v15 Slow image load
Hi All,
I have been using quartz skin for past few years, however not seen any updates on this for a while so trying out some others.
I really like this AppTV skin and it was very quick and easy to set up, however on a Raspberry Pi B (the old kind) i am finding loading of posters and thumbnails from library is incredibly slow compared to other skins i have tried. (Quartz, Amber, OSMC, Confluence, etc)

Is this normal? Do i need to change a setting somewhere or is this skin just a little heavier on resources?

**Edit
Installed skin on my i7 Intel nuc as well to compare andskin still slow to load when compared to other skins on same machine.

Many thanks
(2016-01-04, 14:10)bighead85 Wrote: Hi All,
I have been using quartz skin for past few years, however not seen any updates on this for a while so trying out some others.
I really like this AppTV skin and it was very quick and easy to set up, however on a Raspberry Pi B (the old kind) i am finding loading of posters and thumbnails from library is incredibly slow compared to other skins i have tried. (Quartz, Amber, OSMC, Confluence, etc)

Is this normal? Do i need to change a setting somewhere or is this skin just a little heavier on resources?

**Edit
Installed skin on my i7 Intel nuc as well to compare andskin still slow to load when compared to other skins on same machine.

Many thanks
bighead85,

sorry for the late reply, I have been away with the family on holidays. Interesting, no one has mentioned this before could you provide me with a few more details. Does it help to scroll thru the library slowly a few times (in which case it might just be a caching issue). If that does not help, what views does this occur in (or does it happen equally under all view types)? How many items do you have in your library? And do you have any background image setting turned on and if so which ones?

Also it would be helpful to know what version of the skin and Kodi you are using.

Wyrm (AppTV)
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
Thank you for the reply, I was hoping it was more a question the community could help me with rather than trouble yourself. As per your questions;
718 movies split into a kids and adults playing using wall view.
6807 episodes also split into kids and adults with, wall TV shows, cover flow seasons, list episodes.

I have scrolled a few times through to let everything load and some times it can load the wall view in about 3 seconds (on par with other skins I use) other times up to 15 seconds on the raspberry pi 512mb.

Wall, icons, banner views all slower than list/cover flow (as expected as loading more items at once)

I have now turned off background image and this has helped a lot!
I did notice as well in wall view, title is the last thing to load? (Description, duration and rating all load instantly, title won't load until all thumbnails loaded)

Skin 1.2.3
Kodi 15.2
Osmc 1-12 2015

Not sure if it changes anything but all my machines are set up with shared database across them. Been running a range of other skins on them all.

Thank you for looking onto this.
(2016-01-11, 00:59)bighead85 Wrote: Thank you for the reply, I was hoping it was more a question the community could help me with rather than trouble yourself. As per your questions;
718 movies split into a kids and adults playing using wall view.
6807 episodes also split into kids and adults with, wall TV shows, cover flow seasons, list episodes.

I have scrolled a few times through to let everything load and some times it can load the wall view in about 3 seconds (on par with other skins I use) other times up to 15 seconds on the raspberry pi 512mb.

Wall, icons, banner views all slower than list/cover flow (as expected as loading more items at once)

I have now turned off background image and this has helped a lot!
I did notice as well in wall view, title is the last thing to load? (Description, duration and rating all load instantly, title won't load until all thumbnails loaded)

Skin 1.2.3
Kodi 15.2
Osmc 1-12 2015

Not sure if it changes anything but all my machines are set up with shared database across them. Been running a range of other skins on them all.

Thank you for looking onto this.
bighead85,

I have moved on from Kodi 15.2 and am currently only coding for Jarvis 16.0 (the Kodi RC will probably be available real soon nowtm). My skin is currently sitting on version 1.3.2 and is probably quite a bit quicker than 1.2.3 that you are running, so you might want to move up to Kodi Jarvis (pretty stable from want I can see here). Other than that I have checked the differences between my skin and the ones you have listed and the only major difference that I can see between mine and them is that they are using
PHP Code:
<preloaditems>4</preloaditems
where I am using
PHP Code:
<preloaditems>2</preloaditems
throughout my code. This tag was restricted to only allowing 2 preloaded items, but it would seem I must have missed the memo where the number of preloaded items had been upped to 4. If you are up for a little bit of skin editing you could do a global replace of my "<preloaditems>2</preloaditems>" and change it to 4 and see if that helps.

The other thing about my Jarvis skin builds is that I have changed the way background images are handled and so that code should now be lighter on system resources and probably quicker as a bonus too. I will be adding the preload 4 tags to my skin later tonight, so the next release will have this optimisation when I next make a pull request to the main repo.

Let me know if the above helps (hard to tell on my i5 here as already pretty quick, but it feels a little quicker).

Wyrm (AppTV)
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

Thank you for this,
due to using the shared database all my systems need to be on same version so will look at Jarvis builds for OSMC and Android so i can update all my machines.
I have updated the
Code:
<preloaditems>4</preloaditems>
as you suggested, reloaded the skin and this seems to of fixed my problem.
Leaving background art on for my HTPCs and laptop but leaving it off on OSMC devices for now as they are lower spec'd.

I would never of found that, so really appreciate you taking the time to look for me.
Safe to say this is my preferred skin currently, look forward to seeing what improvements you have made for Jarvis!

Cheers
(2016-01-11, 17:17)bighead85 Wrote: Thank you for this,
due to using the shared database all my systems need to be on same version so will look at Jarvis builds for OSMC and Android so i can update all my machines.
I have updated the
Code:
<preloaditems>4</preloaditems>
as you suggested, reloaded the skin and this seems to of fixed my problem.
Leaving background art on for my HTPCs and laptop but leaving it off on OSMC devices for now as they are lower spec'd.

I would never of found that, so really appreciate you taking the time to look for me.
Safe to say this is my preferred skin currently, look forward to seeing what improvements you have made for Jarvis!

Cheers
bighead85,

thank you for replying back. I'm always on the lookout for ways to speed the skin up but as I am the only one coding the skin sometimes its hard to see the forrest for the trees. By all means please point out anything else you see that you think needs work (with examples of where it seems to be done correctly) and I will give it a crack to fix it.

Wyrm (AppTV)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slow image load0