• 4(current)
Nvidia Shield - Worse image quality
You should get perfect colors with:
kodi v17 and vaapi (*), vdpau(*), X11/GL and also on the RPi2 video wise.

*: The driver, e.g. Xserver can break all that when it "scales" by itself - so take care for the setup.

Edit: That being said: Also AMLogic is a secret here .. as it fully renders by itself and all color conversion, also hevc-10bit is done by this blackbox and somehow ends on the "RGB" framebuffer.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
wesk, are you prepared to try it again with v17 test build? http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk
v17 does not change anything at all in that regard ... it's the same MediaCodec implementation fit into the new videoplayer.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Well, if something has been changed in GLES regarding this AND "mediacodec(surface)" is deselected, v17 might act differently.
@fritsch Has your EGL work implied improprement in the GLES renderer in this regard?
(2016-01-13, 14:13)Koying Wrote: Well, if something has been changed in GLES regarding this AND "mediacodec(surface)" is deselected, v17 might act differently.
@fritsch Has your EGL work implied improprement in the GLES renderer in this regard?

Nope - we only use it for buffer "sharing".
(2016-01-13, 10:49)fritsch Wrote: You should get perfect colors with:
kodi v17 and vaapi (*), vdpau(*), X11/GL and also on the RPi2 video wise.
I tested with Kodi 17 build #0110 and RGB full ouput. Picture viewer showed correct levels, but video player was scaling the levels.

This is an excerpt from one of the articles from Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity and this is similar to what I am seeing on the RPi2 and even on Windows Kodi/MPC-HC/Pot Player.
Quote:With this player, the highest Y value output by the Sony is 232. All values above that have been adjusted down below the WTW mark, and a value that would typically be bright white (235) has been adjusted down to 224, or a very light gray instead of white.

– In addition to passing all this WTW data, the dynamic range of the image has been altered. Take the peak white value of 235. A value of 225 should be a full 10 steps below that, but on the Sony, the 235 renders it as 224, and the 225 comes out at 219. A dynamic range of 10 has been shrunk down to 6. The overall dynamic range we would expect from the Sony has gone from 220 values (16-235) down to 209. That’s a loss of 5% of your dynamic range.

Full article: http://hometheaterhifi.com/technical/tec...roduction/

Looks like I will have to install Linux and do further testing.

(2016-01-13, 13:08)Hiphopopotamus Wrote: wesk, are you prepared to try it again with v17 test build? http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk
I did that this morning. There is no difference.
@wesk05: which player on which hardware on which operation system did you test?

You can easily try one of my OpenELEC images: fritsch.fruehberger.net/openelec - use the v17 nightly and run from usb stick. If you have intel hw that uses Limited Range Passthrough mode by default and gui is also set correctly. Happy testing.

Edit: If you have full range set (via xrandr) and unticked "Use Limited Range". The Player will upscale to 0..255 with 8 bit Dithering. In linux it's always two things:

Driver (xrandr), kodi.
(2016-01-13, 20:22)fritsch Wrote: @wesk05: which player on which hardware on which operation system did you test?
I was referring to tests on RPi2. I have an Intel Haswell HTPC (Windows). I will do further tests with your OpenELEC images on that.
Edit: If the PI is forced to full range / including HDMI out + kodi. The image viewer is showing full range (which the images are (!)). The Video is upscaled to full range as it would make no sense to output 16 as black - cause it would be grey.
(2016-01-13, 20:59)fritsch Wrote: Edit: If the PI is forced to full range / including HDMI out + kodi. The image viewer is showing full range (which the images are (!)). The Video is upscaled to full range as it would make no sense to output 16 as black - cause it would be grey.
Well... it would have made sense if YUV16,128,128 was scaled and mapped to RGB 0,0,0 and YUV 235,128,128 was RGB 255,255,255. Instead of that I am getting RGB 30,30,30 and RGB 218,218,218 resp. So, it looks like there is some error in the conversion/mapping formulas. The dynamic range goes down from 219 to just 188 (assuming there is no BTB or WTW).
I cannot really talk about the PI as I have no clue what is done in firmware and so on. For VAAPI i pretty much exactly know what happens. I'd file a new thread in Raspberry Pi Forum for asking popcornmix how that is currently handled.
(2016-01-12, 21:42)fritsch Wrote: plays perfectly with kodi :-)

But yeah needs a fail safe player ...

Hi I have an unrelated to this thread question... this looks like you have implemented real full screen on the Mac..
Is this true how and are can you do it? nightly etc.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=250121
"Adding real, native, proper Full Screen Mac OS X support."

Or are you just using an external player, and which one in that case?
Or is it just Windowed mode..

(I have both a Mac Mini and the NSTV thats why I read this thread.)

thanks!
That's not a mac screen shot.
Interesting thread, but all the nice discussions stopped?
Do you think there is a Kodi related issue for the colorspace, or a general Android mediacoder problem, or a specific Shield/Nvidia problem, or no problem at all? Smile
General Android mediacodec. There is not much to think about that - use the onboard Android player and see the same issue.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia Shield - Worse image quality1