEG/BMP/GIF/PNG/TIFF
- USB host: 2 High speed USB 2.0,support U DISK and USB HDD
- Card reader: SD/SDHC/MMC cards
- HDD file system: FAT16/FAT32/NTFS
- Support Subtitle: SRT/SMI/SUB/SSA/IDX+USB
- High Difinition video output: SD/HD max.1920x1080 pixel
- OSD type of languages: English/French/German/Spanish/Italian/ etc multilateral languages
- Ethernet:Gigabit 10/100M/1000M, standard RJ-45
- Wireless: Built in WiFi
- Mouse/Keyboard:Support mouse and keyboard via USB;Support 2.4GHz wireless mouse and keyboard via 2.4GHz USB dongle
- HDMI: HDMI 2.0 up to 4k2k Output
- 4K2k hd decoding: 4k2k H.265 Hardware Video Decode and 4k2k Output
- 1080P: Support
- AV: Support
- Dolby: Support
- 3G: Support
- SPDIF/IEC958: Coaxial

Package Includes:
1 x Q-Box Android tv box
1 x IR Remote control
1 x HDMI cable
1 x US Power adapter
1 x User manual
(2016-04-28, 23:38)noggin Wrote:
(2016-04-28, 19:37)Sharpey Wrote: Thanks for the suggestion mate, not really what I'm looking for though.

The Pi doesn't have PC-style sleep/hibernate options AIUI - it's on or off. It's like any other consumer piece of kit these days in reality - usually the only difference between on and standby is an LED...

OK, thanks for all your help.

I might consider replacing my net top PC with one of these, as it seems to work well. One thing I don't get is the boot time, it is very fast compared to my net top. From the Openelec splash to Kodi it takes about five seconds, where as my PC boots like a regular PC and takes about 15-20 seconds to get in to Kodi.
(2016-04-28, 14:31)jmalcolm001 Wrote:
(2016-04-28, 14:09)Sharpey Wrote: It's an Intenso one, only bought in the last couple of years. I think it does spin down on its own.

Here is an on/off switch with a remote control for $10 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Woods-32555-Weathe...1_2&sr=8-2

Thanks for that link, never knew they existed and especially for that modest price.
Hi all, fist time poster but used the forum for a few years to help me out in the past.

I seem to be going around in circles when choosing an upgrade to my trusty 6year old Acer Revo 3700 running Kodi, so I am throwing it out there for the guru's to help.

First of all I'll briefly list what I think I need based on my current equipment setup - I have a UHD 4k TV and an Onkyo 7.1 Atmos enabled amp (with the atmos speakers). I don't stream too much due to an average 10meg ADSL connection and with 3 kids with xbox's, ipods etc it gets used up pretty quick.
I mostly watch content from my Synology NAS box, which comprises of a mixture of 1080p & 720p 5.1 recordings, 3d, DTS and DTS-MA movies . I have noticed of late that a few HEVC H265 recording downloading onto my NAS which my old Revo just can't cope with.

Just when I think I have picked the right box, I have noticed that there is always something that it can't do, wether it is limited to HDMI1.4, not 7.1 passthrough, no Atmos, non DTS-MA or HEVC 24p 10bit playback...frankly it's doing my nut in!

I don't mind paying that little bit more to get what I (think I) want.
OpenElec is fine as is Windows 7/10 or Android

I was looking at the AMLogic S905, Asus Chromebox Celeron / intel, but like I said it's doing my nut in and I don't know what to go for, I just want something fast, with smooth playback, quality picture and no hassle running most things that I can throw at it.

Thanks in advance.
  • 28(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28