• 97(current)
Release Kanzi: Amazon Alexa skill for Kodi
Twit, were you installing or upgrading? The upgrade instructions are pretty clear on using git pull. I don't want to accidently trach my .env file.

Also, is you working folder named kodi-alexa or kodi-alexa-master? That may matter. Did you run the git command in the c:\python27\kodi-alexa folder or in the C:\python27 folder?

I tried running git init and git status and got this:

(venv) C:\Python27\kodi-alexa-master>git status
On branch master

Initial commit

Untracked files:
(use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)

.env.example
.gitignore
CHANGELOG.txt
CONTRIBUTING.md
CONTRIBUTORS.md
ISO-639-2_utf-8.txt
LICENSE
Procfile
README.md
UPGRADING.md
alexa.py
alexa.wsgi
app.json
generate_custom_slots.py
kodi.py
kodi_108x108.png
kodi_512x512.png
requirements.txt
speech_assets/
templates.de.yaml
templates.en.yaml
utterances.german.txt
utterances.txt
zappa.txt

nothing added to commit but untracked files present (use "git add" to track)

Looks good to me??

Now I get:

(venv) C:\Python27\kodi-alexa-master>git pull origin master
fatal: 'origin' does not appear to be a git repository
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.

So still no joy.
Hi @jingai - it seems to have worked. Dunno what changed, but it worked and now the skill is active and working again.

Thank you for your time and help.
(2017-04-19, 16:19)m0ngr31 Wrote: I was just notified that the HowToGeek article was updated this morning, so maybe it'll be easier to follow if you start over?

This is good advice for anyone trying to do get this working on Windows:
https://www.howtogeek.com/249336/how-to-...azon-echo/

I'll list the bits I found confusing in the README.md, as a Windows user, in the hope it helps others, or help to update the instructions.

"Unless you are going to host the skill on Heroku, there are a few things in the instructions that you will need to install before you can get started:

Python 2.7 (Python 3 will not work)
Git"

I hosted on Heroku, but if you don't install Python, (and apparently it has to be at least 2.7.9, because pip wasn't found when I tried 2.7.0), then where are you going to enter this:
"Next, run these commands to configure your computer for AWS service access: pip install awscli"?

I tried to enter the commands on a GIT command window, as a guess, because it didn't say where, but when I got to the next bit, I got stuck:

"Before you deploy, you need to create the file kodi.config", that's OK, but where do I put it when it's created? Nowhere does it say to download the repository and put it on your local drive, or is there another method?

"On the next page, you'll have to paste the contents of the IntentSchema.json file into the "Intent Schema" field, and paste the contents of the SampleUtterances.txt file in the "Sample Utterances" field. " These files are located in the https://github.com/m0ngr31/kodi-alexa/tr...ech_assets directory would be a helpful addition, or something similar for idiots like me.

Also, the slot generator web page gives me a "Please validate your server information and try again" error, but the python version works.

"You can also get the information from running python generate_custom_slots.py in the project directory." Once again you need to have Python, even if using Heroku, by the looks.

Thanks for all the work on this. It really is awesome to be able to do so much in Kodi with just your voice. Smile
(2017-05-24, 07:11)blaher Wrote: I hosted on Heroku, but if you don't install Python, (and apparently it has to be at least 2.7.9, because pip wasn't found when I tried 2.7.0), then where are you going to enter this:
"Next, run these commands to configure your computer for AWS service access: pip install awscli"?

If you're hosting with Heroku, skip the Lambda section.. the README tells you this ("skip to the Skill Setup section").

(2017-05-24, 07:11)blaher Wrote: I tried to enter the commands on a GIT command window, as a guess, because it didn't say where, but when I got to the next bit, I got stuck:

"Before you deploy, you need to create the file kodi.config", that's OK, but where do I put it when it's created? Nowhere does it say to download the repository and put it on your local drive, or is there another method?

Why are you following the instructions for AWS if you're trying to host on Heroku...? You're in the wrong section entirely. For Heroku, you push the Heroku button and then skip down to the skill setup section, as the README states.

(2017-05-24, 07:11)blaher Wrote: "On the next page, you'll have to paste the contents of the IntentSchema.json file into the "Intent Schema" field, and paste the contents of the SampleUtterances.txt file in the "Sample Utterances" field. " These files are located in the https://github.com/m0ngr31/kodi-alexa/tr...ech_assets directory would be a helpful addition, or something similar for idiots like me.

Open an Issue on Github please stating that you'd like to see links to these files added to the README.

(2017-05-24, 07:11)blaher Wrote: Also, the slot generator web page gives me a "Please validate your server information and try again" error, but the python version works.

Are you sure you entered everything correctly?

(2017-05-24, 07:11)blaher Wrote: "You can also get the information from running python generate_custom_slots.py in the project directory." Once again you need to have Python, even if using Heroku, by the looks.

Because we expect the Heroku users to use the web slot generator.
@bill_orange, it looks like you initially downloaded the ZIP file rather than using "git clone" to create your local copy. If you do this, you won't use "git pull" to update the code -- you'd download the new ZIP release instead.

The UPGRADING instructions tell you to use "git pull" because the README instructs people to use "git clone" to initially create it. If you choose to do it some other way, you'll need to account for that.
As usual you are correct. I now recall that I only put git on my machine after I successfully got Kodi-Alexa going.

I am still stuck.

