Understanding EDL and commercial skip
I've been reading what others have done to get commercial skip to work in Kodi with pvr.mythtv. I have Kodi 15.2 and MythTV PVR Client 2.7.4. My frontend is a Core i5 NUC running Kodibuntu.

I have the EDL setting in the PVR client set to Dialog.

I have one recording where commercial skips work correctly in MythTV Frontend. However, with Kodi, I never get the Dialog about using the EDL or cutlist. So no Kodi commercial skip for that file. (The recording was created before I changed the Kodi PVR client from Always to Dialog)

I have another recording that I have never opened in Mythfrontend and when I open it in Kodi I get the dialog, If I select to use it I get proper commercial skip. If I stop playing, exit and then start again and select the same recording, but select resume at the time I stopped, I get the EDL dialog and it resume play with proper commercial skip. So success.

Kodi EDL commercial skip seems picky. Meaning that if I play a file with EDL and skip around and backup before the start of a commercial, it will not skip the upcoming commercial when it gets to it. Mythfrontend will always skip the commercial no matter what you do about backing up and skipping forward.

Any advice about properly using the commercial skip in Kodi??
Commercial skip is setup up in the mythbackend, with myth-setup. Stop the backend, then run setup. I believe the option to activate commercial flagging is done in the General settings. After you allow the commercial flagging to run (I believe the setting is the screen before you set user jobs, maybe the same screen you can set MythTV's internal transcoder), you then restart your backend.

MythTV's EDL is stored in its database, not as a separate file.
That's interesting. So I know that my file has the EDL because the mythtv frontend will skip the commercials. All the new recordings I've made overnight had the EDL and the commercial skip works in Kodi and mythtv frontend. This appears to be a one off issue, so I'll forget about it.

My latest test was to open a recording in Kodi, clicked yes to the EDL Dialog when it popped up, then skipped 10 minutes into the recording, just before a commercial, then started playing. When it got to the commercial it skip correctly. That's about all I need to do, but I'll keep testing.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Understanding EDL and commercial skip0