v16 Playing 4k media file in Kodi
Just wondering how I would go about playing a 4k media file in Kodi.

I have a few 4k sample downloads they use at tv sales stores and wanted to find out if they will play smoothly on kodi.

I have an intel nuc5i5ryh with 8gm ram plugged up to a Sony 65" x8500c tv.
I'm assuming very new and never used Kodi before.
from the main menu press "s"
select "file manager"
browse to your video and play it
I'm also new so I hope none of this is skin dependant (or otherwise incorrect). if you wanted to continue to play more than a one off test the source could be added to make things nicer to get to but for a one off test to see if its smooth that's what I'd suggest.
(2015-12-21, 05:52)mrkaras Wrote: I'm assuming very new and never used Kodi before.
from the main menu press "s"
select "file manager"
browse to your video and play it
I'm also new so I hope none of this is skin dependant (or otherwise incorrect). if you wanted to continue to play more than a one off test the source could be added to make things nicer to get to but for a one off test to see if its smooth that's what I'd suggest.

Yep did all that but i found the .mkv file was stuttering during playback.

Mind you I'm running Kodi through windows 8.1 so not sure if this has anything to do with it.
What 4K video samples? H265 or H264 encoded?
See the Windows subforum for support but in general just make sure you have the very latest graphics drivers as well and DirectX installed.

Assumption however is that you have installed the very latest Kodi 16.0 (Jarvis) Beta or newer http://kodi.wiki/view/Development_builds and not an 15.x version or older.
Quote:Yep did all that but i found the .mkv file was stuttering during playback.
The version etc are important (Kodi is a work in progress, and there is always continuous development in that area) Try to play it with just software rendering, at one point your system might be challenged to play out a 4K file directly, but outputting as 1080p and allowing your Panel to upgrade using it's own internal algorithms will probably have the best result.. In fact at this point HDMI 2.0 is not supported by most graphic cards (there is exceptions with the latest gaming cards), and that's the kind of bandwidth needed for 4K. So with most 4K content, you are asking Kodi to down scale to transmit and then asking the TV panel to upscale to 4K, so you lose PQ on the downscale and then again when the TV upscales to 4K. ATM TV's will have the best dedicated algorithms for scaling, and this effort is going to undergo a lot of changes as manufactures settle into agreed standards.
Actually, for 4K @ 24p you can get away with HDMI 1.4a (what the Intel HD6000 has), and since most content (i`m talking about movies and TV Shows here, on optical media or digital downloads) is 24p (Blu Rays, rips from Netflix, iTunes etc.) that`s kinda what you need. Live TV is another story, there you need 60Hz (or 50, depending on your region) so HDMI 2.0 or bust. The Intel HD 6000 has HVEC decoding support at 4K, so theoretically it should work with Jarvis.
Thanks guys.

I'll check the files and see how they run.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playing 4k media file in Kodi0