Latest suggestions for archiving a personal movie collection
Just wanted to check what the latest view is on this?

I'm someone that wants to archive their personal movie collection which is a mix of mainstream DVDs & BluRays. I'm not worried by the amount of hard drive space required and so don't want to convert to different formats only to find a few years down the line I've lost something.

Playback needs to be reliable and offer the best sound/picture quality relevant to the AV capabilities of the viewing location the main one being a 4K 3D TV with a 7.1 AVR. It also needs to have a high WAF in terms of usability and Kodi seems fit in this regard.

On the face of it, it should be so simple as that's what any BluRay player offers. After a number of years I know this is simply not the case.

My current, some what old back-end is a WHS on an end-to-end hardwired Gb LAN with MyMovies.dk being used to rip DVDs to Video_TS folder structure and BluRays to .ISOs. Shares are offered both as SMB and NFS. At the time I thought this was the best 1for1 archiving method but that might have changed?

Playback platforms have been Windows Media centre, dropped for XBMC/Kodi on PC and other media boxes. Not one offers the reliabilty of a physical BluRay player dispite the content been off the shelf titles. The current box I'm playing with is a HiMedia Q5.

TIA
I personally use MakeMKV and rip my Blu Rays to mkv , only the main movie with the subtitles and audiotracks i need, don`t need the extra features on the disk so ISO is just a waste of space for me. No compression, obviously (not that MakeMKV can compress anything, anyway).
(2016-01-07, 15:30)garym999 Wrote: My current, some what old back-end is a WHS on an end-to-end hardwired Gb LAN with MyMovies.dk being used to rip DVDs to Video_TS folder structure and BluRays to .ISOs. Shares are offered both as SMB and NFS. At the time I thought this was the best 1for1 archiving method but that might have changed?

If you want exact copies of your discs, that's still the way to go. Massive file sizes but if you want the disc experience without the disc that's what you have to do.

Most people don't care about the extras on the disc and just want the movie backed up, and that's where MakeMKV is going to excel. It will strip away all the fluff and leave you with a bit-perfect copy of the actual movie only. The quality of the .MKV file it produces matches the disc quality and Matroska video encoding isn't going anywhere - you don't have to worry about it disappearing any time soon.

MKV files are also going to be infinitely more playable on all devices. Finding players that can handle an ISO file or a Video_TS folder are few and far between. Between the file sizes and the player incompatibility, going with ISO rips is the much more difficult option but if you're a perfectionist who needs the menus and extras and won't accept even a minute loss in quality it's the way you have to go.
This link may be of some use.
Thanks guys for your comments so far.

What I like about mymovies is that 9x out 10 I just walk up to the server stick the disc in a walk away. Once its spat out I have the movie catalogued and ripped with no further action required. So I can spend my time watching the movie rather than fiddling with PCs.

Other solutions seem to need a lot more hand holding and certainly don't want to be doing transcoding.

Having said that I am willing to effectively look at archiving the movie only as I don't need the titles, directors comments etc. what was it?... Fluff. So I will take a look at MKVs. It is an option in the Disc Copier for mymovies.dk to convert to MKV but only after it has copied the movie so I guess that will increase the copy time.
(2016-01-07, 19:29)garym999 Wrote: Thanks guys for your comments so far.

What I like about mymovies is that 9x out 10 I just walk up to the server stick the disc in a walk away. Once its spat out I have the movie catalogued and ripped with no further action required. So I can spend my time watching the movie rather than fiddling with PCs.

Other solutions seem to need a lot more hand holding and certainly don't want to be doing transcoding.

Having said that I am willing to effectively look at archiving the movie only as I don't need the titles, directors comments etc. what was it?... Fluff. So I will take a look at MKVs. It is an option in the Disc Copier for mymovies.dk to convert to MKV but only after it has copied the movie so I guess that will increase the copy time.

http://kb.mymovies.dk/KnowledgebaseArticle50086.aspx

Here, this might help you regarding MyMovies and MKV. MakeMKV doesn`t do transcoding either. Handbrake does for example.
Soulbind, obviously been looking in the wrong section of the mymovies site cos I have been on there ages looking for just this sort of info. Cheers

Do you know if using this method I still need AnyDVD or is it handled inside the MKVToolNix suite that underpins mymovies
(2016-01-07, 20:10)garym999 Wrote: Soulbind, obviously been looking in the wrong section of the mymovies site cos I have been on there ages looking for just this sort of info. Cheers

Do you know if using this method I still need AnyDVD or is it handled inside the MKVToolNix suite that underpins mymovies

No problem. As far as i know, AnyDVD is required to strip off DRM protection from Blu Ray disks, so it`s a safe bet that it`s still needed. MKVToolNix is only a remuxing software, all it does is take the ripped streams and puts them inside an MKV container. So yeah, AnyDVD is still required probably.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Latest suggestions for archiving a personal movie collection0