Any addon that will display a frequently updated image from a web address?
I posted the following in the Titan skin forum, and although I specifically asked about weather radar maps, I can think of other types of dynamic images a user might wish to display, for example a current camera image (webcam or home security camera or whatever). So this is not specific to the weather radar images, although that was the use I had in mind. This is what I wrote there:

Quote:I would like to be able to display an animated gif image in Titan that is frequently refreshed. To give you an example:

http://sirocco.accuweather.com/nx_mosaic...sirFL_.gif

Please don't bother to mention the maps in OpenWeatherMap addon, first of all they suck (not enough detail or contrast, in fact they are about the most useless weather maps I have ever seen) and second of all if I let it download maps then often I cannot quit Kodi properly.

I can think of a few ways that such an image could be displayed:

1) In a submenu under Weather - in the dropdown there would be an option for Local Weather Map and if you selected it, it would immediately grab the image from the server and display it. The advantage would be that it would only grab the image when you actually want to see it.

2) Put it in the weather tile in the main window display. But that would require resizing, and periodic refreshing while Kodi is running.

3) Put it on the main screen next to the temperature, and on other screens where the temperature is displayed in that manner. Also would require resizing, and periodic refreshing while Kodi is running.

4) If none of the above are possible then as a separate main menu item, or failing that as a picture in the pictures section, although I have no idea how you could use dynamic content from a web address as a picture.

I THINK these maps are normally refreshed about every 15 minutes but I don't know that. At this point I'm not asking for anything new, I would just like to know if any of these are possible now (I'm assuming my #2 and #3 are not), and if so how you would set it up. Thank you.

The reply I received included this:

Quote:By default it won't be possible because of the simple fact that Kodi will cache all images. So, you will be able to load that picture into Kodi but then it will just show the same image all the time untill the cache is cleared.

I *think* but others can correct me if I'm wrong that the only solution would be to create a small addon that will pull the latest map from the internet and show it.

You might want to ask this question on the general Kodi forums because there might already be someone who created this.

So I am asking, is there any Kodi addon that will do something like this already?
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/docs/python-docs/...e-setImage
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Code:
setImage(filename, useCache=False)

Think the useCache parameter was added in Gotham
(2015-12-28, 22:43)Martijn Wrote: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/docs/python-docs/...e-setImage

Huh? That's not a Kodi addon, is it? Huh

I honestly don't have the foggiest idea what I am looking at in that link.

EDIT: Okay, I see you were posting for marcelveldt's benefit. Never mind!
(2015-12-28, 22:47)spoyser Wrote:
Code:
setImage(filename, useCache=False)

Think the useCache parameter was added in Gotham

Okay I think I see what is happening - you guys are responding to the reply I received in the other thread and not my question, which is whether there are any existing addons that will do this.. Thanks for the information, but I personally don't understand it a single bit. But maybe it will be helpful to anyone trying to develop something like this.
it's indeed quite annoying kodi is caching images this way.

weather addons pass the image url to the skins as a window property,
so using setImage(filename, useCache=False) doesn't apply here.

the only alternative is to first download the image and then pass the local path of the image to the skin.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any addon that will display a frequently updated image from a web address?0