Android scapegoat
A couple of disturbing statements were made in another thread:

Quote:what I wanted to say is that from the perspective that we want users to have a good Kodi and media experience, that dropping Android support wouldn't be a bad decision. In addition it would also get rid of the annoying flood of Piracy-Android-Box support questions on the forum which I really can't stand anymore. Now being an Android-Box user myself because of Netflix and Prime, it would ofc be a pitty to loose it. And the misuse done by all the box vendors and sellers that want to make a quick dime with Kodi and piracy add-ons is not the fault of the Android platform in itself, but only Androids "success" as SmartTV replacement (for what reason ever people consider stock Android launchers with bad air-mice remotes as worth buying).

side note: I ofc don't have a cheap ass chinese box with cluncky air-mouse remotes and terrible UI but something decent

And

Quote:also wanted to add, that if I knew now what would happen in porting Kodi for Android, I would have never done the port. I think that port has done more to damage the reputation of Kodi (pirates and parasites) as a whole than any other action.

I'm on a phone and using cut and paste, but the first one comes from da-and a and the second comes from MrMC/Davilla.

To reply to this:

That's absurd. I don't mean any disrespect, but you two know better than this. You guys were there when these things happened.

Before Android, the Apple TV 2 was the "fully loaded" king of eBay. Even older devices like the ATV1 and older miniPCs were starting the eBay flood. If Android never came to be, and the ATV2 still died off, cheap x86 hardware (some as low as $60 for new hardware) is currently filling the market. Plus, we still have the Raspberry Pi line.

Cheap hardware was only part of the equation. File locker sites like MegaUpload had exploded as a way to pirate movies and shows independently of XBMC/Kodi. They got shut down, but even more sites filled their place. Pirate/bootleg add-ons had always existed, but only in small numbers, until this wealth of content showed up.

At the same time, add-ons that were using such sites were banned from the XBMC/Kodi websites. This was a good thing, but this created a bunch of little splinter groups, many of which thought it was a good idea to actively promote XBMC/Kodi as a way to get free content. No one was there to discourage that, but it might not have made a difference. There is big money to be made with the high web traffic that those sites get.

Many factors played a part in the piracy explosion (it has always been an issue, but just in a smaller scale). It's foolish to think that Android caused it, or not porting/dropping it would have stopped it. Kodi has a great interface with a flexible Python add-on system, and even pirates like nice things. A damn good program was made, and when we start thinking of ways to nerf it to "fight piracy" then we become no better than an industry that likes to block mkv files and use DRM. It does nothing to fix the problem and just punishes the legitimate users.
And I only post this because I would hate to think that this "let's drop android" idea is catching momentum.
I hope this idea does not gain traction. It's unfortunate how the kodi image is portrayed. It's a new year and the same old fight. Hopefully the foundation can work something out to distance themselves from this image that these cheap Chinese manufacturers are fostering.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Was there... I was involved in making it happen Smile

Seriously, that is not an offhand comment. I've thought long and hard about Android and the more I am convinced that it is nothing more than a platform that is ripe for parasites and thieves to make a quick buck off the hard work of others. It seems to happen over and over again and NOT just with Kodi. Something becomes popular and in flood the opportunists.

The unfortunate side effect of this is has been the tarnishing of the Kodi brand. Just look to Amazon Store attempt, ponk and out with no recourse. I warned of this long ago and suggested those that abuse the branding get stomped on hard and fast. But nooooo, a more passive approach was taken and now pop, there goes the genie out of the bottle, never to get put back in.

It would be seriously funny if it was not so damaging. Why even Pivos had Geniatech grab up the compiled Pivos android app (Pivos branding and all) and try to include it with their hardware without even as much as a thought. Pivos put a stop to it and soon after dropped Geniatech as a hw source.

Rebrand and take responsibility for it, fine. Take it without asking and shove the responsibility off to others , not fine. This happens over and over and I see no signs of any sort of it ending. I'm not saying other platforms do not suffer from this but seems specially rampant in Android.

So I look back and think, 'who in their right mind started this mess...' oh wait.. it was me. Then I wonder if it was the right thing to do.
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
I suppose Alfred Nobel thought the same.
@MrMC

I can respect that. I'm just not convinced it would have actually changed anything for Kodi. Maybe it would have delayed it, but cheaper hardware would have come.

I do agree that not enough is done to protect the Kodi brand, but I was always under the impression this was because no one knew what to do, rather than a passive approach being specifically chosen? When I was on the team I would ask what we could do, or if certain things could be asked of the lawyer, and would never hear anything back. It seemed like the board tried to do it all themselves, which basically meant one or two people handling all of that. Maybe there wasn't anything to be said/reported on, but it felt like there wasn't a lot of communication in that area. (not meant as a criticism, just an observation)
I agree with @ned Scott , dropping Android support wouldn`t do a damn thing for piracy, cheap x86 and ARM-not-running-Android hardware already exists, you`ll just change "BUY MY MSXII SuperMega QuadCore Genisis Icewhatevercrap" box with "BUY MY QuadCore ChromeBox QuadCore Genisis Icewhatevercrap" . A friend of mine is using a raspberry pi 2 "fully loaded" to pirate (and bugs me every time something doesn`t work, like i have time for his crap), you can do it in every platform available. When HTPC hardware used to cost 400-500$ for a custom build, there were less pirates because of the cost of the hardware, but now you have cheap x86 and non-Android ARM hardware that can be used by parasites to make a quick buck, so it won`t solve much.

