OS X Apple Remote Quits Responding
Good test.

I am still experimenting. I don't like running third party drivers however candleair does seem to make it better .. It was actually the candleair diagnostics that showed a warning that kodi has an exclusive lock on the remote (there is no warning about itunes or vlc i can remember)

Do you have any usb3 drives connected by the way ?

I have two apple remotes (with fresh batteries) so i know it is not that as both stop at once ..

Does the remote stop working with itunes or vlc for you? (Without kodi in the picture)
(I am yet to test this as it needs a few days without kodi which the family uses and loves!)
Sad 
I am having the same issue and it randomly started happening. I'm running yosemite on my mac mini and using a harmony remote, never did any updates on my mac or to kodi. I set up the remote originally just adding mac mini as my device and as long as xbmc/ kodi was open the remote never had an issue controlling it. I thought the batteries were dead so i changed them, nothing, tried switching the remote to standard/ harmony/ universal and still nothing. I went in and deleted the setting in my harmony and started over and now the usual buttons do random things, or it tries to change volume on the mac and brings up the "mute/ cannot control volume" icon on the screen (since it's going through hdmi).
I can always use my keyboard, but It was just so handy SadSadSad
My remote quit working for the first time since my Feb 3rd post. (2 weeks) The steps I took obviously aren't a cure, but two weeks is better than having to reset every other day.

Edit: it just happened again. Two weeks with no problems, and now the remote has stopped working twice in less than two hours. I'm going to re-do the steps I went through in my post from Feb 3rd.
I am having the same issue, most of the time resetting the remote setting to none and back to harmony in kodi solves the problem. This is in my opinion a new issue in Kodi 16 RC3. It doesn't happen too often, so i can't reproduce it.
How to post a debug log ; MacOS acces the hidden userdata folder ; How to post a question ; How to fix gatekeeper issues
I'm inclined to think it's an OS X issue; Plex users are having similar problems -> https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/186759...ple-remote
(2016-02-18, 19:32)Walt74 Wrote: I am having the same issue, most of the time resetting the remote setting to none and back to harmony in kodi solves the problem. This is in my opinion a new issue in Kodi 16 RC3. It doesn't happen too often, so i can't reproduce it.

I agree - it didn't occur for me with 15.2 and El Cap .. this seems like it is an issue with RC3
I also have this i dont normally use the remote but when it stops it dosent work with itunes either so your not alone.

i take it you mean this remote same as mine

I also running el capitan <-- stupid name imho
Yes, that's the remote I'm using. (I've tried two of them with similar results)
itunes also stops working with the remote (after the remote stops working in kodi) as kodi takes the remote exclusively - hence even when the remote is working in kodi it won't work with itunes - (see earlier in the thread). I suspect if you quit kodi (and perhaps kill xbmchelper) then itunes will work fine (even though kodi wasn't).

Do you both see the same problem with 15.2 ?
I was finally able to solve this problem on Kodi 15.2 or 16.0.

Open terminal:

Code:
sudo su

[Entry password]

Code:
mkdir /Library/Scripts/Kodi;
touch /Library/Scripts/Kodi/IR-Restart.sh;
nano /Library/Scripts/Kodi/IR-Restart.sh;

[Copy, edit USERNAME and paste]

Code:
#!/bin/sh
killall -9 XBMCHelper;
sleep 3;
kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIRController.kext;
kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIRController.kext;
sleep 3;
su USERNAME -c "open -a /Applications/Kodi.app/Contents/Resources/Kodi/tools/darwin/runtime/XBMCHelper --args -x";
exit 0;

[Press CTRL + O to save, CTRL + X to close]

Code:
chmod +x /Library/Scripts/Kodi/IR-Restart.sh;
touch  /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.kodi.fix.IR-Restart.plist;

[Copy and paste]

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Label</key>
    <string>com.kodi.fix.IR-Restart</string>
    <key>ProgramArguments</key>
    <array>
        <string>/bin/sh</string>
        <string>/Library/Scripts/Kodi/IR-Restart.sh</string>
    </array>
    <key>StartInterval</key>
    <integer>600</integer>
    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <true/>
</dict>
</plist>

[Press CTRL + O to save, CTRL + X to close]

Code:
chmod +x /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.kodi.fix.IR-Restart.plist;
launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.kodi.fix.IR-Restart.plist;

For verify LaunchDaemon open /Applications/Console.app and search in All Messages new output similar line from XBMCHelper every 10 mins:
0x0000b302 +[HIDRemote isCandelairInstallationRequiredForRemoteMode:] + 39

Works in El Capitan, but I think script with plist must work in OS X 10.6.2 and higher. Blush
I just had the remote stop working (again).

1) First I used the keyboard to start itunes (with kodi still running) - then tested the remote - it did not work
2) I then quit Kodi and tested itunes again - the remote worked fine.

I think this definitively rules out O/S as the cause ..

Here is the log while it was happening: log

The problem was evident at 19:46:48 then I switched to itunes to test then quit as the log shows. Log shows nothing to my eyes. Likewise system log shows nothing at these times.

EDIT - I will try to get a debug - takes a few days to a week ..

Do I need any other debug than this ?

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <loglevel>2</loglevel> <!-- Change this to "1" to hide the on-screen debug log text -->
    <debug>
        <extralogging>true</extralogging>
        <setextraloglevel>64,2048,32768</setextraloglevel>
        <showloginfo>false</showloginfo> <!-- Change this to "false" to hide the on-screen debug log text -->
    </debug>
</advancedsettings>

I will subsequently test the 10 minute restart provided mrlukin - very impressive looking work
Same problem here. os x 10.9.5, kodi 16.0 Apple remote.

mrlukin solution did NOT work.
Here's a strange development... Last night I installed an OS X update (v.10.11.3) Since then, I get an icon appearing on-screen every few clicks of the remote. It's the same icon that appears when I turn the IR receiver off-and-on in order to temporarily fix the remote issue. It seems like Apple has attempted a rather sloppy fix for this problem.
(2016-02-24, 02:12)StarkRaving Wrote: Here's a strange development... Last night I installed an OS X update (v.10.11.3) Since then, I get an icon appearing on-screen every few clicks of the remote. It's the same icon that appears when I turn the IR receiver off-and-on in order to temporarily fix the remote issue. It seems like Apple has attempted a rather sloppy fix for this problem.

Is the icon you see only with up/down vol or left/right navigation too ? (if the former then this is a known issue which comes and goes - there are many things to try but no one fix).
I'm not sure. The problem seems to have resolved itself after a couple reboots.

Edit: <grumble> The update to OS X 10.11.3 did NOT resolve the problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple Remote Quits Responding0