ATV1 using component - Need Crystal HD Card?
Hi all. I am new to apple tv. I await a used ATV 1 so I can load kodi.

Some background: I need a media box for my old Pioneer 64" RPTV, which is still running strong with amazing picture. Unfortunately though, it only has max resolution of 1080i and no HDMI..component only. Apple tv 1 seems like it is my only option given it has component out.

I read several recommendations to upgrade by adding the Crystal HD card. Is this necessary if I am only using component (analog) and only 1080i? Or is it the movie that determines the need for the card?

I don't mind doing so if it means videos will play and with greater clarity, but I wasn't sure if this recommendation is based on the assumption that HDMI only will be used, and whether it applies to component.

Any advice for a noob would be appreciated.

Thanks.
It depends on the resolution of the files that will be played back. So if you are playing back files smaller than 720 then it won't matter if they are on a 720 or 1080 screen. If you are doing to play 720 or 1080 content then getting the BCHD is a good idea. Last I saw, they were dirt cheap on ebay, and it's very easy to install.

Just a heads up, but ATV1 isn't iOS. It's actually more like a normal PC, and even uses an Intel processor. Same name, but very different machine. There are special builds of OSMC and OpenELEC that will run Kodi v15 on the ATV1, and they're both linux-based.
Also worth remembering that instilling the Crystal HD card will mean removing the WiFi card in the ATV1, so you will be limited to cabled Ethernet and won't be able to use WiFi unless you use an external solution. (Some OSMC/OpenELEC builds may support WiFI USB sticks, otherwise if you need WiFi you'll need to use a WiFi->Ethernet bridge type device) That said, WiFi is not recommended for high quality videos (as it often struggles with the bitrate)
Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like Crystal HD is the way to go, and so, just placed the order for the newer card.

I had noted in some videos that the wifi functionality will be lost but that is not a problem. When I built our home, I fully wired the house with at least 2 Cat 5e runs to each room, and in some cases, multiple points in one room (ie like our great room, basement etc) to have greater flexibility with positioning of equipment. Wireless is only used for our laptop and smart phones. Still believe in hard wire being the better option so everything else is connected via ethernet.

Thanks for the clarification on the op system. I have been doing my research on OSMC and OpenElec, but I am not really sure which way to go though. Any thoughts/preferences? It would be nice if there was an android option like some of the off the shelf media boxes out there. But I presume lack of memory is an issue with ATV1.

Thanks again

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV1 using component - Need Crystal HD Card?0