The only way to eliminate this is to drop Python and the Addons completely , but that means dropping the hard work of dozens of devs and hundreds of (non-parasites) Python coders, also limiting Kodi to local playback (which is what i use it for anyway, but that`s just my personal usage).

Also, the best ARM box to buy right now is the SHIELD, which is Android TV, dropping support on something like that would be foolish, since i`m sure Nvidia will probably launch a successor to it this year. And probably more Android TV STBs will pop up this year, and probably TVs from Sony and Vizio

PS: Funny thing, even Chrome auto-complete is sick of these parasites, i get suggestions for "Piracy Crapware" when entering text in the submit report text field, lol.
run two different windows boxes for projector and 4k tv
4k tv shares time with a shield and the bedroom has a cetek core
nice thing on the android side is having netflix baked in..
would have liked to see the hd audio baked into android, but i can wait
having a great skin (aeon mq for me) and a great front-end (kodi) has kept me happy for many years
but the in-fighting with kodi and the nonsense with aeon mq and charging for preview release of a skin have me thinking of looking elsewhere
already a plex pass member and an emby premium or whatever it is that i bought member [hey, kodi, i'd buy the same thing from you even though i don't donate anymore]
every year or so i look at emby and plex and they still aren't up to snuff. perhaps time to begin that journey again
the forum has cranky team-kodi members who tend to drive away more users than attract
i don't know, i want you guys to succeed but i've given up donating or recommending anyone to use kodi
(2016-01-07, 00:59)iHateMemphiz Wrote: run two different windows boxes for projector and 4k tv
having a great skin (aeon mq for me) and a great front-end (kodi) has kept me happy for many years
but the in-fighting with kodi and the nonsense with aeon mq and charging for preview release of a skin have me thinking of looking elsewhere
already a plex pass member and an emby premium or whatever it is that i bought member [hey, kodi, i'd buy the same thing from you even though i don't donate anymore]
every year or so i look at emby and plex and they still aren't up to snuff. perhaps time to begin that journey again
the forum has cranky team-kodi members who tend to drive away more users than attract
i don't know, i want you guys to succeed but i've given up donating or recommending anyone to use kodi

This isn't a continuation of the other "vent" threads. I don't see what any of this has to do with Android being seen as the piracy scapegoat.
(2016-01-07, 00:59)iHateMemphiz Wrote: run two different windows boxes for projector and 4k tv

a) I don`t see what`s the problem with charging money for your work, Plex does it, you pay for it, i don`t see you complaining about about that one. + he`s also charging only for the preview, the final stable version is still free anyway.

b) I`d be cranky too at the amount of nagging and stupid feature requests that you see around here . "Hey guys, can you please support Chromecast?" " No, it`s not technically possible " , " But noo, you support Chromecast or else i tell mommy, me want Chromecast support, me want, me want, me want, me cry" . And that`s just an example.
@ned Scott - well, yes, piracy boxes existed before, but not in this scale. ATVs had to be hacked in order to run Kodi whereas on Android it's just installing the APK. Also, Android has way more to offer for end users via their massive app store than any other platform out there, which is also why it has a better unique selling point and will be bought by more users.

I don't blame Android alone for the massive piracy-box flood, as like you mentioned the piracy groups also played a big role in that, but I doubt that PIs or other Platforms would be sold in these masses.
(2016-01-07, 12:45)da-anda Wrote: I don't blame Android alone for the massive piracy-box flood, as like you mentioned the piracy groups also played a big role in that, but I doubt that PIs or other Platforms would be sold in these masses.

PI's are already sold like this. Just look at all the retro boxes out there with even custom made cases to look like an old gaming machine. They are sold smack full of old games with emu's.
And they would make just the same types of boxes with kodi and piracy addons if you remove android as a platform. And people buy them.
While Android has allowed the setting up of the fully loaded boxes to be ridiculous easy, I'm with Ned and think the explosion would still have happened with devices based on RPi and it's like. The type of people these fully loaded boxes are marketed at are not going to be paying for Netflix or Amazon Prime, so I doubt they use many apps outside of Kodi so the Android ecosystem probably offers the end user little advantage.

The main cause for the explosion for piracy streaming in my view is the big increase in broadband speeds that allows for better video streaming, this can easily be seen in the UK where widespread broadband speeds have gone from 2MB download to 85MB download speed in the space of 5 years, this probably accounts for why the UK is such a big market for fully loaded boxes. Even if Android did not exist, I would expect there would still be a glut of fully loaded boxes to cater for the demand for free video streaming.
well, explosion still might have happened, but at a smaller scale IMO. I still see Android as a selling point, regardless of Netflix etc (browser, casual games, ...)
This is not a battle Kodi should take on, this whole 'piracy' effort is the making of Hollywood and their greed. Android has brought enjoyment to the favelas and slums in 3rd world countries, and brought enlightenment to those who never knew. The internet is to blame, so let's point the finger at the source of the issue and not go back to those capitalistic times, when dictatorships kept everyone in their place with bullsh*t propaganda and threats. You can't put the gene back in the bottle that is the internet.

The arguments seem to smack of the gun lobby, it's not the guns that kill but the users.

I'm supportive of Ned's view, but I do see the crush of Android as a vehicle of 'streaming piracy', and contrary to popular belief, it looks like the sources are drying up faster than they are created. I don't think it will be long before all these boxes are relegated to the closet, and smart TV's with built in Android media players take up the slack and the door closes on 'streaming piracy', and a diaster averted.

I don't see Hollywood starving, I do see Kodi developers starving, might be time for a small registration fee?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Android scapegoat0