Android Shield TV - Allow true 4K rendering for everything
This has been discussed earlier on the Nvidia Shield TV thread, so I decided to create a seperate feature request for it.
As a small introduction: the Shield TV forces Apps to run in 1080p even when connected to a 4K display. Videos are still rendered in 4k though because of the Media Codec Surface renderer. This means that the videos are processed directly through the renderer without Kodi "seeing" the video. Kodi 15.2 doesn't have implementation of the Media Coded Surface renderer and because of this a hack was implemented (as explained to me by Koying in the Nvidia Shield TV thread): It forced Kodi to run at true 4K resoulution to get a 4K image. Now in Kodi 16 betas and nightlies, MC Surface is implemented and thus, the hack was removed causing the rest of Kodi to render in 1080p only.

However, I think that this hack should be reimplemented (at least as a option to turn on in the settings) for multiple reasons:
- The GUI would be rendered in 4K instead of 1080p (not a big deal, but it looks better especially concerning things like album art or movie posters)
- Addons like boblight could be used in 4K (MC Surface passes the image through without Kodi (and thus boblight) being able to "see" it as stated above. This means that boblight can only be used using normal Media Codec, which only renders in 1080p as the internal resolution of Kodi 16 is 1080p)
- Visualizations and pictures would be rendered in 4K instead of 1080p
This change would just be a reimplementation of something that was there before, so (probably) definetely possible and very easy to do. It wouldn't be a change of the Shield's resolution (which is not possible from 'normal' software on Android atm), but just a change of Kodi's internal resolution.

-Danos
Btw this hack is not really a hack, there are also some 3d games on the Shield that run in native 4k. Even Nvidia itself claims Kodi to be optimized for the Shield TV:

Quote:4K Ultra HD video
SHIELD is the only Android TV box that lets you enjoy 4K content on Kodi and 4K shows from Netflix. The most recent release of Kodi (v15 “Isengard”) was optimized for SHIELD with 4K Ultra HD support, refresh rate switching, and hardware-accelerated HEVC playback support.

This means removing this "hack" as it is currently done in Kodi 16 pre-release versions, is actually de-optimizing :/
Please reconsider this decision Smile
we don't like device specific hacks
@Danos

I would guess (and might be totally wrong) that 4K gui support is possible, but would be implemented in a different (non-hack) way. It will take time, but we can all see the benefits of a 4K GUI :)
The first question that I'd ask is if this is really a device specific hack. It seems more like a special flag for the Shield TV set somewhere in the app to tell the console to run the app in full 4K like with those 3D games.

From the 2.0 update changelog by Nvidia

Quote:Experience Android games in 4K Ultra HD.

SHIELD now supports 4K Ultra HD game rendering for crisper visuals. The following Android games are now enabled to render in 4K: Beach Buggy Racing, Bombsquad, Hardwood Solitaire IV, Riptide GP 2, Kosmik Revenge, Video Poker Duel, Leo's Fortune, Machinarium, Meltdown, Never Alone, Samurai II, and Sky Gamblers: Storm Raiders.

I assume that these games don't use some kind of hack but rather a flag like "NVIDIA_enable_4k = true", though I could be totally wrong with this theory as well.
Unfortunately, I haven't found any information on how to force apps to run at 4K. If it is really just some kind of flag, it should be pretty easy to force any app to output 4K if you're rooted... and it should then be even easier for app developers to do so.
Of course, it would still be a device specific thing, but it would be quite useful.
If that's how v15 handled it, then sure, but I have no idea if that's the case.
Well. As there hasn't been any activity in this one... Can anyone from the devs check how this so-called "hack" was implemented back then? Or does somebody already know how it was done? At least for me, this would be a very important feature... Undecided

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shield TV - Allow true 4K rendering for everything2