Req help need on translating new strings
Ok, had a quick look at the changes: much better! Some things I would have done differently and sometimes the corrections veer towards southern Dutch (Belgian), but these are all stylistic and preferential 'issues'. So not much left for me to do here.

Regards,
Henk
Imo it should be official Dutch only and not Belgian. So if you feel that needs correction please do so.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Hi Martijn,
Now there's a statement to start a heated debate :-)

Speaking as a linguist: there is no such thing as official Dutch. There only is an official Dutch spelling agreed between all countries where variants of Dutch are spoken. There are two major variants of Dutch: southern Dutch as spoken in Belgium and northern Dutch as spoken in the Netherlands. Both vary to some degree in usage, syntax and vocabulary.

In my quick review I found a few instances that tended towards southern Dutch usage, without being too obvious, such as 'Weet je zeker dat je het systeem wil uitschakelen' vs. 'Weet je zeker dat je het systeem wilt uitschakelen'. These really are only minor things that some non-linguistically inclined northern speakers may not even notice.

Regards,
Henk
(2017-01-12, 00:25)henkhend Wrote: Hi Martijn,
Now there's a statement to start a heated debate :-)

Speaking as a linguist: there is no such thing as official Dutch. There only is an official Dutch spelling agreed between all countries where variants of Dutch are spoken. There are two major variants of Dutch: southern Dutch as spoken in Belgium and northern Dutch as spoken in the Netherlands. Both vary to some degree in usage, syntax and vocabulary.

In my quick review I found a few instances that tended towards southern Dutch usage, without being too obvious, such as 'Weet je zeker dat je het systeem wil uitschakelen' vs. 'Weet je zeker dat je het systeem wilt uitschakelen'. These really are only minor things that some non-linguistically inclined northern speakers may not even notice.

Regards,
Henk

I would notice :-)

Not making this thread a language discussion, but is there not just one official language and the rest are dialects?
See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language...etherlands.

The grammar should be of the official language and not of the dialect. The first example you wrote is wrong. It should be 'Weet je zeker dat je het systeem wilt uitschakelen'
Proud owner of comics42.shop 
Hi,
One last reply because this thread should indeed not turn into a linguistic discussion.

Official language really is more of a political term than a linguistic one. Southern Dutch is the 'official' language in Belgium, much like American English is the 'official' language in the US. Would you refer to US English as a dialect of the Queen's English?

Henk
(2017-01-12, 09:51)henkhend Wrote: Hi,
One last reply because this thread should indeed not turn into a linguistic discussion.

Official language really is more of a political term than a linguistic one. Southern Dutch is the 'official' language in Belgium, much like American English is the 'official' language in the US. Would you refer to US English as a dialect of the Queen's English?

Henk

Correct. The Americans do not have an own official language. They use English Big Grin
Just like Martijn said, use the grammar correct sentence, not the spoken language. There are simply too many of them.

You can really talk hours about this subject Big Grin I once had a discussion with an American about using tv show or series in the app Laugh
I needed to use tv show.....but I said on Netflix I often see "An all new series" being used.....so which is it?
Just google on the subject....series is the collection of all the episodes I found. A show is an individual episode, but can also be used like Friends is a show.
Anyway...I am still lost Huh
Proud owner of comics42.shop 
I've spend a few hours translating the Kodi remote to Swedish.

Here is the result
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1TIWM2...sp=sharing
@yeagersthlm, grabbed! thank you, will be included within the next release!

EDIT: done -> https://github.com/xbmc/Official-Kodi-Re...52eb2f67fe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
help need on translating new strings0