OS X Apple Remote Quits Responding
Hi every body

I bump this thread to know if some of you have fixed the problem, as I have the same problem of Apple Remote quits responding.
Brand new MacMini 2014, El Capitan 10.11.3, Kodi 16.1, 3 USB3 Drives plugged, Monitor on MiniDisplay port
Problem is the same even if I use Candelair / Remote Buddy 1.30
Not sure if I've found a potential solution but I'm testing it. My situation is that Kodi on my Mac Mini would just randomly stop responding to my Harmony Ultimate One remote, even though I know the remote works with other devices, and I know the Mac works by remoting in to it and being able to control Kodi with a mouse and keyboard.

I shut down Kodi and downloaded a free Remote Control Diagnostics app from https://www.iospirit.com/labs/remotecontroldiagnostics/. This app told me XBMCHelper was using the IR port exclusively (as expected, since Kodi lets me launch it from the OS using the remote) but also:

The IR Receiver USB device is used by Google Chrome (PID 11079)
An application is accessing the IR Receiver USB device via an IOUSBDeviceUserClient. Depending on what it is doing, this may keep macOS and applications from receiving Apple® Remote button presses. The application is located at /Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome.​

Sure enough, Chrome was running in the background. I'm not sure why Google Chrome wants to use the IR receiver, but when I shut it down and shut down the XBMCHelper process, then rechecked with the app, I got green diagnostics across the board. I've now restarted Kodi and left Chrome shut down. I'll continue to test this over the next few days and see if I get any more interruptions on my remote.
I only recently updated to high Sierra as that is as high as my Mac mini can go. I am also having an issue with my remote not working in Kodi, but I do not believe this is a Kodi issue.

At first I would reset to get it working again, but now if I cmd tab to system preferences and turn off infrared remote and then turn it back on it works right away.

I have tried the above test but I have never had chrome installed and that is not my issue. There are no conflicts it just seems that it randomly disconnects. I cannot find any pattern to it as it worked to wake the mini after almost 24 hours, watched Kodi for about 20 min, then let it idle/sleep for about 40 min and when I came back I could not wake it with the remote. I woke it with keyboard and remote would not do anything, I had to cmd tab to turn IR off and on in system pref and it was fine again.
I still have this issue as well. Haven't found a workaround other than a reboot of my Mac mini.
I've had this problem for ages, across many versions of Kodi, several OSX versions, and even a different Mac Mini. In my experience, it eventually rights itself, without user intervention. When the Apple Remote is unresponsive, I mutter some impolite words, then either use the iOS app, or more recently the Kodi Dashboard Widget. Neither of these are as convenient as using the Apple Remote, though.
Hello, i have the same problem...

Is it possible to write a script which turns the ir off and instantly back on every minute?

because turning off an back on in the controls panel works without reboot.

Just an idea... (i'm not a programmer)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple Remote Quits Responding0