Kodi 3D Home Theater Set-Up
No, not to replace anything. It would be an addition. Bass shakers aka Tactile Transducer, really complete a theatre room imo. Not sure about your AVR, but mine has dual subwoofer output. Not that it matters, you can just tap into your output with a Y cord adapter between your AVR and sub. Once tapped, you can split the subwoofer signals out of your AVR to a bass shaker setup and control the intensity via an external amp supplying power to the shaker(s). Much like the plate amp on your subwoofer.

The shaker itself doesn't make any noise even though it's signal is audio. What it does do is add another dimension to your audio/visual experience enhancing the realism tremendously. Like the name implies, it shakes (vibrates) to Hz you set it's amp at. Personally I dial my subwoofer and my shakers to the lowest Hz it's able to achieve. (about 25Hz) That way it isn't firing all the time but only at the times where it's most impressive like explosions or deep, deep, sub tones.

You bolt them securely onto what ever you sit on. The idea is to find the sweet spot so the entire thing shakes sending the vibration throughout your entire body. Many enthusiasts use more than one. The realism is quite impressive if you've never tried it. I've read about the sweet spot, multiple shakers of various sizes and so on. Personally, I've sat on one with quite an array of shakers and really couldn't tell any difference from my own setup using just one. So far, I have bolted 3 shakers on the bottom of an Ikea couch. After reducing the amount to 1 shaker, I couldn't tell any difference and have used one ever since. I have another mounted on a Lazy boy, and another mounted on a dual seat reclining couch. They work perfect and I think installing any more is overkill since I would just be turning down the amp volume to it anyway.

There are a ton of sizes and this and that and what it really boils down to is like anything else. Money. If you know me, you know I'm as frugal and resourceful as it gets. The last shaker with amp, cords, etc I purchased was $19. Yep, $19. I have paid as high as $35 for the same setup and I've bought and installed a lot of them with no complaints. Compared to its counterparts it's very, very worth a go if your interested. Consider a basic aura shaker is $40 and a plate amp to drive it is about $100.

I use Aura shakers except not the ones you purchase outright available today. Instead, they used to be installed in a kids gaming toy back in the day. These toys can still be found. Ebay, craigslist, etc. Search for aura interactor. Take the toy apart, remove the shaker, install the shaker securely on the bottom of your seat and you're done. Find a mounting point that is the integral part of your seat. (a part of the frame that is connected to everything else so it will resonate) The amp that comes with the toy is more than sufficient. I use mine at 50% volume. Any more than that will shake the fillings out of your teeth, literally. It has a Hz adjustment on it as well. I turn it all the way down. I have a 50' run of 26 guage + and - wire to the shaker from its amp. You would think it require higher gauge but it doesn't. Makes it simple to install.

This is the most important part:
Don't tell your guests or family. The 1st time it starts to fire they are going to look at you and say "WHAT SIZE SUBWOOFER DO YOU HAVE AND WHERE IS IT?" since it appears you are moving air that resembles about a 110" subwoofer driver. It's this that makes the whole project fun.

http://www.parts-express.com/aurasound-a...r--299-028
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audi...r--300-802
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/32-theater...-amps.html
http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Bu...7675.m4099
http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/accessori...o_mod.html

I use these:
http://www.avsim.com/pages/0604/aura/aur...ractor.htm

and I see a couple on Ebay now for about $20.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40...or&_sop=15

If you end up trying it, let me know what you think.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
When are you going atmos?
Im for the moment doubting between going the new speakers route (xtz cinema serie) or going new amp like:
- denon X6200w
- marantz sr 7010
- arcam avr 550

You?
Hdmkv?
@brazen1, still looking into your suggestions. Too little time; too much work... aaargh! Wink

@Skank, I am... just waiting for prices to come down to earth a bit Smile. Also looking at Yamaha RX-A2050.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2016-01-04, 04:08)hdmkv Wrote: Basement: Dedicated Home Theater

Finally done, after couple of months of own work and hiring a contractor Big Grin ...

watch gallery

Equipment list:
  • Epson 5025UB 1080p 3D projector
  • Da-lite High Power 133" 16x9 screen (too bad Da-lite no longer makes HP screens)
  • Pioneer 'Andrew Jones' SP-series budget speaker system
    - SP-FS52-LR towers (2x fronts)
    - SP-BS22-LR bookshelfs (4x side & rear surrounds)
    - SP-C22 center
    - Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX subwoofer (got off Craigslist as the Pioneer SW-8MK2 just didn't cut it for my size room)
  • Denon AVR-X2100W 7.2-channel A/V receiver
  • Synology DS1812+ NAS with 2x expansion units (for all media storage)
  • HiMedia Q5 4K 3D media player (my primary 3D Kodi box)
  • Raspberry Pi2 w/OpenELEC (my secondary 3D Kodi box)
  • nVidia Shield TV 16GB (my primary 2D Kodi box)
  • WeTek Core (mostly for testing at present)
  • Zidoo X6 (just for testing at present)
  • HiMedia H8 Octa (just for testing at present)
  • Beelink Mini MX S905 (just for testing at present)

Planning to upgrade to a Dolby ATMOS & DTS:X 7.1.4 audio system this year, once AVR prices come down to $1K or less. Hoping to jump on a 4K projector, but only if it can also do 3D, and also after prices comes down to less than $3K.

