3D Skin Options/Changes
Hi all,

After recently solving an issue using a Raspberry Pi2 for a 3D home theater set-up, I've had to leave the Pi in 3D mode constantly. With Kodi in constant 3D (sbs) mode there are some noticeable graphical artifacts on the screen. Mainly pixelation. I use a custom version of a skin modded with some personal and specific things so I'm not looking for simply a suggestion of what skin to use as a complete fix but I am looking for info on what might be possible to convert a 2D skin to work with SBS 3D, even if it's still just 2D but without losing picture quality. The 3D playback is perfect, it's just the menu that is a little iffy.

Thanks!
Why would you leave it in 3D mode?

Seriously, developing a 3D skin would be major work, each texture needing a right and left eye, but it could look awesome.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
The Pi is left in 3D mode because between the Pi, receiver and projector there is something that messes everything up each time the Pi tells the projo to change resolutions. The solution is to leave the Pi in constant 3D sbs mode at 1080p 23.98 and all the video plays smooth. 2D video plays as 2D even if the Pi is trying to show it as SBS 3D.. Otherwise you can watch 1 3D movie, then have to reset the Pi. This then KILLS CinemaVision as it changes the resolution for each video played in the sequence.. It's not the "ideal" solution but then again neither is having to use a cheap $35 Pi when there's a 2 grand HTPC sitting there but incapable of displaying 3D.

The default Confluence skin has some 3D element to it. I thought perhaps there are other 3D skins out there. The main question though is what might be possible to add to the existing skin to make it as clear in 3D SBS mode as it is in 2D mode. Right now textures, images and even text become pixelated. It's livable and if that's the worst thing to suffer in order to get 3D playback working as smoothly as we've finally been able to manage it can be acceptable. Just not sure what Kodi does in SBS mode to alter the menus and what can be done to correct it to simple 2D.
I'll look at the skins I have in 3D mode when I get a moment.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Rapier for Kodi Jarvis has 3D depth.
(2016-01-14, 12:26)Gade Wrote: Rapier for Kodi Jarvis has 3D depth.

Interesting to know. Would you have an idea of what's different/added to make it 3D and or what can be adjusted to make the 2D skin look crisp in 3D?
(2016-01-14, 15:31)Dave the Minion Wrote:
(2016-01-14, 12:26)Gade Wrote: Rapier for Kodi Jarvis has 3D depth.

Interesting to know. Would you have an idea of what's different/added to make it 3D and or what can be adjusted to make the 2D skin look crisp in 3D?

Yeah, it all in the <depth></depth> tag.
All depth constants are defined in includes.xml (line 50-64)

You can read about it here.

Also, go to Settings > Appearance > Skin > Stereoscopic 3D Effect Strength to adjust the strength of the 3D. I use 5 and think it's default, but the best setting probably depends on the tv and hardware.
You can adjust the subtitles 3D depth as well in Settings > Videos > Subtitles.
(2016-01-14, 15:58)Gade Wrote: Yeah, it all in the <depth></depth> tag.

Is there a specific setting to make the entire skin flat on the 0 plane? And will that keep the graphics crisp?

(2016-01-14, 15:58)Gade Wrote: Also, go to Settings > Appearance > Skin > Stereoscopic 3D Effect Strength to adjust the strength of the 3D. I use 5 and think it's default, but the best setting probably depends on the tv and hardware.

Are these 3D settings for all 3D playback or specific video formats? Everything I'm using is either HSBS MKV or MVC MKV.
(2016-01-17, 09:34)Dave the Minion Wrote:

Is there a specific setting to make the entire skin flat on the 0 plane? And will that keep the graphics crisp?

I'm not sure. Maybe leaving out the <depth> tags will display the skin flat on depth 0. Else you have to add <depth>0</depth> to all controls (just make one constant in includes.xml).

Setting Stereoscopic 3D Strength in the Settings to 0 disables the 3D effect of the GUI.

The graphics are absolutely crisp in 3D on my setups at all times and formats.

(2016-01-14, 15:58)Gade Wrote: Also, go to Settings > Appearance > Skin > Stereoscopic 3D Effect Strength to adjust the strength of the 3D. I use 5 and think it's default, but the best setting probably depends on the tv and hardware.

Are these 3D settings for all 3D playback or specific video formats? Everything I'm using is either HSBS MKV or MVC MKV.

To my knowledge, the settings affect all 3D formats.
(2016-01-17, 12:43)Gade Wrote:

I'm not sure. Maybe leaving out the <depth> tags will display the skin flat on depth 0. Else you have to add <depth>0</depth> to all controls (just make one constant in includes.xml).

Setting Stereoscopic 3D Strength in the Settings to 0 disables the 3D effect of the GUI.

The graphics are absolutely crisp in 3D on my setups at all times and formats.

To my knowledge, the settings affect all 3D formats.

OK I am slightly confused. Setting the 3D settings to 0 with make the GUI flat and crisp, but will that also make 3D playback flat as well?

Right now there are no controls for 3D in the includes.xml file. I can try adding them with a value of 0 to see what that does. Just unsure about the answer for my question above.

Again, thanks for the input and help!
Maybe my answer was a bit confusing, sorry.

Setting the 3D Effect Strength to 0 only affects the skin.

Kodi Wrote:Defines the strength of the stereoscopic 3D effect in the GUI. This is done by controlling the depth of perception within the GUI, so the higher the value, the more elements will pop out of the screen. [Zero] Disables the stereoscopic 3D effect of the GUI.
For a good visual experience, the value should be higher for small screens and lower for large screens. Note: this is not supported by all skins.

The subtitles 3D depth affects the subtitles when playing back 3D video.

Kodi Wrote:Sets the visual depth of subtitles for stereoscopic 3D videos. The higher the value, the closer the subtitles will appear to the viewer.
Sorry, I'm not seeing these 2d options in the settings. I've even downloaded the Rapier skin to test. Unless it's Pi specific (as I'm using my PC currently)/
Which version of Kodi do you use?

You have to use Kodi Jarvis for this to work.

System > Settings > Appearance > Skin > Stereoscopic 3D effect strength

System > Settings > Videos > Subtitles > Stereoscopic 3D depth of subtitles

Maybe the settings level have to be expert.
Crap it's in Jarvis. I spotted that before but it didn't register. I'm running the final Isengard on my PC but the Pi is on Krypton? Whatever 17 is. It makes sense now and I will check into it further.

Thanks for walking me through this silly missunderstanding.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
3D Skin Options/Changes0