Pi2 and color range (EGL, Limted, Full)
If you route through an AVR I usually recommend Limited colour space to be used on the Pi 2, as most other devices like satellite set top boxes, DVD players, Blu-ray players etc. will output Limited, so if you are feeding them to a single TV input through an amp (or HDMI switcher) you want a single standard for all sources, and if some sources don't offer Full, then all sources should run Limited (*).

(*) Some newer TVs will interpret HDMI 'Info Frames' which will contain metadata flagging whether the source is Limited or Full range and switch accordingly. This is quite recent and not universal yet though - so can't be relied on.
I don't have hdmi on my amp, so Pi is connected directly to TV and it is the only device I use.
In this case do you recommend to switch to RGB Full both on Pi2 and TV?
(2016-03-25, 13:45)gurabli Wrote: I don't have hdmi on my amp, so Pi is connected directly to TV and it is the only device I use.
In this case do you recommend to switch to RGB Full both on Pi2 and TV?

I think it will depend how your TV handles stuff internally (any internal digital tuners will be receiving Limited stuff). Given that most consumer HDMI devices run Limited, I'd stick with RGB Limited, but it might set your mind at rest to play some test ramps (greyscale from 16-235 and Red, Green and Blue ramps similarly designed) and see if the banding is different between them.
I checked with RGB full and didn't see any improvement compared to limited. I used N3150 Intel with EGL VAAPI with patched kernel in limited passthrough mode RGB and that is really fantastic, but that is another hw and situation compared to Pi.
Here I found some test pictures for testing
(2016-03-25, 17:20)herrmeier01 Wrote: Here I found some test pictures for testing

I would only use absolutely confirmed test video clips. Unfortunately the ones I have are copyright so I can't share.
(2016-03-26, 03:17)noggin Wrote:
(2016-03-25, 17:20)herrmeier01 Wrote: Here I found some test pictures for testing

I would only use absolutely confirmed test video clips. Unfortunately the ones I have are copyright so I can't share.

Yes you're right, the pictures is only for a quick test to verify if the color mode is supported or not. I use it for a few of TVs and some of them didn't support full mode. A free test video is available here
I never calibrate my TV. I have dynamic back-light which changes all the time and all the colors ect. too.

Maybe TV and ambilight calibration is a good idee for an add-on or build-in feature for Kodi.
(2016-01-07, 18:31)popcornmix Wrote: The GUI is RGB full, but video is on a separate layer that never has to be converted to RGB full.

Does this mean the GUI and the Video are operating in different color spaces?

I recently got a Pi3 running Libreelec, and in doing some comparisons to a windows box and fire tv (android) I notice the color of the GUI seems off on the Pi.

When actually playing a video the colors all match up between the three machines, but when just in the GUI and looking at the posters etc I notice that blacks look quite washed out and grey on the Pi when compared to the Windows or Fire TV.

I've also tried to manually set the colorspace to RGB full, which seems to fix and match the GUI colors to the other boxes, but it then makes the video look washed out and grey.

In the end it's not a big problem and I will leave it as RGB limited/default (as obviously I'd rather have the video displaying the correct colors), but just wondering if there is something else I can do to try and fix it and get the GUI colors to display correctly (Have tried this across 2 Panasonic TV's and and an Epson projector and multiple HDMI cables all with the same result)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pi2 and color range (EGL, Limted, Full)0