It has been a while since a full Retrospect update was released (March 8th to be exact). And although quite a some time has passed, not too much has changed for Retrospect. However, there are 3 changes that are worth mentioning:
- Secure log-in for channels: more and more sites/channels require a user to log in. Some Kodi add-on have features that allow a user to do this, however, not all add-ons store the username and password securely. From version 4.1.2 Retrospect can handle the login of channels and stores the user credentials in a secure vault. What basically happens is that we use a simple PIN in combination with scrypt to generate a strong password that is used to encrypt private data. The PIN is then needed to store data in the vault, or to retrieve it.
In most log-in cases this is only needed once to log in and obtain a secure session cookie which is stored. This cookie is then used until it expires. For example: for the vier.be channel, that is once every 6 months. The PIN is not cached so every time Retrospect needs to access the vault, it will prompt for it.
- The way Retrospect caches the available channels has changed and simplified. A single file Channel Index is now generated if it does not exists. This index works as a ‘map‘ for future Retrospect runs. This way we save the building of the index on runtime (as it was before) and it should improve speed on low end system. If for some reason Retrospect does not start after updating, please delete all but the settings.xml from the userdata\addon_data\net.rieter.xot\ folder.
- Krypton compatibility: with the new VideoPlayer within Kodi Krypton a lot changed for HTTP streaming. Especially the way information such as proxy, headers and cookies are passed from Add-ons to ffmpeg. Both Retrospect and Kodi had to undergo some more changes to make it all work again. It took some time but together with Kodi devs MartijnKaijser and FernetMenta (thanks again!) we managed to get it all back to work again, in a much nicer way.
Note on Kodi Krypton
Kodi Krypton has some focus on security related to third party add-ons and repositories. To make users more aware of this, within Kodi Krypton all non-official repositories and add-ons are disabled by default and need to be re-enabled by the user. That way a user gets aware of what add-ons are not Kodi official and where the add-ons are coming from. As you are (or should be) aware of, Retrospect is such a third party add-on that uses its own repository. Therefore you will need to re-enable the Retrospect Repository and Retrospect itself. As a reminder:
!! Retrospect should only be installed from the official Retrospect repository !!
Please read the installation instructions
Please read the installation instructions
The only official and safe way of installing Retrospect is via the official repository using the official installation instructions. if installed from other locations, we cannot guarantee the quality or safety of the code of the add-on. In other words: code might have been injected if you download it via alternative sources.
Retrospect v4.1.2 – Changelog – 2016-09-24
- Fixed: HTTP headers were not properly set from MediaItem value (regression from login changes)
- Added: new Krypton proxy suport
- Removed: video limitations such as GEO lock from Kodi item’s Tagline field
- Added: an option ’10’ for items to group folders (Fixes #748)
- Added: WebVTT subtitle format (See #745 )
- Added: named data parsers
- Changed: Live folder items will not use cache.
- Changed: Allow JsonData from pre-processors. The pre-processors need to make sure they can handle string or JsonHelper types.
- Changed: Allow dataparsers to return lists
- Updated: all sites that used cookies, now use the UriHandler
- Fixed: concurrency issue with add-on settings update via GUI and python code
- Added: Per channel bitrate setting
- Fixed: detect different versions in index and add-on
- Updated: clean up of the channel importer
- Fixed: Make sure we handle corrupt indexes
- Added: Channel version and ID to statistics
- Added: Channel version to ChannelInfo and Channel classes
- Fixed: don’t show FirstTimeMessage logging if there was not even a first time message
- Changed: ChannelIndexer version 2.0
- Fixed: max int issue in BrightCove streamer (See #723)
- Added: Make it possible to replace parts in subtitles files
- Added: Option in the Add-on settings to sort folders and videos alike (only if sort method is Label in Kodi) (See #719)
- Updated: PyAMF to version 0.8.0 to prevent conflicts (Fixes #720)
- Removed: sorting preferences within Retrospect. We rely on Kodi now
- Added: also show a warning on paid/premium items, not just the DRM ones.
- Changed: EncodingHelper.DecodeBase64 is static now
- Updated: PyAes to the latest version
- Changed: remove username/password from the standard chn_class
- Fixed: in some cases the Vault with invalid PIN could result in an encoding error
- Added: an option to reset the vault
- Updated: vault now uses N=128 for scrypt instead of 8 (Requires a reset of the Vault!)
