Cannot watch recorded TV or live TV
Hey guys, I know you hear this alot, because I have read a lot of the same issues, but I have just setup my first Kodi / serverwmc setup, but I am unable to watch any liveTV or recorded TV on any remote devices.

I spent about 2 hours last night fighting with folder permissions, and I think I finally got them correct. I think this because I stopped getting the big error that says the folder is not shared. However I am still not able to get recorded tv or live tv to work. It works fine on the local box, just not on any remote devices.

For testing I loaded up the Kodi app on my Android phone, that way I could be sitting in front of my local machine while I tested on my phone. I tried about 20 different ways of sharing the recorded tv folder, but could never get it to work correctly.

One thing that may be important, I am on a windows domain. However I tested all the smb paths with 'es file explorer' on my phone and confirmed that they work.

I have put the log file below.

http://pastebin.com/PSnfxDZf

Things I noticed in the log file

The below is mentioning my server folder where all recorded tv gets moved after it is done recording. I put in a domain username and password in the folders tab, but it does not seem to use it for watched folders, only the recorded tv folder. Why is that?
Quote:2016/01/06 22:28:19.203 '\\192.168.0.104\Recorded TV' ShareStatus: Warning, Folder is not shared with everybody or homegroup.

does not seem to be using the smb user and pass when accessing "Additional watched 'Recorded TV' folders"
Quote:2016/01/06 22:28:19.109 > Samba: smb://mclaughlin;ryan:************@192.168.0.106/prt
2016/01/06 22:28:19.187 > UNC: \\192.168.0.106\prt, ShareStatus: OK
2016/01/06 22:28:19.187 -----
2016/01/06 22:28:19.187 Additional watched 'Recorded TV' folders:
2016/01/06 22:28:19.203 '\\192.168.0.104\Recorded TV' ShareStatus: Warning, Folder is not shared with everybody or homegroup.

I tried accessing both the direct share and the public folders share
Quote:2016/01/06 22:28:19.109 > Samba: smb://mclaughlin;ryan:************@192.168.0.106/prt
2016/01/06 22:28:19.187 > UNC: \\192.168.0.106\prt, ShareStatus: OK

2016/01/06 22:31:41.635 > Samba: smb://ryan:************@192.168.0.106/Users/Public/Recorded TV
2016/01/06 22:31:41.695 > UNC: \\192.168.0.106\Users\Public\Recorded TV, ShareStatus: OK
Here are come screen shots of the message I get from kodi, and how I have the share setup.

This first image shows the message I get when I enable tv in kodi

This image shows how I am able to share just the recorded tv folder

You can see here that I have given both read and write to everyone

I also enabled printer and file sharing, and sharing of the public folders

here is where I run into problems, if I try and share using this screen it gives me the error you see in the next image.

After doing all this i settled on just using the public folders 192.168.0.106/Users/Public/Recorded TV, but again it just does not want to work.
Sorry your having so much trouble. The fact that you don't see the smb stuff in the folder sharing check in the swmc log is because swmc can't check permissions using smb, it can only do the sharing check using unc paths, so it is just showing the unc path. We have to rely that the user gets their login correct to enable smb for remote clients - we don't have a way of checking it.

The recorded tv folder that wmc uses is set to:
C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV

I don't know why you are getting that sharing error either. Instead of doing what you are doing, have you tried just sharing this folder the simple way, right click on this Recorded TV folder and choose properties, then 'Sharing' then hit 'Share...' button.
In the window that pops up give 'everybody' read permissions. Do you get an error if you do it this way?

Assuming you don't get an error there. Then go into serverwmc's 'Folders' tab and enter the unc path to this folder, which should be:
\\192.168.0.106\Users\Public\Recorded TV

save this there. If no errors, then restart your remote kodi client.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
(2016-01-07, 22:35)krustyreturns Wrote: Instead of doing what you are doing, have you tried just sharing this folder the simple way, right click on this Recorded TV folder and choose properties, then 'Sharing' then hit 'Share...' button.
In the window that pops up give 'everybody' read permissions. Do you get an error if you do it this way?

When I do that I get the error on the last picture "Your folder cannot be shared"

That is why I tried the other sharing methods. I wonder if it has to do with my computer being on a domain? As I said before I checked all the smb paths with username and password with "es file explorer" to confirm that they are correct.
If you checked it with that tool from your android client, then doesn't it mean the folders really are shared? Even though windows is saying its not? What version of windows are you running?
(2016-01-07, 22:58)krustyreturns Wrote: If you checked it with that tool from your android client, then doesn't it mean the folders really are shared? Even though windows is saying its not?

Yes, that is why I am confused about why kodi is not working correctly.

(2016-01-07, 22:58)krustyreturns Wrote: What version of windows are you running?

Its in the logs Wink

Quote:2016/01/06 22:28:04.727 OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 32-bit
Can you successfully add the SMB share as a video network source within Kodi? Doesn't help the ServerWMC situation, but it is another layer of testing.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_video_sourc...te_sources
Yeah, Tony's idea is a good one. Your logs don't show any attempt at opening a live stream from your client. Please try that and post the log again.
I am able to add both directories as normal file directories under the video section and I can play the recorded tv after they are added. However I still cannot play recorded tv through the TV section.

Here is the new logs http://pastebin.com/TxAfriSe
Before I forget again, please turn off the remux of all recordings, there is really no good reason to run this way.

You are right that the stream is not playing because it cannot access the rec tv folder. Hoever everything I can see in the log looks fine. The only thing that I can think of is that the login credentials you entered into serverwmc are not correct, or possibly contain an illegal character in the password. Have you looked at that?
I was able to add the recorded tv folder as a normal library in kodi using the same user and password.

what is an illegal character? It contains only numbers, letters and an @
Try changing the @ to %40 or possibly %60 I can't remember for sure.
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
Yeah - this one just bit me in the butt, and I had to really search the logs. My password contains @ - so if you look in the logs you'll see something like this:

INFO: SMBFile->Open: Unable to open file : 'smb://USERTongueASSWORD@nce%40PHOTON/Recorded%20TV/Globe%20Trekker_WHRO_2016_01_21_21_58_00.wtv'

@ is an escape character and blows up the connect string. Sigh. Now we know.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cannot watch recorded TV or live TV0