after that ^^

and after you are on a new distro

please post the outputs of:

Code:
apt-cache policy xbmc

and

Code:
apt-cache policy kodi

now, after you added the xbmc repo, there should be something listed after you entered the command with kodi

If that is the case, just try a:

Code:
sudo apt-get install kodi
I went here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1295052
to see if I can get the OS upgrade to complete. I haven't done it yet, but read that it may be better to just download a recent Ubuntu ISO to a USB stick and re-load new?
I wouldn't want it to overwrite my GRUB setup though ... (windows 7 partition).
Would I need to uninstall and reinstall Nvidia drivers as well?
David - I was able to run do-release-upgrade after installing the update-manager-core, but it came back that I am current on Ubuntu.

so I continued with your steps and here are the results (Kodi still not found):

xbmc:
Installed: 2:13.0~git20140506.0839-gotham-0quantal
Candidate: 2:13.0~git20140506.0839-gotham-0quantal
Version table:
*** 2:13.0~git20140506.0839-gotham-0quantal 0
500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu/ quantal/main i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
michael@Acer-Aspire-R3700:~$ apt-cache policy kodi
N: Unable to locate package kodi
michael@Acer-Aspire-R3700:~$ sudo apt-get install kodi
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package kodi
$ sudo do-release-upgrade
Checking for a new Ubuntu release
No new release found
Well ... I am stuck right now in trying to upgrade my version 13 XBMC system to Kodi.
If it turns out I am not able to update myself, then I'll have to just stay with the existing installation and add new movies outside of XBMC.
I liked the scrapers and the add-ons very much. They added "richness" to the system.
Are you sure that machine is online?

Well, if that won't work, my knowledge ends here. If it would be my PC I would do a fresh install of Kodibuntu. Be aware to choose the correct partition at installing, to avoid deleting your Windows partition.

If you use Kodibuntu (or Lubuntu and Kodi on top; which is nearly the same) you shouldn't be in need of installing additional drivers. But the logfile after installing will tell most. It's not a hard deal to install NVidia drivers. They have their own repo. But let's talk about that if it's necessary.
(2016-01-16, 02:38)David1977 Wrote: Are you sure that machine is online?

Well, if that won't work, my knowledge ends here. If it would be my PC I would do a fresh install of Kodibuntu. Be aware to choose the correct partition at installing, to avoid deleting your Windows partition.

If you use Kodibuntu (or Lubuntu and Kodi on top; which is nearly the same) you shouldn't be in need of installing additional drivers. But the logfile after installing will tell most. It's not a hard deal to install NVidia drivers. They have their own repo. But let's talk about that if it's necessary.

O.k. - I'm ready to do a clean instal ... I'll need to install the nvidia drivers though.
Install question:

I downloaded the Kodi install (contains version 14.0) and created a bootable USB. I loaded Kodi from this and put it into "try it" mode.
Worked fine. I updated the system and brought it to 15.2 without any issue (just follow the instructions).

I like it - works great - all the add-ons began to load (scrapers, IMDB, etc.).

so now... do I go and reboot except this time "install" ? It will write over my older XBMC version, but that's o.k., I'm done keeping that around.

thanks
When you first boot there should be an install option.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-01-17, 00:56)nickr Wrote: When you first boot there should be an install option.

Yes - I saw that - just wanted to verify if I wanted to do expert install or just plain install. I want to be able to select the partition to put the operating system and Kodi.
Out of caution I would choose expert.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-01-17, 01:38)nickr Wrote: Out of caution I would choose expert.

Got it.... thanks
Will let you know how the install goes and the result. I'm excited about getting my "xbmc" updated to Kodi and getting the latest add-ons!
Thanks everyone - success!

I am at Kodi version 15.2 installed and running.
Now I have to update some settings for audio/video and should be good to go.

Do I need to download and install the Nvidia driver for ION ? or just use what is here working (How do I check what driver it is using currently?)

Kodi is nice.
/var/log/Xorg.0.log

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie question on install0