- Added: Pop-Up for missing username/password
- Updated: Vault translations
- Added: Secure Vault for passwords
- Changed: Allow external access to Add-on settings
- Updated: translation for vault labels
- Added: yes/no dialog box
- Updated: language options in Retrospect addon.xml
- Updated: Swedish Vault translations
- Fixed: Disable Busy Dialog on keyboard open
- Added: Finish Language (Fixes #735)
- Fixed: provide Kodi the textured path to the special://profile/addon_data/net.rieter.xot/textures path, to make it work with shared databases (Fixes #724)
- Updated: Swedish translations (thanks to Göran)
- Fixed: Eén updated their site (Fixes #762)
- Fixed: SVT changed API location (Fixes #757)
- Fixed: NPO update broke paging (Fixes #756)
- Fixed: Live TV channels and some video items for NPO did not show (Fixes #756)
- Fixed: ViaFree Search will move to ‘Titles with other chars’ when enable ‘Group list if exceeds # of folders’ (Fixes #753)
- Fixed: NRK live channels broke due to stream location change (Fixes #752)
- Fixed: AVT.sr Live Stream Fixed: Kanal 5 ‘recent’ videos did not work
- Fixed: SVT special folders did not work
- Fixed: Not all kijk.nl shows were displayed
- Fixed: MTG update their sites to a new standard and broke the Swedish and Norwegian channels (See #750)
- Added: URPlay Kategorier (Fixes #749)
- Updated: a bit more logging to TV4Play.se
- Added: TV4 an re-authenticate which is faster
- Added: TV4 Play login and Favourites (no premium yet) (See #450)
- Fixed: Canvas updated their site (Fixes #747)
- Added: WebVTT subtitle to TV4Play.se (See #745 )
- Fixed: UR Play broke (Fixes #743)
- Added: SVT Play *live* indicator to videos that are live at the moment (Fixes #741)
- Added: SVT Play now shows sXXeXX if Season and Episode data is present
- Fixed: RTBF live streams broke due to HLS switch (Fixes #742)
- Fixed: De Redactie did not retrieve media url
- Fixed: SVT Play updated their site (Fixes #738, Fixes #740)
- Fixed: Sporza broken (Fixes #739)
- Updated: SVT Play
- Fixed: NPO genres broke
- Fixed: Kijk.nl removed their descriptions, which broke the channels (Fixes #737)
- Fixed: Vier.be now uses the vault to get the password to sign in to the website (Fixes #736)
- Fixed: clips of Kijk.nl would not play
- Fixed: Filter out the audio only streams for Vier.be (See #674)
- Fixed: Categories in TV4Play only showed the first 25 items (Fixes #732)
- Updated: Vier.be are all GEO locked items
- Updated: Changelog for RTBF.be and Vier.be
- Added: RTBF.be (Fixes #725)
- Added: Vier.be (Fixes #674)
- Added: Langfilm i SVT (Fixes #730)
- Fixed: TV4 would not play streams (Fixes #726)
- Fixed: most videos of Kijk.nl (SBS6/NET5/SBS9/Veronica) did not play (Fixes #723)
- Added: SVT now supports colours in their subtitles (Fixes #721)
- Fixed: Eén stream selection issue
- Fixed: SVT is moving to a JSON embed data set which is breaking the SVT channel every now and then
- Fixed: paging broke for SVT listings (Fixes #719)
- Fixed: RTL added a user-agent check and returns a “418 I’m a teapot” error
- Fixed: Show videos in the category lists (Fixes #718)
- Updated: added more modes to the NPO Stream helper
- Fixed: SVT updated their main show listing (Fixes #715)
- Fixed: some Kijk.nl (SBS6/NET5/SBS9/Veronica) shows had some missing episodes (Fixes #716).
- Updated: added SetInfoLabel to 24 Classic
- Added: 24classics.com (Fixes #714)
If you encounter any issues, please let me know using the Issue List on the BitBucket page of Retrospect (https://bitbucket.org/basrieter/xbmc-online-tv/issues). Please attach a complete logfile (retrospect.log).
The new version can be downloaded from the XOT site: http://www.rieter.net/content/xot/downloads/.
Thanks to the owner of hamans.com for giving me free bandwidth and jetbrains for providing me with a license to PyCharm Community Edition.
-=== Older Changelogs ===-
More Changelogs can be found at http://www.rieter.net/content/category/xot/changelog/