• 73(current)
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
It wouldn't. My receivers don't have HDMI input. And the optical-out from tv's is next to useless for kodi in my (admittedly limited) experience. If I want optical-out I use a device that has it as standard or use a HDMI splitter - which, as I said, is a good (but not free) solution.
(2017-03-25, 17:59)trogggy Wrote: It wouldn't. My receivers don't have HDMI input. And the optical-out from tv's is next to useless for kodi in my (admittedly limited) experience. If I want optical-out I use a device that has it as standard or use a HDMI splitter - which, as I said, is a good (but not free) solution.

My AVR only has optical, too.

bob
(2017-03-25, 17:59)trogggy Wrote: It wouldn't. My receivers don't have HDMI input. And the optical-out from tv's is next to useless for kodi in my (admittedly limited) experience. If I want optical-out I use a device that has it as standard or use a HDMI splitter - which, as I said, is a good (but not free) solution.
whats wrong with optical from tv to receiver / soundbar / speaker with optical in? and all devices connected via hdmi to tv direct? so whatever input source is selected on tv, its audio is output via optical. am i missing something here? could always add a cheap optical to rca dac if u wanted to clean up the sound?
(2017-03-25, 18:18)chaosengine Wrote:
whats wrong with optical from tv to receiver / soundbar / speaker with optical in? and all devices connected via hdmi to tv direct? so whatever input source is selected on tv, its audio is output via optical. am i missing something here? could always add a cheap optical to rca dac if u wanted to clean up the sound?
Have you ever tried to use optical out from a telly? In my experience you'll usually only get stereo if the source is HDMI.
DRM is the killer.
(2017-03-25, 18:37)trogggy Wrote:
(2017-03-25, 18:18)chaosengine Wrote:
Have you ever tried to use optical out from a telly? In my experience you'll usually only get stereo if the source is HDMI.
DRM is the killer.

tbh no ive never tried it optical out from tv direct. ok i gettcha. Seems the little fiio dac I found is PCM audio only too. (2.1) I thought optical out from tv would just pass the whole digital signal. obviously its PCM.
If you go through the settings in the TV, sometimes they have a audio passthrough option. Also, if optical is enough, an audio extractor works well in one of my setups.
(2017-03-25, 19:09)albertstroh77 Wrote: If you go through the settings in the TV, sometimes they have a audio passthrough option. Also, if optical is enough, an audio extractor works well in one of my setups.
When I wrote 'splitter' I actually meant 'audio extractor' - probably not very clear. I've never seen the passthrough option for HDMI inputs - only looked on half a dozen or so tv's, but googling suggested that was pretty much just how it is. Happy to be corrected though.
(2017-03-25, 19:09)albertstroh77 Wrote: If you go through the settings in the TV, sometimes they have a audio passthrough option. Also, if optical is enough, an audio extractor works well in one of my setups.
I don't have an Optical AVR, but my 4K TV definitely has a RAW Audio Passthrough option in its settings.

Safest bet as a few have suggested is a HDMI audio extractor that will universally work with everything.

A USB sound card with optical or coax spdif out is also an option.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I'm using a very nice dac through usb with my s905x and I'm happy with it's sound. Linear power supply didn't hurt either. Very happy with these little boxes.
Please name the Make and Model DAC. Because its pretty rare to get one that actually works with the old v3.14 Linux Kernel that AMLogic S905(x) boxes use. ?

I'm using a Parasound zdac v.2. The others are DIY types that also rock. So far, everything I've tried has worked. What models did you try that didn't work? Mine all are using the standard asynchronous usb dac driverless connection. I have two of the same boxes, one in LibreElec and one with Android. The DAC works with either OS, LibreElec 7 or 8.

The mini SPDIF plug, however, is another story. I've never got any sound from the digital audio plug. Linux or Android. I've tried three different cords that are known to work with my other devices. I haven't put too much effort into it yet, but so far nothing. Any one have any pointers?
(2017-03-27, 19:08)albertstroh77 Wrote: I'm using a Parasound zdac v.2. The others are DIY types that also rock. So far, everything I've tried has worked. What models did you try that didn't work? Mine all are using the standard asynchronous usb dac driverless connection. I have two of the same boxes, one in LibreElec and one with Android. The DAC works with either OS, LibreElec 7 or 8.

The mini SPDIF plug, however, is another story. I've never got any sound from the digital audio plug. Linux or Android. I've tried three different cords that are known to work with my other devices. I haven't put too much effort into it yet, but so far nothing. Any one have any pointers?

Mine worked fine, really stiff pushing it onto the regular optical cable tho.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002M...UTF8&psc=1

bob
using TV digital audio out seems like the ideal solution IF it works.
but you should really test if YOUR TV does it properly before relying on it. Mine for example has a "raw" setting, but it doesn't throughput DTS at all and introduces a ginormous delay when throughputting AC3.
HDMI audio extractor it is for me therefore.
(actually for me it is the ideal solution because I have one of the few AVRs that switch HDMI sources but do not take the audio from them, go figure)
I've got one of those. Pretty pointless.
  • 73(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options6