NZB script
SABnzb is a web-interface based binary newsgrabber written in python, with nzb file support. Would it be possible to port the web interface to a xbmc interface using the guibuilder? Making it a stand alone script. I know right now there is someone developing a python script as a interface to the web server, but it would be very nice to have it as a stand alone script on the xbox so a computer would not have to be turned on.

The source code is located here:
http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/sourc...2.5.tar.gz
Hi!

I believe that somebody has already implimented much of this! Smile

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=22469

I have not tried it myself yet but it's on the very short term to-do list!!

Patrick.
I believe the first poster was talking about porting the orginal software to the xbox version of python so that a computer wouldn't need to be used as a back end.
gzusrawx is correct. I am wondering how possible it would be to port the original software to xbox. But instead of using a web interface, use guibuilder or the new windowXML to implement the interface straight from the xbox. If any skilled python programmer could comment on this i would appreciate it. I am thinking about doing this myself but i don't want to waist my time if i get it all complete just to find out that the xbox does not have enough memory to use nntp. Thank!
Sorry - i replied a bit hastily on the previous message!

there is a very similar thread from the last few days here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=11874

I'd love to help in any way i can! I know very little about python and xbox development. i have quite a bit of c++ development experience however and would love for xbmc to be able to support nzb (with all implications) directly!

I've spent much of the last week learning the xbmc source structure, how xbmc handles files (CFile, CFileRar, etc...), and looking into yenc and nntp, etc to determine for myself the feasibility of this given the processing power of the xbox and my own ability to learn and impliment this stuff! I hope to have something *rough* to test this out in the next 2 weeks. i still need to get a debugger working though.

The end result would be a sweeeeeeeeet app tho! Smile

(sorry again for hastiness of first reply with fully having read the message!)
No problem! I am glad to see feedback from somebody on this. Is it your intention to get XBMC to handle nzb files natively and have your code put in the trunk or through python scripts?
I think it would have to be some sort of addition to trunk to work properly.

nntp communication needs to happen (not supported by curl afaik), and data needs to be un-yenc'd on the fly without having to save the downloaded content (rar>avi files) on disk in order to make it worthwhile over SABnzb. If a python script can do this, i don't know enough about python to tackle it!

keeping the functionality to open an nzb file separate from any gui (except some settings pages for nntp server, etc) would allow separate development of script(s) to browse nzb database sites, and open the nzb files on them (& stream the resultant content).

If i get it going however, i'd definitely like to submit it to be added to trunk... i imagine that quite a few people might like it! Smile I think it can be done as a CFileRar type extension but for NZB instead and making nntp connections to grap the data. (all in principal of course!) I have a lot to learn before/if this will work tho! fingers crossed! Smile
optip...

sabnzbd is made up from many other modules not written by the author of sabnzbd.. he uses a seperate y-enc module. you may be able to take portions of the modules used in sabnzbd to get whatever functionality you need..
Server: FreeNas 9 NAS: 6*3TB - Kodi Sql Database
Kodi Systems: Nvidia Shield Pro, G-Box Q (OpenElec), RikoMagic MK802 IV[
Skin: reFocus
python has a nntp library http://docs.python.org/lib/module-nntplib.html but im not sure how efficient it would be. For sure it would be way more efficient being able to compile it into xbmc with c. I definately agree if xbmc could have native support for nntp that would be awsome. I would definately be more than willing to help you out with the python side to brows popular nzb and download. I would love to have a developer's opinion on this. Also please keep us posted on your work with this as well.
chunk_1970 Wrote:optip...

sabnzbd is made up from many other modules not written by the author of sabnzbd.. he uses a seperate y-enc module. you may be able to take portions of the modules used in sabnzbd to get whatever functionality you need..

Thanks chunk!... will do Smile

i'll keep this board up to date with any progress i make in proving the concept! will be a week or two tho before i can dedicate a decent amount of time tho.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NZB script0