Help with buffering
Hey there,

Just bought a goobang doo android box and am having issues. Addons were installed with no problems, but it seems my Internet is a little too slow. I start a movie and shortly after it buffers, then starts, then buffers.

Would it help if i popped in an sdcard with an advancedsettings.xml file in it? Or can i just copy an advancedsettings.xml file right onto the box?

What would the best settings be to put in the advancedsettings file? Please help, thx
nope
How are you playing your movies, what add-on or source?

Bearing in mind our forum rules (wiki) on piracy and banned add-ons (wiki).

Also moved to video add-ons, at least for the moment.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
So, there is no way to stop buffering on these things? My bad, thought there was
(2016-01-03, 16:30)13moe Wrote: So, there is no way to stop buffering on these things? My bad, thought there was

You can stop the buffering by watching LEGAL sources, paying for your content and stop using unreliable piracy add-ons.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
My netflix addon is buffering there guy
Sounds like your internet speed then yes, either the service itself or your local hardware (router, WiFi, cabling etc)
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-01-03, 19:10)DarrenHill Wrote: Sounds like your internet speed then yes, either the service itself or your local hardware (router, WiFi, cabling etc)

Its definitely my Internet (i have little options) i brought the device to a friend's and it works fine.
That's why i was hoping i could tweak some setting to maybe give me option to start a movie, then hit pause so it would download just like youtube does
Beware of torrent autostarts in msconfig, streaming HQ youtube on other users can interfere at times.

Stream starts at full speed then should adjust to burst rate every second or so to sustain buffer if no traffic jams. Even a burst start on another local user of streaming video can create a bump in your traffic, but the cache size is a tradeoff between latency (waiting) and buffer size.

Your problem appears to be buffer under-run not buffer size from traffic collisions on weak wifi or anywhere else.

Also excessive background processes such as some security suites can slow process by background scanning your PC.

Task Mgr >Performance> Network graph is handy for Ethernet monitoring issues.
(2016-01-03, 19:57)Sunnysky Wrote: Beware of torrent autostarts in msconfig, streaming HQ youtube on other users can interfere at times.

Stream starts at full speed then should adjust to burst rate every second or so to sustain buffer if no traffic jams. Even a burst start on another local user of streaming video can create a bump in your traffic, but the cache size is a tradeoff between latency (waiting) and buffer size.

Your problem appears to be buffer under-run not buffer size from traffic collisions on weak wifi or anywhere else.

Also excessive background processes such as some security suites can slow process by background scanning your PC.

Task Mgr >Performance> Network graph is handy for Ethernet monitoring issues.

This is an android device, not a pc
right. so consider only the causes of LAN & WAN bottlenecks only.
(2016-01-03, 19:17)13moe Wrote: That's why i was hoping i could tweak some setting to maybe give me option to start a movie, then hit pause so it would download just like youtube does
In theory that should be possible - have a look at the wiki:
HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache (wiki)
If you set video cache to 0 it will cache the whole file - but only if you have enough space.
The problem you have is what you're going to cache on. Not knowing your box I doubt there's enough internal memory.
The video cache in Android is normally located (I think!) on your internal storage in the Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/temp folder.
You can either move the whole .kodi installation to an sd card (simple enough, see the wiki but read a few threads here too - lots of people seem to struggle) or move just the temp folder to sd (or usb stick, or even a usb hdd). Something like foldermount or link2sd should work for that, but they might need root access (no idea, never played with unrooted android).
Any of the above might work flawlessly for you, or might slow kodi down.
Caching might work flawlessly on an sd card, or it might not.
There may be an issue with write cycles to an sd card (having said that plenty have used zero cache on a pi sd).
I've run kodi on an sd card on various tablets and not noticed a slowdown, but I might have just been lucky or unobservant.
(2016-01-03, 18:46)13moe Wrote: My netflix addon is buffering there guy

You're using a Kodi Netflix add-on on an Android device? Right.... Wink

So why are you asking about tweaking KODI settings and:

Quote:That's why i was hoping i could tweak some setting to maybe give me option to start a movie, then hit pause so it would download just like youtube does

If you pull the other one it has bells on... Big Grin
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
No guilt here, my credit card gets charged monthly for netflix.
Buffering is kind of going away anymore. If you're not currently watching the video services don't want to use bandwidth on you and risk wasting it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with buffering0