Background IMDB scan
Question 
Would it be possible to scan selected folders on IMDB in the background? I did a search but could not find any similar Feature Suggestions.

For example whilst playing a >30 min video or in screen saver mode, scan the IMDB information of a few pre-selected folders' files. It would be nice if the scanning was not alphabetic and used low resources.

Obviously this would be a feature disabled by default, and only enabled this option/the folders in a configuration file. I definitely would have it enabled!

It would be cool after setting up XBMC and playing the first film all the way through, it would come back to a screen with all the films' information nicely scanned.

Thanks for taking the time.
I doubt it only because xbox can't multitask. To me, that would seem like exactly that since one thing would be allowing xbmc to do whatever, while another thread would be grabbing info. That's problem the same reason it's not possible to download anything (AMT,mc360 content, movie info, weather info, etc.) while doing something else. It starts, and you can't do anything til it's finished. I could be wrong though. But i really believe that is correct.
I don't think its totally out of the realm of possibility, You can currently browse in XBMC whilst something is playing (using display on the remote).

Maybe a Developer could clear this up for certain?
its certainly possible.
spiff Wrote:its certainly possible.

Cool, is anyone of the Devs willing to implement it?

if not any pointers (no pun int lol) on where/how I could "hack" it in the source?

cheers Spiff
you'd create a new dialog, pretty much like the music one.
If that's possible, that would be a really nice function to add. Specially background series/episode info grabbing. No expectations here though of course. Just happy you added that as it is. But after it's perfected, maybe in the future to add something like that. That would be pretty nice.
I second this feature. Because of the time involved in scanning my movies on IMDB and not having the ability to do something else while doing so, I just leave my Xbox and come back later.
added to svn
spiff, you rock! can't wait to see this in action - or rather not see it hehe
On this line, would it then be possible to set a toggle in options to have it automatically in the background grab the IMDB (or other source) information for files that don't have it upon playing them?
will this work for tv shows? I love the library but find it a chore to scan shows in as I add them.
spiff Wrote:added to svn

Thanks a bunch for adding that!!! Sweet!! Would it be added more along the lines of a choice in the menu items when using 'white' button dialog, like "Scan items In Background" or something like that?
Seems more like it would be more appropriate as a setting under "Enable Internet Lookups" true/false. If true open option to scan in background. If you have the internet disabled its hardly worth messing with.

**Im not looking at my xbox when typing this
no option. yes tvshows (why would it not applyHuh)

as for automatic scanning, man that's impolite. atleast give the time for a freaking coffee break before you start screaming more more more

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Background IMDB scan0