I downloaded the zip file and replaced all the changed files in my working folder. I activated the virtual environment, ran requirements and discovered that for some reason I had to reinstall zappa. Okay zappa reinstalled. With my heart filled with hope, I ran 'zappa update dev' Here's what I got:

(venv) C:\Python27\kodi-alexa>zappa update dev
Calling update for stage dev..
Oh no! An error occurred! Sad

==============

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\zappa\cli.py", line 2353, in handle
sys.exit(cli.handle())
File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\zappa\cli.py", line 456, in handle
self.dispatch_command(self.command, stage)
File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\zappa\cli.py", line 500, in dispatch_comma
nd
self.update()
File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\zappa\cli.py", line 794, in update
self.create_package()
File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\zappa\cli.py", line 1945, in create_packag
e
output=output
File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\zappa\core.py", line 462, in create_lambda
_zip
copytree(site_packages, temp_package_path, symlinks=False, ignore=shutil.ign
ore_patterns(*excludes))
File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\zappa\utilities.py", line 32, in copytree
shutil.copystat(src, dst)
File "c:\python27\lib\shutil.py", line 95, in copystat
st = os.stat(src)
WindowsError: [Error 3] The system cannot find the path specified: 'C:\\Python27
\\kodi-alexa-master\\venv\\Lib\\site-packages'

==============

Need help? Found a bug? Let us know! Big Grin
File bug reports on GitHub here: https://github.com/Miserlou/Zappa
And join our Slack channel here: https://slack.zappa.io
Love!,
~ Team Zappa!

(venv) C:\Python27\kodi-alexa>

It looks like my renaming of my working folder yesterday screwed things up. My folder is kodi-alexa and its looking for kodi-alexa-master. My zappa site on lambda is named kodi-alexa-dev.

What should I do? I don't know how to proceed or how, even to start over. Could I just delete the zappa site from Lambda, delete my working Kodi -Alexa folder from c:\Python27 and start over (saving my .env for reuse). Would the existing zappa an env installation screw me up if I tried that?

Is there a way to proceed?
Well, try renaming it back firstly Wink

Sent from my D5803
I was hoping that was possible, but I could not find any sort of zappa config file.

For clarity (mainly to me) :

My Lambda site is named: kodi-alexa-dev.

My working folder is: c:\python27\kodi-alexa.

Zappa is (apparently) looking for: kodi-alexa-master.
I mean just rename the directory

Sent from my D5803
Okay.

I used Windows 10 File History feature to roll back my Kodi-Alexa folder to before my many screw-ups. So I did this:

Download zip file and copy into working Kodi-Alexa folder

Take information from .env and copy into kodi.config template and save it in Kodi-alexa working folder

Run venv\Scripts\activate.bat

Run pip install -r requirements.txt ( all requirements were already met)

Run zappa update dev

Delete and replace all slots with a fresh set using your time saving utility

Delete and replace utterances and intents with new ones (I did not look to see if any changed)

Save and rebuild

Test... Hurray - it worked

Since I had so much self inflicted trouble with this, can you let me know if the procedure above is correct in both errors or omissions?

I would use this procedure the next time if it is okay. Although, really, next time I am temped to just delete my working folder after saving kodi.config and start over using git clone now that git is installed on my machine.

thanks - - Bill
Yup what you did sounds fine.

Sent from my D5803
(2017-05-24, 07:39)jingai Wrote: If you're hosting with Heroku, skip the Lambda section.. the README tells you this ("skip to the Skill Setup section").

Ah yes, sorry. I was getting confused and frustrated trying to get either to work, and combined bits of both!

(2017-05-24, 07:11)blaher Wrote: Also, the slot generator web page gives me a "Please validate your server information and try again" error, but the python version works.
(2017-05-24, 07:39)jingai Wrote: Are you sure you entered everything correctly?

Yes, and I tried both Firefox and Chrome, and both WAN IP, and also tried 127.0.0.1 on the local machine. I tried it many, many times, and double checked with no luck.

On an unrelated note, has anyone had luck with the fullscreen toggle? http://i.imgur.com/Gh9P9fD.jpg shows Alexa is hearing it properly, and the other commands such as navigate left, right, etc. work, but not fullscreen. I can toggle fullscreen with EventGhost, so I know it's not Kodi itself, so to speak.
(2017-05-26, 05:37)blaher Wrote: Yes, and I tried both Firefox and Chrome, and both WAN IP, and also tried 127.0.0.1 on the local machine. I tried it many, many times, and double checked with no luck.

Well, it most definitely will not work with localhost/127.0.0.1. The web slot generator is a 'cloud app,' so it's not local.

You should be using the WAN IP (or, preferably, a hostname from a dynamic DNS service if you don't have a static IP) and the port you opened on your router. That last bit is important, as it isn't necessarily the same port Kodi is listening on.

(2017-05-26, 05:37)blaher Wrote: On an unrelated note, has anyone had luck with the fullscreen toggle? http://i.imgur.com/Gh9P9fD.jpg shows Alexa is hearing it properly, and the other commands such as navigate left, right, etc. work, but not fullscreen. I can toggle fullscreen with EventGhost, so I know it's not Kodi itself, so to speak.

Fullscreen toggle works here. Do note that it's not supposed to switch windowed <-> fullscreen, but rather toggle between the mini player and full player. It's equivalent to hitting Tab in Kodi.
Over the last couple of days I have observed that playlists don't work quit right in Kodi 18 (alpha).

Jingai's thought was that a parameter in the playlist function was depreciated in Kodi 18. This morning, to take a break from soldering surface mount., I loaded up my spare PI with Kodi 17 and pointed the Alexa skill at it.

On Kodi 17 playlist requests work perfectly. On Kodi 18 they are broken.
@bill_orange, please open an issue on Github for that. I'm still on Kodi 17, but I'll try to look into it when I get the chance.

Sent from my D5803
  • 97(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kanzi: Amazon Alexa skill for Kodi15