enabled live tv caused kodi to freeze [newbie]
Kodi was workoing well without pvr.
just enabled nextpvr and that did not cause any apparent problem.
next step was to enable live tv.
that caused kodi to freeze with no cpu and no change in memory use (per task manager)
Killed kodi task and restarted kodi. On startup kodi freezes showing the blue bubble background (about 52mb memeory use).
Killed kodi task and retarted win7. Restart kodi, still freezes at same point apparently.
reinstalled kodi 12
restart kodi, still freezes at same point (apparently)

i have nextpvr installed and it seems fine, but since I have no tuner I can't be certain.
i only plan to use it with kodi.
Searched for solution without success.

Thanks in advance for any help. ;^)
Why have you installed nextPVR addon if you don't have a backend tuner?
As a newbie I can't say I am certain. I thought it could be used to record from Kodi sources.
(2016-01-03, 21:03)iamjohngalt Wrote: reinstalled kodi 12
Have you tried anything more current? Kodi 12 was a very long time ago. Most people are running Kodi 15. The new Kodi 16 is much better when it comes to PVR support, since it adds scheduled recordings.
Wait - no tuner? NextPVR will be of no use to you if you don't have a tuner. It's for watching/recording live tv from a TV tuner. You can't do that without a tuner.
sub3, my error. First I should have typed Kodi 15.2.
Second, I thought a pvr could be used to record from kodi sources.
Regardless, I still need to know how to resolve this frozen kodi problem.

Edit- OK, edited the guisettings.xml file to disable tv pvr and kodi is working again..
(2016-01-03, 22:12)iamjohngalt Wrote: Second, I thought a pvr could be used to record from kodi sources.

A PVR is a personal VIDEO recorder. It records things from TV stations. I don't know what you mean by "Kodi sources," but I'm guessing you mean streaming video of some sort. You definitely can't make local copies of those using any PVR program of which I'm aware.
Sub3, don't you think a well behaved nextPVR addon should at least not cause a system freeze if no tuner is configured?
(2016-01-04, 22:25)jmooremcc Wrote: Sub3, don't you think a well behaved nextPVR addon should at least not cause a system freeze if no tuner is configured?
I'm not aware of any other reports of this, and I can't reproduce it here, so at this stage I'm doubting it's anything to do with NextPVR. Here on Kodi 16 with an empty NextPVR database, it starts fine, and just doesn't show the TV menu button in Kodi's menu. I also can't see anything in the addon code that would have a problem with no channels having been setup - it'd just be returning an empty channel list to Kodi when it was requested.

I'm happy to take a look at the logs if he want's to post them.
Hi sub3,
First, apologies for misunderstanding functionality of nextpvr.
As for the startup problem
I couldn't get Kodi to boot up until I edited the guisettings.xml and changed
<pvrmanager>
<enabled>true</enabled>

to
<pvrmanager>
<enabled>false</enabled>

Then I could use kodi again with no apparent problem.

I will upload a log, but could you tell me how to find and/or generate it, please?
I can see some files named similar to:
xbmc_crashlog-15.2 Git_20151019-02e7013-20160103-131802.dmp
xbmc_stacktrace-15.2 Git_20151019-02e7013-20160103-131802.txt

These are dated 3 Jan and time is just before the first post on this thread.
Thanks in advance.
I'm am not sure that this is limited to nextpvr as I have had the same issue with the HTS PVR backend, including today when I installed a newer version of it.

Typically the fix for me is to disable PVR support, then once in Kodi configure the HTS plugin and enable the PVR support.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
enabled live tv caused kodi to freeze [newbie]0