Family Room: Casual Viewing

watch gallery

Equipment list:
  • Vizio D65u-D2 65-inch 4K LED Smart TV (snagged Black Friday deal Smile)
  • nVidia Shield TV 500GB
  • Apple TV 4 (selling as mostly unimpressed)
  • TiVo Roamio OTA HD DVR
  • Yamaha YAS-101 Sound Bar

Loft: Kids' Game Room

watch gallery

Equipment list:
  • BenQ W1070 3D projector (my old basement PJ, now demoted here)
  • Flat-white painted wall as screen
  • XBOX One with Kinect (refurb)
  • WiiU
  • Raspberry Pi2 w/OpenELEC
  • Pioneer VSX-822 5.1-channel A/V receiver

WhattHuh? Amazing setup my respects for you i want something kind like that too.Big GrinCool
(2016-01-04, 04:08)hdmkv Wrote: Basement: Dedicated Home Theater

Finally done, after couple of months of own work and hiring a contractor Big Grin ...

watch gallery

Equipment list:
  • Epson 5025UB 1080p 3D projector
  • Da-lite High Power 133" 16x9 screen (too bad Da-lite no longer makes HP screens)
  • Pioneer 'Andrew Jones' SP-series budget speaker system
    - SP-FS52-LR towers (2x fronts)
    - SP-BS22-LR bookshelfs (4x side & rear surrounds)
    - SP-C22 center
    - Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX subwoofer (got off Craigslist as the Pioneer SW-8MK2 just didn't cut it for my size room)
  • Denon AVR-X2100W 7.2-channel A/V receiver
  • Synology DS1812+ NAS with 2x expansion units (for all media storage)
  • HiMedia Q5 4K 3D media player (my primary 3D Kodi box)
  • Raspberry Pi2 w/OpenELEC (my secondary 3D Kodi box)
  • nVidia Shield TV 16GB (my primary 2D Kodi box)
  • WeTek Core (mostly for testing at present)
  • Zidoo X6 (just for testing at present)
  • HiMedia H8 Octa (just for testing at present)
  • Beelink Mini MX S905 (just for testing at present)

Planning to upgrade to a Dolby ATMOS & DTS:X 7.1.4 audio system this year, once AVR prices come down to $1K or less. Hoping to jump on a 4K projector, but only if it can also do 3D, and also after prices comes down to less than $3K.

Family Room: Casual Viewing

watch gallery

Equipment list:
  • Vizio D65u-D2 65-inch 4K LED Smart TV (snagged Black Friday deal Smile)
  • nVidia Shield TV 500GB
  • Apple TV 4 (selling as mostly unimpressed)
  • TiVo Roamio OTA HD DVR
  • Yamaha YAS-101 Sound Bar

Loft: Kids' Game Room

watch gallery

Equipment list:
  • BenQ W1070 3D projector (my old basement PJ, now demoted here)
  • Flat-white painted wall as screen
  • XBOX One with Kinect (refurb)
  • WiiU
  • Raspberry Pi2 w/OpenELEC
  • Pioneer VSX-822 5.1-channel A/V receiver

What job do you people do for a set up like this, jealous jealous Big Grin
Can you share the make / model of your seating arrangements? These look comfy as hell Smile
Love it!
I have that keyboard. That's all I have that you have - but it's a start!!!!!!!!! ;-)
Enjoy! :-)
This theater lacks an atmos receiver :p
Thanks guys.

(2016-03-18, 11:45)kuldan Wrote: Can you share the make / model of your seating arrangements? These look comfy as hell Smile
They're from Haverty's, a U.S. furniture chain. Here's their product page.

(2016-03-18, 17:07)Skank Wrote: This theater lacks an atmos receiver :p
And DTS:X. I'll likely go 7.1.2 or 7.1.4 sometime this year. Just waiting for more AVR options, prices to come down a bit.

(2016-03-15, 19:51)calisto Wrote: What job do you people do for a set up like this, jealous jealous Big Grin
Only took me like 15 years to get to a point where I could afford it. Still, did my whole HT on a relatively small budget... considering this hobby isn't cheap no matter how you slice it. For example, my tower speakers were only $99 each, from Fry's on sale. The HT construction, not counting furniture and equipment, but platform, carpeting, etc. was about $6K. Basically, I did everything in stages... over 3 years.
My Family Room Theater
(2016-03-24, 14:30)hdmkv Wrote: Thanks guys.

(2016-03-18, 17:07)Skank Wrote: This theater lacks an atmos receiver :p
And DTS:X. I'll likely go 7.1.2 or 7.1.4 sometime this year. Just waiting for more AVR options, prices to come down a bit.

Mmm that wont happen, they are low right now.
Especially if you want 7.1.4 with only one receiver , you will have to pay much
I would go a receiver that can do 7.1.4 but lacks power...

The time now is right to upgrade, they dont cost "that much"

I expect that my receiver will be deliverd today
your kids room is better then my main room Sad
Really impressive and amazing hdmkv !!
Can I ask you what do you consider best as pure media player in terms of video quality between your himedia q10 pro and nvidia shield tv ?

Thanks,
V.
Tough one... as 3D is a must for me, that would be HiMedia Q10 Pro over nVidia Shield.
My Family Room Theater
Nice set up hdmkv. How about acoustic treatment of the room? I think you should invest on it too. Anyway nice set up....you got gadgets spread out in every room. That media box appears to be Q 10 Pro, not Q5. Is it Q 5?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 3D Home Theater Set-Up0