Android Do I need Passthrough?
I just got a Shield and downloaded Kodi 15.2 from the Play Store. So far the Videos seem to play good but I'm not sure about the Audio.

I know that Passthrough on Android does not work, so I disabled it but set my Speaker Configuration to 5.1. I have the Shield connected to a Yamaha RX-V467 Receiver. It is configured like always (I used the HDMI cable from my old HTPC which had all Passthrough Options enabled). However when I play a Movie it seems that every speaker plays the same tune. So I downloaded the DTS-HD 5.1 Speaker Test Video and I noticed that the Subwoofer is not working at all apparently and also that every time a sound should be played on Left Front or Left Rear, the other Left speaker also plays the same sound, same for right. Center Box plays on all front speakers.

So do I need Passthrough? I read something about LPCM but I didn't find that in the options.
Look at the top sticky in the Android section.
That is about the Passthrough Testing for Jarvis. I have 15.2 installed from Playstore. I don't know how to get any other version since I have never used Android before. I probably could google side-load but I was looking into not using Pass-Through (which was recommended by Kodi devs, including fritsch) and still get surround sound. So how is this possible?
(2015-12-22, 19:25)falc410 Wrote: That is about the Passthrough Testing for Jarvis. I have 15.2 installed from Playstore. I don't know how to get any other version since I have never used Android before. I probably could google side-load but I was looking into not using Pass-Through (which was recommended by Kodi devs, including fritsch) and still get surround sound. So how is this possible?

By sideloading the passthrough APK. You may not want to use it (and that's fine) but you still need the latest build and you'll just get PCM output.
Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub
(2015-12-22, 19:25)falc410 Wrote: That is about the Passthrough Testing for Jarvis. I have 15.2 installed from Playstore. I don't know how to get any other version since I have never used Android before. I probably could google side-load but I was looking into not using Pass-Through (which was recommended by Kodi devs, including fritsch) and still get surround sound. So how is this possible?

Side loading:

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kod...Android_TV
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Why is everyone else then using LPCM instead of Pass-Through? I don't understand.

edit: managed to side-load kodi 16 beta. testing it now.
(2015-12-22, 20:42)falc410 Wrote: Why is everyone else then using LPCM instead of Pass-Through? I don't understand.

Im not everyone....i use passthrough to my Denon receiver and DTS and DD work great. Only thing that currently isnt working fully is the HD Audio (yes its in the test v16 builds, im just sticking with stable)

Cheers!
Well I got Pass-Through working, but to me it still seems like Pass-Through only complicate things according to frisch post here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2107461

That's why I was hoping to make use of PCM as well. My Receiver does show PCM if I disable pass-through, however I have the feeling that the channels are not correct - if I play any of these sample files from Kodi Website, the output is completely wrong. However even with Pass-through it wasn't optimal (maybe because it's still in Beta, I'm switching between my Intel Openelec Box and the Shield now to see or rather hear the difference).
(2015-12-22, 23:27)falc410 Wrote: Well I got Pass-Through working, but to me it still seems like Pass-Through only complicate things according to frisch post here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2107461

That's why I was hoping to make use of PCM as well. My Receiver does show PCM if I disable pass-through, however I have the feeling that the channels are not correct - if I play any of these sample files from Kodi Website, the output is completely wrong. However even with Pass-through it wasn't optimal (maybe because it's still in Beta, I'm switching between my Intel Openelec Box and the Shield now to see or rather hear the difference).

IM confused...we talking Nvida Shield/Android or linux? Cuz that link you posted is about Linux not Android
(2015-12-22, 20:42)falc410 Wrote: Why is everyone else then using LPCM instead of Pass-Through? I don't understand.

Everyone is not using LPCM, at least not by choice. Until the "test build" LPCM was the only choice on Android if you wanted 7.1 HD audio. The only choice was to allow Kodi do the decoding and output it as LPCM.

As well, the thread you pointed to is referring to something different, "Sync playback to display", which is not a Kodi setting available for Android.

If LPCM is what you want though, it's easy enough. Go to Settings>System>Audio output, select the number of channels you want, deselect pass-through and enable "Support 8 channel DTS-HD audio decoding".
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Ok thanks for the clarification. I will test this setting later tonight.
I know this post referred to the Linux build, however I was under the assumption that something like this is important for all platforms. Is android not able to sync playback to display? Will content with 23.793 fps then stutter with 24hz on android?
(2015-12-23, 13:11)falc410 Wrote: Is android not able to sync playback to display? Will content with 23.793 fps then stutter with 24hz on android?

No, there is the Adjust display refresh rate setting, so 23.976 fps will be displayed at 23.976

I suggest you stop reading the linux thread as reference for this and start reading one of the two big Shield threads, you seem to be confusing yourself.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Do I need Passthrough?0