OSMC Stuttering
I just bought an Rasp Pi 2 and assembled it lastnight and got it running, im using a class 10 supported SD card, but when i try to watch some of the HD videos on kodi it will buffer at start and once it plays it will occasionally stutter with no volume for a few seconds then go back to normal, if i play the same video at medium or low definition it works perfectly normal and allows me to view the video fully without any buffer or stuttering issues..

It does this both on wifi and wired, so its not a connection issues as far as i can tell and playing the same HD video on my PC with kodi plays normal... so im thinking it may be a buffering issue as it seems to only buffer a small portion and even if you pause it only goes so far on buffering and stops.

Internet is Fios 100MB
Your post suggests you are watching internet streamed content (rather than your own content stored locally), and unless this is from a legitimate source (like a broadcaster TV catch-up service), and not via a banned add-on, you won't get much advice here.
Hello everybody,

hmmm, I have the same problem. I definitely identified the fluctuating streaming bitrate as the reason for that using the 'nload' tool.

Reasons for these fluctuations might be
- the inadvertent transfer to a new internet provider (Versatel was bought by 1&1),
- a high load of the TV channel servers (ARD/ZDF Mediathek) in the evening or
- a new buffering strategy of the kodi player.
I use Kodi on the Raspberry Pi (Pi2 for several months) for several years now and have never experienced this problem before.

AS OF TODAY THIS IS A REAL PAIN IN THE BUTT!!

However, a larger read-ahead would definitely solve the problem. I have already played around with <cachemembuffersize> and <readbufferfactor> in advancedsettings.xml but this hasn't solved the problem. In my understanding these parameters don't change the amount of readahead-data anyway.

How can I increase the amount of readahead-data from 20 seconds which seems to be the default at the moment, to, let's say, 60 seconds or even 120 seconds ?

Cheers

Pidder

P.S: I made an experiment, yesterday evening: I watched a movie from the ZDF mediathek with kodi and AT THE SAME TIME with the firefox web browser. Kodi: stuttering, Firefox: no stuttering. This excludes reasons1 and 2 from above. Thus only the kodi player stays...right?
(2015-12-30, 12:50)pidder Wrote: P.S: I made an experiment, yesterday evening: I watched a movie from the ZDF mediathek with kodi and AT THE SAME TIME with the firefox web browser. Kodi: stuttering, Firefox: no stuttering. This excludes reasons1 and 2 from above. Thus only the kodi player stays...right?

Firefox may well use different streams, and may support adaptive bitrate to avoid buffering, so the test is not conclusive.
Can you run kodi on the PC at the same time as on the Pi?
Hey popcornmix,

thanks for your response.
I believe my little experiment releases the DSL provider just because if there is a second stream running at the same time there must be enough headroom in the bandwidth that the first streaming client could use.

However, do you happen to know how I can increase the amount of read-ahead data in kodi?

Cheers

Peter
Try increasing readbufferfactor and cachemembuffersize
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache
Hi popcornmix,

I already tried that (see my post above). Readbufferfactor and cachemembuffersize do not change the buffering strategy but increase, at least to my understanding, the limit to the max. buffer filling rate and the buffer size itself. Varying them does not change the number of seconds that are read ahead.

Popcornmix: You seem to be a member of the kodi team. Do you happen to know somebody who can give me a competent answer to the following question:

How can I increase the amount of readahead-data from 20 seconds which seems to be the default at the moment, to, let's say, 60 seconds or even 120 seconds ?

I'd really appreciate a competent answer. I am here in this forum because I need help on this.

I wish you and the rest of the team all the best for the new year!!
Cheers

Pidder

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OSMC Stuttering0