Trivia Game
I noticed at a local bar they had a trivia game where people had a little remote interface and were competing to see who could answer the most questions correctly. I think this would be a blast for at parties (we have pretty dull parties Smile) and it seems like a python script might be the way to go with this.

I'm thinking that it should allow up to 4 players. At the start each player would press a button (X) to play and then someone would press Start to begin the game. Possible options at this point could include the amount of time for each question to be displayed, the point total to play up to, the trivia set to use (All, Sports, Movies, Kids, etc), and the difficulty (Random, Easy, Medium, Hard). The screen would say "Next question in X seconds" and have it count down, or just say "Get ready for the next question". It could also display the category of the upcoming question and the current score of all the players.

The question would get displayed along with each possible answer. The answers would have symbols corresponding to the controller buttons. The question would get displayed for X seconds (let's use 10 as an example). Each second that passes, the player would get 1 fewer point for answering it right. So if they take 3 seconds to answer it right, they'd get 7 points. After everyone answers or time runs out, it would highlight the correct answer and show how many points each person earned. It would continue to the next question.

Gameplay would end when someone hit the target number of points.

I think something like this would be pretty popular, since you could make a kids set of questions so kids can play at parties. It could also be made into a drinking game for adult parties (take a drink whenever you answer a question wrong or everyone answers wrong).

Questions could be stored in XML files. The filename wouldn't matter, but would probably match the category of questions contained within (sports01.xml, kids01.xml, etc). The XML file could have this format:

Code:
<trivia>
  <category>Sports</category>
  <item>
     <difficulty>medium</difficulty>
     <question>Who was the MVP of Superbowl I</question>
     <correctanswer>Bart Starr</correctanswer>
     <wronganswer>Joe Namath</wronganswer>
     <wronganswer>Len Dawson</wronganswer>
     <wronganswer>Vince Lombardi</wronganswer>
  </item>
  <item>
etc ...
  </item>
</trivia>

The answers should be randomized when displayed, obviously. I'm a programmer, so if nobody else is interested in doing this, I might be able to work on it at some point. I'm just pretty busy with other stuff right now. I'd be happy to put a bunch of trivia questions together for it, though. If someone decides to work on something like this, there could obviously be other ways of scoring and displaying info. I was just brainstorming and writing it all down. Smile

Bonus: Allow customizable background image? Play music somehow? Can music be playing while a python script is running? I've never tried.
Oh.. like I said, I'm a programmer. What I didn't mention is that I haven't done any python before, so it would probably take me a while and not be that great of a script if I do it myself. Smile
An online database would be ideal so that you would constantly get new questions. Different databases for different countries might also be a good idea.
Maybe just a CVS or SVN place to hold the questions? No need for an elaborate website when you just need a place to hold the files along with some version control.
XBMC doesn´t make a difference on which controller a Button is pressed. Without that the script would be useless IMO.

@szsori:
If you are a programmer, then you could write a patch for XBMC to recognize the different ports?

If there is such a script, i can help making german questions Wink
Philips TV with Kodi 20.2 with IPTV --- Orbsmart 500 Android 21 alpha/beta as Online-radio/TV in the kitchen
Solo0815 Wrote:XBMC doesn´t make a difference on which controller a Button is pressed. Without that the script would be useless IMO.

Not really: at a first time, one player can use one button (A, B, X, Y), and when multicontroller support is implemented use it in a more correct way.
Is there any plan to implement multicontroller support? I wouldn't be able to do it unless it's really easy. I doubt it is, however, since neither XBMC nor the Xport emulators have implemented it for their menu systems yet. I think having each person use a different button would be a viable option until multicontroller support is built in, but it wouldn't be nearly as slick. It would require that a person "ring in" with their button and then use the d-pad to select the answer they want. With multicontroller support each person would just have to hit the button that corresponds to the correct answer.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Trivia Game0